Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
UnasSinkerOfShips

Oh look, another Destroyers and Torpedoes are OP thread...

45 comments in this topic

406 posts
6,287 battles

Okay - hopefully I will be able to put across why I think this is the case in a way that doesn't cause people to win at QQ bingo....

My preferred class in Battleships - currently working up the US line (I want the Iowa...) and after getting annoyed with getting Torpedoed, I decided to try my hand at the Destroyer line to see how it played - so far finding it much easier - and am sinking more ships with my Destroyer than I seem to be with my Battleship.

Now on Torpedoes - they are a high skill/high reward weapon, and also a fair amount of recipient ineptitude is required (IE BB drivers who keep driving straight) - I don't have any problem with this per-se.

DDs should be nimble - afterall they are unarmed and that is their defense against being sunk.

So why do I say they are OP?

RNG - Torpedoes do not suffer from RNG, you can fire a wide or tight spread and the  torpedoes will always follow a predictable spread pattern - once mastered, this means that they can be wielded with excellent precision. Now compare to a set of 15 inch guns - with their massive amount of RNG - now I get that dispersion needs to happen for game balance, and on occasion, the RNGesus smileth upon me and I nail that pesky DD with a single broadside after 3-4 rounds hit. But let us compare an enagement - BB vs DD - the engagement realistically starts at around the 10 Km mark, although possible to land hits further away from that (assuming the DD is spotted) the hang time and the nimbleness of the DD means it is unlikely. At this distance a good BB captain who has seen the DD can start turning, adjusting speed etc to throw off the torpedoes, and the DD captain can do likewise to through off the shots - Even with perfectly aimed shots, it is very easy to straddle a DD at this range, the torpedoes however don't have this problem. Lets assume the first salvos missed, so we close to 7 Km, again, the Torpedoes have no RNG, yet the big guns can straddle the target at this range. Assume out BB captain is a master and is rudder shifting like a man possessed and the torps miss again - we close to 5 Km - surely, we can score hits at this  range with our guns - it is possible, but I have managed to straddle a DD at these ranges (which in nautical terms is Knife-fighting range) and at such close ranges, the Torpedoes are virtually guaranteed at least one hit, the secondary batteries although useful are about as accurate as the main batteries (Lord Nelson would have had the gunnery teams flogged...) - even when the destroyer is selected as a priority target

The point of this - I don't want to make BBs to have super accurate guns (this would make them OP) nor do I want to Nerf DD to the point that they aren't fun (cause they are fun) but there is something wrong when your main artillery (with your 30 second reload time) is straddling (so the shots are going long and falling short and inline with the enemy, so you know they were on target) within such close ranges and not guaranteed a hit (thanks RNG), whereas the enemy with their torpedoes are guaranteed a hit (because torpedoes have no RNG)

I am fully expecting a number of DD captain to wax lyrical about how their class isn't OP at all, and that I need  to learn to play better etc. - but consider my last point: Your torpedoes are always going to go where you fire them to go, with a constant and predictable  spread pattern, My guns on the other hand, thanks to RNG are only slightly better than chance at ranges where perfectly aimed shots should be guaranteed a hit.

And that is why I say that they are OP - when you are guaranteed a hit at a range and I am not guaranteed a hit at the same range.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

@Missing shots

All ships turn differently, however ship classes usually turn similiar enough

to determine the evasive maneuvers they could do.

Thus if you have a good DD player opposing you the best way to deal with him

is to fire shots in small salvos.

For example a 6 turret BB fires 3 salvos á 2 turrets.

This allows you to cover all 3 options a ship has.

Left, right and straight.

Personally I fire a full salvo at first in hope that the DD won't attempt evasive maneuvers

or fails to do them properly.

If the DD player dodges all shots (And it wasn't me being bad at aiming) then

I reconsider and fire in pairs.

Bottom line is, if I want to hit a ship then I'll hit it unless I derp out.

Most of the times I miss it's because I underestimated a ship's speed or the range,

not because a ship is actively doing proper evasive maneuvers.

@Theoretical Engagement

I prefer practice.

In combat with a Kongou.

