You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Coburn

Graphics Lag? Game Issues? Read here for fixes

11 comments in this topic

103 posts
3,940 battles

Hello admirals, commanders and comrades.

This thread gives you a piece of my brain when it comes to troubleshooting game issues. World of Warships is far more optimized than it's sister, World of Tanks. I cannot say anything about World of Airplanes because I don't play that game. Anyway, here's some of the common issues you may get and the answer that I've given to some in the WOWS Questions and Problems channel.

Crashes and Other Weirdness

When playing WOWS, you may experience the client crashing, or other weird glitches may occur. A glitch is something that the developer either overlooked, or the game executes its script commands in a way that causes unwanted behaviour to happen. Glitches may not happen for everyone, but may happen on certain hardware configurations for example. 

When reporting a glitch, give as much detail as you can and any screenshots that you can show of the glitch. If the glitch happened during your stream or game recording, give us a snippet of that footage too.

Are you playing with a mod pack? If so, uninstall the mods. If the mods have deeply modified your client, then please consider uninstalling WOWS, deleting any left overs, and reinstalling from the web. It may be an extra 5GB download, but 90% of crashes are caused by corrupted or iffy game data files.

Are you lagging? Sometimes people think the game glitched but you actually were behind the server version of your ship. The game client does all the graphics and other things, while the server is responsible for updating your ship on the map (with your controls, of course).

Is your computer running OK? Run an anti-virus and anti-malware check ASAP if you get erratic behaviour. If your computer is infested with viruses, consider backing up your data to an external device, and nuke it. It'll also run 10 times faster on a vanilla version of Windows without all the OEM crap. 

Also, even if your computer says it's clean by Norton or McAfee, run MalwareBytes and SpyBot search and destroy. Norton and other brands are known to miss certain viruses in my experience.

Low FPS (Frames Per Second)

Firstly, if you're using a old version of your nVidia, AMD or Intel GPU drivers. Ditch them and grab the latest from the nVidia, AMD and Intel website. In my experience, always use the stock ones from nVidia/AMD/Intel. Do not use custom drivers or ones provided by the company that made the card (ie. Sapphire or eVGA for example). Always use the OEM ones from the chip manufacturer, nVidia /AMD/Intel. That rules out any issue of you using a old version of the driver causing issues with your GPU!

GPU Chip Manufacturer Links:
nVidia / Intel / AMD

When installing, avoid the nVidia GeForce Experience or AMD Gaming Evolved app. It's junk you don't need.

If you don't know how, select "Advanced Install" and then untick "GeForce Experience" / "AMD Gaming Evolved App".

If you want to do a fresh (recommended) install, click the box that says "Perform a clean installation" (nVidia Installer) or "Clean install (or something like that)" (AMD Installer).

NOTE: Recently, some WOWS bugs were fixed in a revision of the AMD drivers. If you experience graphics issues, you should consider upgrading your drivers.

Secondly, attempt using the Low / Medium configuration of graphics settings. Allow the game to restart. This will set everything to sane defaults for that preset, you may find that the game is stressing your GPU to do eyecandy and your GPU can't do it in time before WOWS wants it displayed on screen.

Also try exiting everything on your PC (including that stuff in the system tray) but not your security software and relaunch WOWS. Laptops and off-shelf computers come with a lot of crapware nowadays that should be uninstalled from day one.

Using a laptop? If you get poor performance on laptop, go into your GPU driver settings and set it to prefer consistent or high performance.

Yes, using the GPU in this mode WILL SUCK your battery dry within a hour or two. Also make sure you're plugged into AC because some laptops have PMUs that aggressively conserve as much power as they can.

Using a laptop with SLI? The game seems to have some issues due to it not being ready for SLI on Laptops. Consider turning off SLI for the game. Not only that but power consumption and heat will decrease.

Have the low FPS just started in a middle of a battle? Try one of the following: 

• Exit the game and relaunch it. This trick fixed a user I helped out last night on Windows 10 Home. Given the amount of aftermath that sad OS has, I'm not really surprised. A reboot may also help you in case of memory leaks.
  • Purposely die and return to dock. Yes, that sounds stupid, but enter battle on another ship and see if the problem persists.
    I believe there's an issue with some of the server-side code that, upon catching on fire, causes the server-side entity of your ship to bug out for a while. I was in a battle and suddenly got hit with a barrage of shells, and as soon as half of them had hit me the 10 FPS lag ensued. I'm not 100% sure if it's server, but maybe the rackmounts that run the Wargaming server netcode were overstressed and swapping to page file or doing other intensive tasks (if Wargaming uses Windows Server, it was likely Windows being Windows).

