Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Tillman 'maximum battleship' designs

7 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Thanks to Marisp for sparking my interest at a long forgotten ship. Will derp the L20A if I can.

Dear US, especially Senator Benjamin Tillman during WWI and interim,

what in flying F are these "maximum battleships"?

fz924y.jpg

First off, I apologize for having so small pics and info since the most juicy bits I found was at a PV of the book about ships and their data. If anyone can find the crunch for Tillmans I, II and III, I would be grateful. And here I thought HMS Incomparable was ridiculous.

dmxylj.jpg

The 'maximum battleship' designs were in the proponent and hopefully in the favor of an incumbent guy at DC, one senator Benjamin Tillman, who was also part of the Navy Committee, because he was tired of the navy kowtowing "gib us bigger bottlesheeps plis", and with the notion that they design the biggest ships they can chuck up but with the limits of the canal locks their only constraints. And so they crammed four designs... well, practically four since design IV had two splits which I personally find really strange and funny, but those things helped generate the plan for the 1921 South Dakota battleship and now this ain't the South Dakota fast battleship that was touted as "bestest treaty battleship EVAR".

16hnhc3.jpg

It may be a model but its still something to go by.

The battleships were intended to be the 'maximum battleship' and maximum battleships they are. All six designs, including the two Design IV iterations, were to have a length of about 975 feet, beam of 108 feet, and a draft of about 11 meters or so but the displacements kinda varied... so hard but one thing was certain that 80k long tonnes was the heaviest these things would displace. Design I to III had 16 inch guns each and Design IV, IV-1 and IV-2 chugged 18 inch guns but the gun formation was... for a better word... strange. I wish I had anything to say much but Design I, which interestingly enough had eyeballs on it that led to the planned 1920's SoDak, had twelve 16 inch guns in four triple mounts, Design II had twenty-four 16 inch guns, Design III had again twelve 16 inch guns and Design IV had twenty-four 16 inch guns. DAFUQ. The only deviations are the Design IV iterations that had thirteen on IV-1 and fifteen on IV-2 with both having 18 inch guns. Practical? Nah. Looks cool? Oh yeah.

s4ndj8.jpg

Seriously, I don't even.

These ships are SICK. Wicked sick. I'm quite happy that these things were impractical and res burning wise because if the grace of all that is strange happened and that the naval limit wasn't in play afterwards although 1920 SoDak was cancelled because of that thought, we might see fast battleships quite early on instead of the late 30's or 40's. Hood don't count on that notion since she is a battlecruiser but her rating puts her in league with a 30's fast battleship.

97pvl1.jpg

These ships were expected to run fast... well in a ship sense, 30+ knots is already fast. Nos. 1 and 2 were to reach about 27 knots, 3 was to reach 31 knots and 4 with the two iterations about 27 knots as well. Quite ambitious for paper tho. But what can they do, in order to win the senator's shtick and hopefully the commission with it, they decided the large ass ships would suit their needs even if they didnt... really like what they designed so much.

ngsh2d.jpg

Here's Number IV's second iteration.

Now that's all and done for, this video perfectly describes my thought while reading the data regarding these freaky things:

Edited because I now must learn how to control my words.

That is all.

Edited by EvyL

4 posts
3,063 battles

from what i read about the "Maximium Battleships", and this was a while back so i might have remembered it wrongly, was that Senator Tilman was getting pissed with the Navy begging for more and more money to build bigger and bigger BB's and then ignoring congress when they said "this is the max you can have" so he says to the navy Oi design me a BB the maximium size you want and then thats it so the navy comes back with these monsters where the only constraint was the size of the panama canal so they are about the size of a modern container ship

64 posts
6,461 battles

So, considering the proliferation of paper designs in WOT, how long till these show up in the game? I guess maybe 5 years (2022). French bb's next year, Italian the year after, Russian after that, then maybe South American or Pan European (or both).

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Even so, there are Tillmans that you can go "WTF" for and there are some which you could say is rather viable.

I can say April Fools when a Tillman is sailing and causing rage and angst but never as an actual ship you can use

1 post
42 battles
On 30/09/2015 at 10:50 PM, EvyL said:

Dear US, especially Senator Benjamin Tillman during WWI and interim,

Interseting- thank you. Never hears about this monster!:fish_viking:

Sign in to follow this