The nearby BB had been entirely useless so far, missing all his shots and running away from the Kongou asap.

XVN8RNU.jpg

Enemy DD spotted on minimap.

Take note of the battle timer.

3DPhNro.jpg

5 seconds later, my guns are turning towards the DD and I've changed my course.

n5XXxyj.jpg

Without time to reload to HE I fire all guns with some effect.

aTDzukX.jpg

ZDQG8R8.jpg

Here I make a crucial mistake, instead of reloading HE I load AP once again.

The hope was to fire at the BB again, however by the time I realised the DD was still the higher threat I had already passed

the point of no return for switching ammo.

xa6h3RR.jpg

Second salvo of AP fired, 5 hits, almost sinking the DD.

If I had reloaded HE the DD threat would've been gone for good.

hUwD1zQ.jpg

63TCZcP.jpg

Finally the enemy torpedoes appear.

Being more concerned with the damage potential of a full AP salvo by the Kongou

I didn't turn far enough to avoid all torpedoes.

However I still manage to only get hit by a single torpedo.

Ve5lsVQ.png

Using both Damage Control and Repair Party I'm back to 20k hitpoints within the next 30 seconds.

The DD never got close enough for a threatening torpedo salvo again, since he couldn't risk getting hit again.

The game ended with a victory for my team and I got a good amount of exp/credits for my work.

aHN0R7V.jpg

Edited by Retia

[1-ATF]
Beta Tester
39 posts
4,058 battles

Try shooting under 4km next time - with recent patches that's the range where the guns gain an incredible accuracy buff.

First things first - you have two very different roles. Your battleship can kill enemy ships at 17, 18km (or at least shave off a ton of HP) with a single well-placed salvo. You get to fire this salvo once every thirty seconds. Eventually one of those salvos are going to stick, and you are going to kill your enemy. In exchange you kinda suck at close range battles against well-played destroyers (well-played, mind you, bad destroyer captains are laughably easy to deal with even as a BB) because your guns are huge and pondering and can't seem to fire in a straight line at a tiny target.

Now, the destroyer - what can the guy do at said distance? Maybe a US or Russian DD can pepper the enemy with irritating gunfire. Death of a thousand cuts and all that. A IJN DD can launch torps and hope with all his might that they'll hit something (they probably won't). In exchange, they're phenomenal at close-range engagements where their torpedo armaments are nigh undodgeable. Well, if they're played well at least.

Both classes have a thing they're good at and a thing they're bad at. You can't just take one type of engagement into account and ignore all the others. What happens if it's a BB vs a CA under 10km? Well, BB wins most of the time. CA vs DD? CA wins most of the time.

The whole point is not to engage a DD in a CQB as a BB. If you had your team melt around you and found yourself in that situation, well, bad luck. If you knowingly waded into a situation where that would happen (like rounding an island with less than 2km between you and said island), you're asking for trouble.

You can feel free to disagree with me. I play DDs, BBs and CAs, and all classes have their strengths and weaknesses. It's just learning how not to get into a situation where you're at a disadvantage.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Rock, paper,scissors.

Keep away from DDs when in a Battleship.

Keep away from Cruisers when in a Destroyer.

Keep away from Battleships when in a Cruiser.

I know it's over simplistic, but a good rule of thumb. 

So in an ideal world, whilst in your BB, you want to have a cruiser nearby to keep that pesky DD at bay.

IMHO..about the accuracy of torpoidoes, imagine the mayhem if we had torps running away crazily due to RNG?...More TKs than barnacles on your hull.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

DDs are powerful until tier 5; after that their performance compared with other vessels declines steadily.

BBs are in many respects UNDERPOWERED until tier 6. Sure, they can always be powerful, but they do not prove so very consistently and have marked weaknesses until tier 6 (v planes or DDs or both).

In short, DDs generally aren't worth the effort required after tier 5 unless you simply happen to enjoy the game play, while BBs suck to various degrees until tiers 6 then 8-10 (tier 7 is an oddity where both BBs tend to be worse than tier 6 in many respects in-game).

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

Rock, paper,scissors.

