You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Vyviel

PC Gamer Review WOWS

25 comments in this topic

[POI]
Super Tester
350 posts
3,601 battles

I kinda agree on their verdict 

Edited by Juan_23

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I may be biased - but I agree with more of the comments than the verdict.

Companies don't make games out of charity, they are there to make a profit.

Personally I find the wg.net model a reasonable compromise.  I can pay as/when I feel for a boost in getting over the grind, but also know that when the real dollars are a bit tight I don't have to spend any to get the same experience.  All I loose is a bit of a boost toward the grind.  The core game is free.  Whether you chose to expand that is up to you.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts

He is promoting new player to buy Atlanta~ :hiding:

jk aside, the only thing I don't agree with the reviewer is how he thinks about grinding through tiers, and it is not entirely true that most people 'won't get to see late game ships', because grinding in this game is relatively faster than i.e. WoT.

You can't expect everyone to get a tier 10 like about 1 month since not everyone would like to rush tiers (I am more on trying to get familiar with my ships and try to win more)

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Well....there is no end-game content in WOWs atm....so 'grinding' to tier 10 is not a priority for me.

I'm just enjoying myself in tier 5 - 6 atm, even though i have the Mogami, i am taking it slow.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,832 posts
4,122 battles

I didn't get a tier 10 in wot for about 2 years.  Ive only got three and they are all for CW only.  I cant even see a need for one in this game as Spawnster said, there is not end game content so no need for the stress of a tier 10

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

You will have to grind in every single game. Even games like Call of Duty requires the players to grind for better equipment. This levelling system is way better than games like War Thunder which requires you to throw your credit card at Gaijin

Oh my goodness, something (from you) that I can agree with!

Right now, Wargaming's model is amazing. They know to NEVER EVER sell power, instead selling us small boosts to credits and XP that allow us to cut our grinding times down. Non-paying players don't feel discouraged, which encourages them to spend to cut down on their own grinding times and WG has converted some of their playerbase into paying players.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Well....there is no end-game content in WOWs atm....so 'grinding' to tier 10 is not a priority for me.

I'm just enjoying myself in tier 5 - 6 atm, even though i have the Mogami, i am taking it slow.

Oww shut up you. You and Your St Louis belong in T10 matches :trollface:

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

You will have to grind in every single game. Even games like Call of Duty requires the players to grind for better equipment.

Welcome to one of the many reasons why I don't play "modern" fps.

"I'm a member of this highly trained special forces unit... red dot optics? Nah, I need 8 more levels with this gun to unlock those,

for now I only have holo optics."

No thanks, I have other games like Rainblow Socks: Black Birdy Shield. :P

@Grind:

Reviewers of "highly acclaimed" media outlets get press accounts with either everything unlocked

or an ridiculous amount of gold, free exp and credits.

The reason is that these reviewers have a quota to fullfill each month, thus they don't have the time required

to properly play videogames.

Which in turn usually translates into worse reviews if the company doesn't provide these sites with press accounts,

due to the reviewer never seeing much content.

Hence why you often read:

"The grind in game X is way too long, I played several days and never got past..."

Then you play the game out of curiosity and scratch your head after reaching the endgame content within a week.

And thus why I don't read old media reviews anymore.

They're on a time schedule and the games never matter more than that schedule.

Meanwhile any decent Youtube video is worth 10 times more, not only do I get to see the person play the game

for up to hours, I also get the opinion of someone that's usually more invested into videogames rather than 08/15 journalism.

103 posts
3,940 battles

The biggest thing with any MMO game like this one is that you'll have to grind to higher tier, but I will agree that the fact WG says "hey, Premium is there... but we won't force you if you want to go slow route...." is good. I'd buy premium if the model was done in-game time, because if I buy a 24 hour account and i only play for say 3 hours, 18 hours wasted. That's why I go the slow and steady approach and not power play with my wallet.

I'm happy with WOWS, I couldn't care what the rags say, WG listens to there userbase, even if it takes a little while.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Well .. if I score te game .. it maybe around 8/10 too.
I know the game not finish but WG decide it to official launch, so it give reviewer to do the review this infinished game ...

and I say Lanching the game with 2 nation that have tech tree kind of too early for the game so the point got cut off a lot in that point

1,125 posts

If high tier ship are profitable to play, then there's will be no more lower tier ship sailing into battle at all in future.

high tier ship MUST NOT PROFITABLE, that the right decision.

and for people that complain about how hard or long for grinding money and xp, they have NO SENSE of how MMO game play.

it's took me almost a YEAR to grind my level to max 99 in ragnarok online. (well, that more than 10 years ago when I was just student)

high tier ship MUST NOT BE EASY to grind, that also right decision.

Edited by PGM991

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,513 battles

I may be biased - but I agree with more of the comments than the verdict.

Companies don't make games out of charity, they are there to make a profit.

Personally I find the wg.net model a reasonable compromise.  I can pay as/when I feel for a boost in getting over the grind, but also know that when the real dollars are a bit tight I don't have to spend any to get the same experience.  All I loose is a bit of a boost toward the grind.  The core game is free.  Whether you chose to expand that is up to you.

