Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Vyviel

Real life Russian Navy Fail

10 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

Still the world record for an all-steel coal-powered fleet, though. An epic voyage. Also to be fair about the whole Japanese ghost ships debacle, if I remember correctly the Japanese DID recently acquire English-built torpedo boats that were still in England, so they had real reason to be nervous. If I remember correctly the whole diplomatic shenanigans worked out quite well for Russia, because they were now watched by a Royal navy fleet which actually discouraged real threats from attacking. It's honestly kind of heartbreaking, because a novice fleet had to be pretty much assembled and trained on the way just to lose after travelling around the world. Togo had REAL luck that Russia's admirals had shit luck when it came to getting killed before they had a chance of beating Togo, so much that they needed to send a new fleet to travel that far under a different admiral.

Also the last bit in the article:

"As for Admiral Rozhestvensky, he didn't follow a naval tradition and go down with his ship but survived the war only to commit suicide"

This isn't quite fair I feel. Wasn't he hit in the head and was unconscious for a good part of the battle? He was transferred unconscious to a destroyer and was later captured by the Japanese. It wasn't even him who surrendered the fleet but a subordinate of his, who he gallantly protected and took responsibility for in the following court martial. Also he died of a heart attack at age 60... though that's just from wikipedia and I don't actually have any better sources so that might be wrong. I dunno, I just really feel bad for this fleet because they did try their damnedest. :honoring:

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Still the world record for an all-steel coal-powered fleet, though. An epic voyage. Also to be fair about the whole Japanese ghost ships debacle, if I remember correctly the Japanese DID recently acquire English-built torpedo boats that were still in England, so they had real reason to be nervous. If I remember correctly the whole diplomatic shenanigans worked out quite well for Russia, because they were now watched by a Royal navy fleet which actually discouraged real threats from attacking. It's honestly kind of heartbreaking, because a novice fleet had to be pretty much assembled and trained on the way just to lose after travelling around the world. Togo had REAL luck that Russia's admirals had shit luck when it came to getting killed before they had a chance of beating Togo, so much that they needed to send a new fleet to travel that far under a different admiral.

Also the last bit in the article:

This isn't quite fair I feel. Wasn't he hit in the head and was unconscious for a good part of the battle? He was transferred unconscious to a destroyer and was later captured by the Japanese. It wasn't even him who surrendered the fleet but a subordinate of his, who he gallantly protected and took responsibility for in the following court martial. Also he died of a heart attack at age 60... though that's just from wikipedia and I don't actually have any better sources so that might be wrong. I dunno, I just really feel bad for this fleet because they did try their damnedest. :honoring:

i doubt that the admiral can make any difference, JPN crews are well trained by british and has more experience while most russian crew are just poorly trained peasants. the only real luck togo has is he choose  tsushima which was chosen route by the russian instead of the longer route so he manage to prepare and ambush them, which further  increase the japanese advantage over russians. also iirc the japanese has modern communication equipment compare to the russian too.

clearly the russian underestimated their enemy simply because their are asians.

Super Tester
509 posts

Lol exactly. Considering the Russians couldn't hit a single target and during practice the only hit was on the boat towing the target they had pretty big problems with the quality of the crews. They managed to hit friendly targets more than enemies so would have been all pink ships.

The Japanese were basically seal clubbing them. :teethhappy:

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

To be fair, the start of the Russo-Japanese war had the Russian navy being led by able admirals like Oskar Stark (who was hosting his birthday party when the Japanese started the war with a surprise attack, then wanted to go out and fight but was forbidden by the Viceroy, then was sacked because he became the scapegoat) and Stepan Makarov (who fought and defeated the Japanese navy in some skirmishes before his ship hit a japanese mine while returning from one successful engagement) and crewed by capable men until they could fight no more and needed a scratch fleet from the other side of the world. Who then had numerous disadvantages they tried real hard to overcome (and no fleet CAN overcome until the US Navy managed it with their portable dry docks and amazing logistical and repair capabilities across amazing distances in WW2) against a fleet that was honed by combat, and had fresh boats with clean hulls.

It's a real shame, but c'est la guerre.

On the other hand, the fact that they won so hard against the Russians gave the Japanese the mistaken belief that they can win everything in one single battle. Good news in the end for US naval strategy come world war 2. (Also for the Russians, when Khalkin Gol was fought because the Japanese thought the russians would cave easily like the last time they fought them.)

Sign in to follow this