If it actually worked, sure, but it's something closer along the lines of, Aircraft carriers > everything, battleships > everything but aircraft carriers, and everything else gets stuffed into niche roles.

As to the OP, low tier destroyers are for the most part strong, while high tier destroyers are generally weak, and the inverse is somewhat true for battleships (their low tiers are just slightly below average, but end up absurdly strong at the high tiers), this is a balance fault of WG's, and not related to torpedoes or classes as a whole.

406 posts
6,287 battles

Rock, paper,scissors.

Keep away from DDs when in a Battleship.

Keep away from Cruisers when in a Destroyer.

Keep away from Battleships when in a Cruiser.

So in an ideal world, whilst in your BB, you want to have a cruiser nearby to keep that pesky DD at bay.

IMHO..about the accuracy of torpoidoes, imagine the mayhem if we had torps running away crazily due to RNG?...More TKs than barnacles on your hull.

The problem is with that is as a BB you can't stay away from anything (except your own team when everyone runs off at 25-30 knots and you are still chugging at 20 knots....)

I'm not saying that Torps need RNG - but IMO, with a DD traveling in a straight line at less than 7 Km (so well inside the DD torpedo range) my shots shouldn't be straddling the enemy - or my secondary batteries should be much more accurate.

In fact in one match I even shot at a grounded DD at around 6 km - None my my shots hit - Stationary target, 6 km away, not a single hit - this is what I mean by RNG makes a DD too powerful.

That all said - I'm currently at Tier 6 (New Mexico) and if everyone says things start to get better then I will have to wait and see.

As a side note, I'm not salty when I'm against a good DD captain who is ducking and diving and avoiding the shots, that's fine, its the ones that travel in a straight line and thanks to RNG I STILL can't land a shot.

And before anyone goes 'l2aim n00b', my aim is pretty good, I managed to land 2 Citadels against an Omaha at 19 Km range last night (go go gadget spotter plane) - got First blood and devastating strike

All in all though - I am still enjoying this game more than any game I have played in 3 Years.

All I need now is the RN line to be released

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

The problem is with that is as a BB you can't stay away from anything (except your own team when everyone runs off at 25-30 knots and you are still chugging at 20 knots....)

I'm not saying that Torps need RNG - but IMO, with a DD traveling in a straight line at less than 7 Km (so well inside the DD torpedo range) my shots shouldn't be straddling the enemy - or my secondary batteries should be much more accurate.

In fact in one match I even shot at a grounded DD at around 6 km - None my my shots hit - Stationary target, 6 km away, not a single hit - this is what I mean by RNG makes a DD too powerful.

That all said - I'm currently at Tier 6 (New Mexico) and if everyone says things start to get better then I will have to wait and see.

As a side note, I'm not salty when I'm against a good DD captain who is ducking and diving and avoiding the shots, that's fine, its the ones that travel in a straight line and thanks to RNG I STILL can't land a shot.

And before anyone goes 'l2aim n00b', my aim is pretty good, I managed to land 2 Citadels against an Omaha at 19 Km range last night (go go gadget spotter plane) - got First blood and devastating strike

All in all though - I am still enjoying this game more than any game I have played in 3 Years.

All I need now is the RN line to be released

I have a questions you have a USS New Mexico (BB-40) and you said none of the shells from that battleship don't hit a single hits on a DD???? Are you joking or what i could 1 Salvo a tier tier 6 USS Cleveland Light Cruiser [CL], tier 5 USS Omaha [ Light Cruiser] CL, tier 7 USS Pensacola Heavy Cruiser [CA]<---- within 14KM, tier 5 IJN Furutaka Heavy Cruiser [CA], IJN Aoba Heavy Cruiser [CA] with it full DP also known as health point [HP], 1 Salvo a Tier 7 above ships such as Myoko, Atago, Ibuki, Izumo, Amagi, Tirpitz, Nagato, Colorado, Iowa  and Yamato but now you telling me you can't hit a DD wow..... and i doubt new tree line could even save you!

[FYI: USS New Mexico (BB-40) is the best mid tier of it US Navy Battleships lines]

As for Destroyer [DD] I already sunk tons of it which is Minekaze, Clemson, Nicholas, Farragut, Hashuharu, Isokaze, Sims, Mahan or Benson.

