Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RG_Kid

There really needs to be better indicator for when you are in smoke

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Smoke mechanism must be really frustrating.

Enemy DD just popped up out of nowhere after the smoke had gone and hit me with a torp spread from 2-3 km away. I didn't have the reaction time to evade the torps.

Either, the smoke is still there even though the smoke has been cleared due to some visual bugs or, there's a cooldown mechanic that still put DD inside smoke concealment that is only gone after a minute.

I have the replay, but i'm too lazy to record, encode, and upload the video. Maybe i'll do it later. This is the 2nd time i had been caught where DD popped out of nowhere even after the smoke is gone. It's a Mutsuki, btw.

EDIT: And in the same match, friendly minekaze somehow was hit by my own torps, despite when i dropped the torps, he was nowhere near  my torps trajectory. GOD!

Edited by RG_Kid

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

You shouldn't really goes into a close range duel with a DD in Any Kind of ship unless you are a USN DD (Which is the only thing they excels at) in the first place, IMO.

But clearer indicator is a good thing, I guess.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

You shouldn't really goes into a close range duel with a DD in Any Kind of ship unless you are a USN DD (Which is the only thing they excels at) in the first place, IMO.

Eh, i have to do it since i was protecting BB who despite knowing they were outnumbered in the top part of the Mediterranean map, still insist going there.

Maybe there's a graphic setting to make the smoke stands out a lot more?

Alpha Tester
392 posts

I thought cruisers are supposed to deal with DDs, but it seems they're virtually outclassed.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I thought cruisers are supposed to deal with DDs, but it seems they're virtually outclassed.

If they don't, DDs lose their one last hope to remotely hope for damage.

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

I would also be content if an audio clip constantly plays of the voice of my ship coughing going "we're in smoke -hack- -wheeze- we should be harder to spot -cough cough-"

350 posts

As soon as the DD lays smoke, anyone with half a clue is opening the distance. Going in close is asking for trouble.

I tend to point my stern at them and try and stay in range to see them once it clears. 

The other thing is that most DDs use the smoke ineffectively and keep getting spotted. If he's broadside on, point sharp ends of boat at DD. Apart from really close range YOLO rushes by maniacal DD drivers, cruisers that get hit by boat launched torps have only themselves to blame.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Strange as this may seem, and I know some of you are probably going to to say WTF? but I agree with RG. Smoke, and the indications of smoke need to be better defined. In Alpha, we turn soft particles off, this allowed for a "thicker" looking smoke on screen, and more of a haze in bino view, but lately I have noticed that this is not happening, or if it is happening, not as much as before.

So, instead of the usual trolling, lets make a few suggestions, see what we can come up with, and I will see if we can get them pushed to the devs!!

Mine:-

1 - Make smoke onscreen thicker looking

2 - In bino view, make it more hazy/smokey looking

3 - place a dotted circle around the smoke after its laid (this has been suggested before)

all right guys, go for it, tell us what you would like to see.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Strange as this may seem, and I know some of you are probably going to to say WTF? but I agree with RG. Smoke, and the indications of smoke need to be better defined. In Alpha, we turn soft particles off, this allowed for a "thicker" looking smoke on screen, and more of a haze in bino view, but lately I have noticed that this is not happening, or if it is happening, not as much as before.

So, instead of the usual trolling, lets make a few suggestions, see what we can come up with, and I will see if we can get them pushed to the devs!!

3 - place a dotted circle around the smoke after its laid (this has been suggested before)

I agree with your #1 option. I usually steer my ship on the 3rd person view, so it's nice to see clearly where the smokes are.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

or better, make smoke graphics like a real smoke. don't make the smoke disappear if you are inside the smoke. just obscure everything including your ship, torps etc. now that's realism

213 posts
4,335 battles

Agree, but from the completely opposite perspective! As a DD, I sometimes find it very hard to see where the edges of my own smokescreen are and sometimes inadvertently wander out of cover to get smashed by the very cruiser I was trying to ambush....

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

I like the #1 ... Like in Beta that when you laying smoke, it show us on screen ... no transparent x-ray vision to see in smoke like current one ...

when you in smoke, you cant see anything onscreen except white smoke ... less visibility ... the visibility range is about 3km. and beyond that are completely white 

so it make like you really in smoke , you cant see where you going, maybe you hit the land, or collision with enemy ship ... it will make smoked area feel like more dangerouse place to go in

Sign in to follow this