Only thing I hate paying for is garage/port slots... As I like to keep all my ships (see Pokemon theory). And then money could go to getting all the gold pokemons...

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

World of Warship is more grind-heavy AND the economy is slightly harsher than World of Tanks.

But I think the main problem is that a game take so much longer than World of Tanks to finish, which by no means is a "Fast-paced" game already when you look at probably the fastest paced shooters in the market, Call of Duty or Battlefield or Halo (Tanks and WS are basically shooters with skins, if I am honest).

You can at most take 15 minutes (The time limit) to finish a match in Tanks, and considering how one-sided most of the times MM are, I've times which a match is just over 5 minutes and it's over.

In WS? You'd be lucky if the match ended in 15 minutes.

Admittedly you earn less in Tanks, but the thing is, The Economy in Tanks is MUCH MUCH MUCH more lenient than WoWs. You earn more in here, but combine with the fact that ships over Tier 7 is so expensive and nearly Impossible to earn money without paying (Which only happens in Tier 10 in WoT), you can imagine how well a "New Player" (That was not familiar to WG's games) will feel.

The review was pretty fair, I'd say. WG are no doubt getting increasingly greedy since 2014, and even the Pro-WG people (You know, QB or so) are not very happy about the trend.

You just look at the recent Bundles of the PZIIJ, Or in NA/EU the 59-Patton Bundle - it's just a Rip-off.

Warship is better with all the work from the Asia Staff and I have to say I appreciate the work especially on the Tirpitz one, but not sastifying still.

The economy is harsh to say the least, and the game is so slow paced that I can't play over a hour and not get bored/frustrated.

Anyway, we shall see what happens to WG. Time will tell.

Edited by Alvin1020

103 posts
3,940 battles

Sure, how you spend your money isn't up for debate, it's your own dosh. And yeah, freeloaders ... I won't comment because that might get me a warning.

I do think one minor thing is the ship bundles could be cheaper. The only other thing I will say is I hope WG doesn't become pure money-grabber and lock a majority of stuff behind "you gotta pay gold for this".

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,513 battles

Sure, how you spend your money isn't up for debate, it's your own dosh. And yeah, freeloaders ... I won't comment because that might get me a warning.

I do think one minor thing is the ship bundles could be cheaper. The only other thing I will say is I hope WG doesn't become pure money-grabber and lock a majority of stuff behind "you gotta pay gold for this".

Prices in AUD

Yeah they definitely need to reduce the cost of stuff... I've always wondered why companies go for the bigger $$, when most of us can afford $5 here and there, make those purchases actually worth it.

IMO Standard gold ships should be in the $15-20 range,

10 garage slots should cost no more than $10,

A month of premium should be less than $10, with 6-monthly being $40, 12-month being $60

You do this price drop, you'll have more people playing, more often (don't want to waste premium time), stick with the game longer (sustainable player-base), more people spending money, more people using their other money on premium ships, etc etc.

People with a lot of money will always spend, they need to cater more for the folks like myself who have a little spare money each month. I'm happy to pay ~$10-15/month on crunchyroll. I'm not happy spending more than $10/month on a game. The games that I can get away with a small amount ~$10 for 2 months play, I do it without even thinking.

When they start catering for the people in the middle-class brackets, they'll find that they're revenue and player base go up, which in turn drags more people in which raises the games profile and raises sustainable revenue 

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

World of Warship is more grind-heavy AND the economy is slightly harsher than World of Tanks.

Yes agree ... but atleast most player don't camp and doing nothing for 10 min long .... at least we have some fight along the way ( except for when your team on another side all die and you have to sail back to another end of the map ) and some Tank got same module as other not like WoWs and WoWs almost really need you to install every part to max out performance while some tank you can just ignore some part to save credits, so it feel like WoWs really more grind-heavy

Edited by WindCruiser

Super Tester
527 posts
3,161 battles

lel~

ipJGRV6.png

lel~ World of Warplanes

You need to read that better. The punctuation is important.

World of Warships, the newest entry in the series after 2013’s World of Warplanes, is finally out of drydock and officially launched. 

Its not a typo, its a reference back to the review they did of WoWP.

Hmm. They rated WoWP as 74, and WoWS as 80. That gap should be much greater.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Is WoWp still alive ? never play it since ..... few week after game launch and it feel terrible...

I like planes .. even more than ship or tank ... but this game let me down big time 

I hope they do it better in the future ..

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

All I've learned from throwing thousands at WoT is: tanking is tanking. You get the same joy at any tier.

Play tier 5 ship, same ups and downs as a tier 10 ship.

The only benefit to a tier 10 ship or tank is, there aren't any tier 11 or 12s for mm to hold over you.

BUT, RPS is still RPS. So once the freeloaders hit tier 9, the tier 9s become a serious threat to tier 10's.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Is WoWp still alive ? never play it since ..... few week after game launch and it feel terrible...

I like planes .. even more than ship or tank ... but this game let me down big time 

I hope they do it better in the future ..

I loved the mechanics in WoWP, it's much better than the other game. Pity they stopped developing it nearly a year ago, and plan to remove it within 2 years, no refunds, it's in the EULA.