Edited by davud1537

406 posts
6,287 battles

I have a questions you have a USS New Mexico (BB-40) and you said none of the shells from that battleship don't hit a single hits on a DD???? Are you joking or what i could 1 Salvo a tier tier 6 USS Cleveland Light Cruiser [CL], tier 5 USS Omaha [ Light Cruiser] CL, tier 7 USS Pensacola Heavy Cruiser [CA]<---- within 14KM, tier 5 IJN Furutaka Heavy Cruiser [CA], IJN Aoba Heavy Cruiser [CA] with it full DP also known as health point [HP], 1 Salvo a Tier 7 above ships such as Myoko, Atago, Ibuki, Izumo, Amagi, Tirpitz, Nagato, Colorado, Iowa  and Yamato but now you telling me you can't hit a DD wow..... and i doubt new tree line could even save you!

[FYI: USS New Mexico (BB-40) is the best mid tier of it US Navy Battleships lines]

Don't get me wrong - I can land shots - last night I landed 55 shots with 5 Citadels (that was a 3000 xp round :D) - however in another game that night, shooting at a stationary target 6 Km away, none of the shells hit a grounded DD. I get that RNG sometimes works in your favor, and other times doesn't - but when you compare that if that DD had shot at me and I was stationary, he would be guaranteed a hit, the RNG as it stands is too strong for the 5-10 Km ranges, I don't mind when I am sniping at someone 20 Km away and I miss all the shots, thats to be expected, but the dispersion at closer ranges is a bit too wild.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Don't get me wrong - I can land shots - last night I landed 55 shots with 5 Citadels (that was a 3000 xp round :D) - however in another game that night, shooting at a stationary target 6 Km away, none of the shells hit a grounded DD. I get that RNG sometimes works in your favor, and other times doesn't - but when you compare that if that DD had shot at me and I was stationary, he would be guaranteed a hit, the RNG as it stands is too strong for the 5-10 Km ranges, I don't mind when I am sniping at someone 20 Km away and I miss all the shots, thats to be expected, but the dispersion at closer ranges is a bit too wild.

You don't miss a shots when snipeing 20kms away.... This USS New Mexico (BB-40) Don't fire like a volley of shotgun.... Even with CQB USS New Mexico (BB-40 ) still win.

406 posts
6,287 battles

You don't miss a shots when snipeing 20kms away.... This USS New Mexico (BB-40) Don't fire like a volley of shotgun.... Even with CQB USS New Mexico (BB-40 ) still win.

Do you have any videos of your gameplay anywhere? I would be interested to compare how you play the New Mexico. What Perks/commander skills do you have trained?

As a general rule I always broadside (it is just so satisfying) - does this increase the RNG? Should I be ripple  firing?

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Do you have any videos of your gameplay anywhere? I would be interested to compare how you play the New Mexico. What Perks/commander skills do you have trained?

As a general rule I always broadside (it is just so satisfying) - does this increase the RNG? Should I be ripple  firing?

How i play the New Mexico go look my stats on warships then, Yes always broardside and do a 1 volley of salvo shots for maximum dmg not ripple.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

It's a shame RNG isn't affected by the enemy ship's behaviour. It's a simple fact that the slower a target was moving the more accurately vessels of this era could fire at it as the target's movement is a variable so reducing it reduces the complexity of the fire control solution.

Would be nice if clowns who think going astern is some incredibly clever trick found they got pounded, just as it's incredibly frustrating to fire a broadside at something that has run aground and see all of the shots miss.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,526 battles

Okay - hopefully I will be able to put across why I think this is the case in a way that doesn't cause people to win at QQ bingo....

My preferred class in Battleships - currently working up the US line (I want the Iowa...) and after getting annoyed with getting Torpedoed, I decided to try my hand at the Destroyer line to see how it played - so far finding it much easier - and am sinking more ships with my Destroyer than I seem to be with my Battleship.

Now on Torpedoes - they are a high skill/high reward weapon, and also a fair amount of recipient ineptitude is required (IE BB drivers who keep driving straight) - I don't have any problem with this per-se.

