Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ThunderHorse

Strength of the SEA community

49 comments in this topic

2 posts
105 battles

Just decided to give WOWS a go and without thinking bought premium on my SEA account.  Been a few years since I played a Wargaming.net game and I'm wondering if it was a mistake to use my SEA account vs my NA one.

What are the player numbers like on the SEA server?  Also how is the community support regarding events, specials etc here vs NA?

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,182 battles

The biggest issue for me is the language barrier.

Players communicate rarely via in game chat and when it does happen, it's often in a language that I cannot understand.

As such, communication is virtually non existent - players don't or cannot respond to chat advice, orders, etc.

It does feel... lonely sometimes...

I get the most enjoyment when I can form a division with English speaking players, mostly Aussies (friends or part of an Aussie/NZ "fleet"). Then it shines.

Tee

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

What are the player numbers like on the SEA server? 

20kish on prime time.

Also how is the community support regarding events, specials etc here vs NA?

Same old.

Atm specials for WoWS are pretty much just "This weekend x2 exp!" for every server.

If WoT is anything to go by then the future ones will be pretty much the same for each server with the difference

being what each server has running at a time.

I.e. SEA has x3 exp; x1.5 crew exp; 30% price reduced for modules

NA has x5 exp; 30% price reduced for modules; some pretty cool mission with free gold and stuff

Some months later SEA has the NA special with slightly differing stuff and NA gets a "regular" one.

As for events, there's usually a decent amount, looking forward to the "draw your favourite ship as a person" art event

where "some dude" wins by drawing a stick dude :P

Aside from that community wise the SEA players tend to be a bit more "timid".

Generally most interactions seem to be occuring outside the forums or game in social media groups.

My theory is that people don't wish to get into any kind of confrontation and thus prefer a artificial habitat

where others have the same opinion.

The in-game chat usually reflects this nicely.

Even those capable of utilising english won't do it unless you run into the rare talkative guy/backseat gamer.

There's also the rare type that gives genuinely useful tactical information.

Either way, when in battle you have a 50/50 chance to get a response from someone when you write something.

Comparing it to NA you'll prolly get a response almost every time, wether that's a response you'd like to have...

Well... I guess that depends on the point of view... :hiding:

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

There's also the rare type that gives genuinely useful tactical information.

Unicorn lies - I've never seen a screenshot of this... :trollface:

For me it's usually one of the active forum guys...

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I'm Aussie, nothing we say should be taken seriously...

I wouldn't say aussies are always joking though, more like what aussies do is always a joke. :coin:

#FriendlyBanter

#PlzZhisIzNoInsult

[1-ATF]
Beta Tester
39 posts
4,058 battles
Player numbers are fine, but find a bunch of people to div up with or games can get boring real fast since nobody talks at all - in a language that you can read, at least.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

I wouldn't say aussies are always joking though, more like what aussies do is always a joke. :coin:

#FriendlyBanter

#PlzZhisIzNoInsult

Thought Germans didn't know how to joke? :trollface:

65 posts
2,362 battles

The biggest issue for me is the language barrier.

Players communicate rarely via in game chat and when it does happen, it's often in a language that I cannot understand.

As such, communication is virtually non existent - players don't or cannot respond to chat advice, orders, etc.

It does feel... lonely sometimes...

I get the most enjoyment when I can form a division with English speaking players, mostly Aussies (friends or part of an Aussie/NZ "fleet"). Then it shines.

Tee

Admiral_Tee pretty much nailed it.

If I could go back and whisper in my ear when I started playing this, I would have gone to the NA server instead.

The language barrier is the worst imho, hardly anyone speaks in english, and its especially frustrating when you're in a Tier X cruiser trying work with a Tier X BB and all you can see is: "▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮".

It is basically like a team game where your team mates have all had their comms redacted and you're trying to look for something that you can use.

For some reason the .asia server is also completely fascinated with some form of anime resulting in a community that is constantly saying "POI" over and over again even though its largely meaningless to everyone else and they just don't care.

It results in a pretty lonely gameplay.

For now, I'm hoping we get a dedicated clan system for .asia so that I can ignore pub chat and focus on clan chat. 

Edited by Osi

2 posts
105 battles

Thanks for all the input guys. I was more worried about player numbers when I logged on for the first time and saw only ~2000 ppl on.  

Joining a clan solves the communication/tactical play issue so if I want more than some casual fun then that's a option.

Already having a blast in the low tiers (once I realised I was playing COOP and stopped and then hunted all over the UI for my crew management and found I haven't unlocked it yet) thanks WG :P

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

If you can get similar ping on NA, and frankly stability and packet loss are more important, then if you're an English speaker I'd go there.

I regret transferring my WoT to Asia, and it's largely because of that that my WoWS is also here.

As has been said, however, there's precious little in most games that gives any real sense of playing with other people.

This has nothing to do with game play. I'm not in a position to comment on that, not having played WoWS on NA.

For a sense of playing with people and being able to communicate, in other words some sense of 'team' and not you v 23 people, 11 of whom don't benefit from shooting you, I'd go to a server where the overwhelming majority of people speak the same language as I.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Admiral_Tee pretty much nailed it.

If I could go back and whisper in my ear when I started playing this, I would have gone to the NA server instead.

The language barrier is the worst imho, hardly anyone speaks in english, and its especially frustrating when you're in a Tier X cruiser trying work with a Tier X BB and all you can see is: "▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮".

It is basically like a team game where your team mates have all had their comms redacted and you're trying to look for something that you can use.

For some reason the .asia server is also completely fascinated with some form of anime resulting in a community that is constantly saying "POI" over and over again even though its largely meaningless to everyone else and they just don't care.

It results in a pretty lonely gameplay.

For now, I'm hoping we get a dedicated clan system for .asia so that I can ignore pub chat and focus on clan chat. 

I'll never understand players like you.

I got utterly frustrated with the EU server and went to play on SEA instead.

That I actually got to transfer all my stuff over later was never really planned from my side.

I dunno, maybe it's me being weird, but if I don't like playing on a server then I'll leave it... *shrug*

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

I'll never understand players like you.

I got utterly frustrated with the EU server and went to play on SEA instead.

That I actually got to transfer all my stuff over later was never really planned from my side.

I dunno, maybe it's me being weird, but if I don't like playing on a server then I'll leave it... *shrug*

Occam's Razor. :P

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

^

Level of outright cheating etc is really 'good', on the other hand; at least it is for WoT, and I imagine the usual suspects will do their best in this game as well.

Sign in to follow this