DDs should be nimble - afterall they are unarmed and that is their defense against being sunk.

So why do I say they are OP?

RNG - Torpedoes do not suffer from RNG, you can fire a wide or tight spread and the  torpedoes will always follow a predictable spread pattern - once mastered, this means that they can be wielded with excellent precision. Now compare to a set of 15 inch guns - with their massive amount of RNG - now I get that dispersion needs to happen for game balance, and on occasion, the RNGesus smileth upon me and I nail that pesky DD with a single broadside after 3-4 rounds hit. But let us compare an enagement - BB vs DD - the engagement realistically starts at around the 10 Km mark, although possible to land hits further away from that (assuming the DD is spotted) the hang time and the nimbleness of the DD means it is unlikely. At this distance a good BB captain who has seen the DD can start turning, adjusting speed etc to throw off the torpedoes, and the DD captain can do likewise to through off the shots - Even with perfectly aimed shots, it is very easy to straddle a DD at this range, the torpedoes however don't have this problem. Lets assume the first salvos missed, so we close to 7 Km, again, the Torpedoes have no RNG, yet the big guns can straddle the target at this range. Assume out BB captain is a master and is rudder shifting like a man possessed and the torps miss again - we close to 5 Km - surely, we can score hits at this  range with our guns - it is possible, but I have managed to straddle a DD at these ranges (which in nautical terms is Knife-fighting range) and at such close ranges, the Torpedoes are virtually guaranteed at least one hit, the secondary batteries although useful are about as accurate as the main batteries (Lord Nelson would have had the gunnery teams flogged...) - even when the destroyer is selected as a priority target

The point of this - I don't want to make BBs to have super accurate guns (this would make them OP) nor do I want to Nerf DD to the point that they aren't fun (cause they are fun) but there is something wrong when your main artillery (with your 30 second reload time) is straddling (so the shots are going long and falling short and inline with the enemy, so you know they were on target) within such close ranges and not guaranteed a hit (thanks RNG), whereas the enemy with their torpedoes are guaranteed a hit (because torpedoes have no RNG)

I am fully expecting a number of DD captain to wax lyrical about how their class isn't OP at all, and that I need  to learn to play better etc. - but consider my last point: Your torpedoes are always going to go where you fire them to go, with a constant and predictable  spread pattern, My guns on the other hand, thanks to RNG are only slightly better than chance at ranges where perfectly aimed shots should be guaranteed a hit.

And that is why I say that they are OP - when you are guaranteed a hit at a range and I am not guaranteed a hit at the same range.

I'm primarily a IJN CA player, however I've unlocked upto (and including) Hatsuharu (Tier 7 IJN DD)

Ok firstly, NOT having a go...

Having a look at your stats:

You've only just cracked into Tier 6 BBs by the looks of things and you've played 1 game in an Umikaze (could be a few more in the last 24 hours however).

Basically you are only just starting to get into tiers where DDs start becoming useless (in comparison to lower tiers).

• Up to tier 5 IJN DDs have good torps.
  • Up to tier 5 player skills levels are generally lacking
  • Up to tier 6 BBs are slow behemoths.

Tiers 1-5, IJN DDs are powerhouses due to facts above. Generally there is a significant skill difference to the tier 7+ matches. The biggest differences are into the intermediate - advanced skill area.

So:

• Situational awareness. This is knowing where enemy ships are and where they'll most likely go, where those torp planes are coming from, who's the target.
  • Role. This is little things, like your AA-capable cruisers hanging around BBs/CVs at key intervals. CVs at back, then BBs, then CAs, then DDs. Specially early on in the battle, DDs scouting/capping.
  • First Barrage. Skilled CA/BB will hit with their first salvo almost every time, against any target cept DDs. It's because they can quickly gauge based on a lots of little bits of info how fast the enemy ship is going, at what bearing (even during a turn) and where to aim because of that.
  • Prediction and Priority. You'll see good players in divs constantly prioritising targets. At a simple level that's the weakest or most isolated, the better players will always prioritise the enemy who can do damage/is doing damage. You'll also see good players prediction where/when a DD/torp planes are going to drop torps.

There are many more tips and tricks, however I'm sure you get the idea.

At lower tiers, you see little or none of this. (I regularly play in tier 1-2s and will easily get 3+ kills most games). I do this to work on my basics, as doing your basics well in low-tier matches makes a big difference.

From about Tier 5/6 and up, DDs become more about scout/capture/area denial/decoy than actually getting kills. And most of this is due to the above, player skill gets much better. Also DDs are Close Combat specialists, and higher tier battles are about bigger ranges.

Low tier DDs are good, however it's teaching you how to play one because high-tier is more of a nightmare.

Also when they did the nerf on the Minekaze that 'everyone' wanted - they ruined it. It's basically a quicker Isokaze now, the only difference in capability between the two is that the Minekaze sees higher tier matches. Lower tier DDs DO NOT need a nerf. Most tier 6+ IJN DDs need a bit of a buff, with many of the USN ones needing one as well. (My solution is to add spotting XP for DDs)

Overall I don't have a problem with DDs at lower tiers (however I play Cruisers mostly). Most friends I play with don't either, they expect to get hit once on a close range salvo of torps. If I'm in a CL/A and the DD is getting that close, either my friend is playing wrong, or I am. As my job is support the BB/CVs and that includes AA and DD screen.

Edited by S4pp3R

406 posts
6,287 battles

I'm primarily a IJN CA player, however I've unlocked upto (and including) Hatsuharu (Tier 7 IJN DD)

Ok firstly, NOT having a go...

Having a look at your stats:

You've only just cracked into Tier 6 BBs by the looks of things and you've played 1 game in an Umikaze (could be a few more in the last 24 hours however).

Basically you are only just starting to get into tiers where DDs start becoming useless (in comparison to lower tiers).

• Up to tier 5 IJN DDs have good torps.
  • Up to tier 5 player skills levels are generally lacking
  • Up to tier 6 BBs are slow behemoths.

Tiers 1-5, IJN DDs are powerhouses due to facts above. Generally there is a significant skill difference to the tier 7+ matches. The biggest differences are into the intermediate - advanced skill area.

So:

• Situational awareness. This is knowing where enemy ships are and where they'll most likely go, where those torp planes are coming from, who's the target.
  • Role. This is little things, like your AA-capable cruisers hanging around BBs/CVs at key intervals. CVs at back, then BBs, then CAs, then DDs. Specially early on in the battle, DDs scouting/capping.
  • First Barrage. Skilled CA/BB will hit with their first salvo almost every time, against any target cept DDs. It's because they can quickly gauge based on a lots of little bits of info how fast the enemy ship is going, at what bearing (even during a turn) and where to aim because of that.
  • Prediction and Priority. You'll see good players in divs constantly prioritising targets. At a simple level that's the weakest or most isolated, the better players will always prioritise the enemy who can do damage/is doing damage. You'll also see good players prediction where/when a DD/torp planes are going to drop torps.

There are many more tips and tricks, however I'm sure you get the idea.

At lower tiers, you see little or none of this. (I regularly play in tier 1-2s and will easily get 3+ kills most games). I do this to work on my basics, as doing your basics well in low-tier matches makes a big difference.

From about Tier 5/6 and up, DDs become more about scout/capture/area denial/decoy than actually getting kills. And most of this is due to the above, player skill gets much better. Also DDs are Close Combat specialists, and higher tier battles are about bigger ranges.

Low tier DDs are good, however it's teaching you how to play one because high-tier is more of a nightmare.

Also when they did the nerf on the Minekaze that 'everyone' wanted - they ruined it. It's basically a quicker Isokaze now, the only difference in capability between the two is that the Minekaze sees higher tier matches. Lower tier DDs DO NOT need a nerf. Most tier 6+ IJN DDs need a bit of a buff, with many of the USN ones needing one as well. (My solution is to add spotting XP for DDs)

Overall I don't have a problem with DDs at lower tiers (however I play Cruisers mostly). Most friends I play with don't either, they expect to get hit once on a close range salvo of torps. If I'm in a CL/A and the DD is getting that close, either my friend is playing wrong, or I am. As my job is support the BB/CVs and that includes AA and DD screen.

My Stats must be old - I've almost got my final upgrade for my New Mexico and am currently working towards my Minekaze. I hear the comments that at higher tiers, it is more likely that I will be playing with more experianced players and so the current feeling that driving a DD is akin to seal clubbing may fade - I still think that the lower tier BB big guns need a little bit of loving at close ranges (not much) as I said, when firing a full broadside at a stationary target and scoring 0 hits, it is a tad frustrating (even more so when I can land citadels at 20 Km.....)

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

My Stats must be old - I've almost got my final upgrade for my New Mexico and am currently working towards my Minekaze. I hear the comments that at higher tiers, it is more likely that I will be playing with more experianced players and so the current feeling that driving a DD is akin to seal clubbing may fade - I still think that the lower tier BB big guns need a little bit of loving at close ranges (not much) as I said, when firing a full broadside at a stationary target and scoring 0 hits, it is a tad frustrating (even more so when I can land citadels at 20 Km.....)

I could land a Citadel easily on Fuso, Kongo and other ship on within 18-20km with using AP full broardside salvos hits. It depend how you play actually and how where you aim it i would love to show you my pass New Mexico images but currently i don't have them in my mobile devices only in my computer system there.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,526 battles

Something is seriously wrong with the WoWS stat sites,

warshipstats.com said updated yesterday and had you with 1 Umikaze game.

wowsdb.info had completely different data.

Either way as I said wasn't having a go at ya, only thing that mattered was tier of DDs (above tier 5 or not).

Overall low-tier DDs can be clubbers (so can CLs) but that's due to player skill level more than anything. (If I'm aiming torps at Tier 7, I account for dodging, at against a tier 3 BB - I don't even bother)

It's the same as WoT - there is nothing particularly OP about the loltractor but I use it to carry tier 2 games regularly. 95% of players at tier 1 don't know all the tricks yet.

Although they did do a short range gun-accuracy buff recently I agree with you to a degree. The problem with that point is that it also could be user-error (you know lowbies not knowing how to aim) I don't know as I'm only ever on the receiving end of their fire.

The big point there is however that a DD shouldn't be getting within 6-7km of a BB. If they do, I expect the BB to die.

Edited by S4pp3R

295 posts
501 battles

people say DD torps are OP....

one-shotted a full health tier 7 DD in my kongo (really one shot) with my secondary b4 he can turn and fire his torps (under 3 km) :hiding:

54 posts
7,230 battles

While I also hate the BB shot scatter, I'll point out one thing you said that could be your problem against dd's

You said you ALWAYS fire broadsides. If you're doing that to a DD at under 7km (even then), your asking to die. Charge them, ram them if you have to. It usually put's the aim off. let's you get even close where you DON"T scatter your shots.

[1-ATF]
Beta Tester
39 posts
4,058 battles

Well, a DD shooting at you does little pinpricks of damage. You shooting at the DD on the other hand - if you land a single hit that's a fifth of his health off. Yes, RNG may suck, but you can't really do a one-to-one comparison. BBs HAVE to be balanced that way or everything that's not a BB within 10km is going to be horrible to play, and games are going to become even bigger sniper-fests than they are now.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

*searches TheDemonLord666 in profile website

*200~ games

*highest tier = 5

me = no wonder.

Destroyers are a bit OP at low tier and sink so deep  in shithole starting at tier 6 upto tier 10 while the battleships are the exact opposite.

DDs are underpowered.

Edited by Deicide

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

*200~ games

*highest tier = 5

me = no wonder.

Destroyers are a bit OP at low tier and sink so deep  in shithole starting at tier 6 upto tier 10 while the battleships are the exact opposite.

DDs are underpowered.

Come on spare him why must you post his stats on here????:ohmy:

406 posts
6,287 battles

*200~ games

*highest tier = 5

me = no wonder.

DDs are underpowered.

Its a fair comment - I still find that shooting stationary destroyers with a BB at less than 10 Km range is woefully innacurate.

Also:

So where are you going to be?

In Torment, In HELL!!!

\m/

Sign in to follow this