Still having low FPS? If you're on a laptop with dual graphics, make sure WOWS is running on the dedicated GPU, not the integrated GPU. If you're on a desktop with just integrated graphics... Why? Get a dedicated GPU ASAP!

Ship graphics turning in to a big pile of crunchy metal? (aka Polygon Crunching) Your GPU may be overheating or your drivers are at fault. Check your GPU's temperatures and let her rest if she's running hot (also check to see if her heatsink is blocked or the thermal paste needs replacement - outside the scope of this thread). Also see upgrading drivers dot point above.

Sub-question to the above question: Do you have artifacts or red/green/blue corruption? That's a bad sign of your GPU dying or overheating. I've had a GPU which went Yandere - she outputted pretty graphics one day, the next she was dead. Luckily she was under warranty so I sent her back to the returns department and got a new one. :D

Audio Distortion (especially Laptops)

Turn off any "audio enhancements" you may have. Beats Audio is a joke and a gimmick combined in a big price tag. Also consider turning off anything that like "Output Boost" or "Bass / Treble Boost".
Additionally, turn your volume down to at least 75%. Some audio cards have buggy drivers that cause distorted audio at high volumes. (I have a Xonar DG which uses a driver that is notorious of causing distortion at anything higher above 75% volume). Also consider turning down the volume in the game settings and ensure Sound Quality is set to High.

Check with your manufacturer to see if updated audio drivers exist for your laptop. Otherwise, you can install a generic driver if all else fails (most common ones are Realtek).

Poor Gameplay / Lag / etc

Try another internet connection. Your ISP may be fooling with you. As bad as it sounds, gaming over 3G or 4G with a good provider (hell, Telstra 3G has good ping times!) can work.

Something could be affecting uplinks from your country. Australia had a battleship cut one of the cables that connects it to Jakarta. I bet it was my Myogi on her way back to port.

Git good scrub. You're the one playing it!

I have a problem that isn't listed here, help me Coburn

I'm not employed by Wargaming. I run my own business doing IT support and I sort out computer issues daily. I can try to assist you, but it's best you talk to Wargaming Support Team, just in case they want more information. Please do not PM me directly for support. I will attempt to help if I am in-game in the Question and Problems channel, but most of the time it's filled with Yuudachi's Poi spam that makes me want fire a few shells into that DD.

This post will be updated if I have extra things to talk about.

Edited by Coburn

[POI]
Super Tester
350 posts
3,601 battles

+1 nice thread for easy fixes to the game that improve the user's experience. 

edit: *for

Edited by Juan_23

Beta Tester
125 posts
6,162 battles

I have 780m in sli, the game ran like a pig.

Disabled sli, ran physx on the second card, and now I get solid 60fps (vsync locked) with everything on very high/max/far.

Shame, but hey, it works.

[POI]
Super Tester
350 posts
3,601 battles

Yea for some reason my Sli works with this game now after the game had a update I think it was the 0.4 or sooner one. Before I used to have really bad artifacts on-screen when running Sli but now there not showing up anymore.

I'm running 770m in sli with the 2nd card also running physx.. I get solid 60fps with the locked vsync on and Max setting everything 

This is what it looked like before (images were from CBT as seen with CBT Asia in the top-left and my lovely Kitakami in the bottom-right), it was all ships not just the Ryuujou, it's seem it was fixed now. Sli runs great for me now

GZNKLCf.jpg

xo2tKUc.jpg

Edited by Juan_23

103 posts
3,940 battles

One thing I forgot to add to the first post is that if you get poor performance on laptop, go into your driver settings and set it to prefer consistent or high performance. Also make sure you're plugged into AC because some laptops have PMUs that aggressively conserve as much power as they can.

Also, that looks like horrible polygon crunching, really erks me when that happens.

103 posts
3,940 battles

Updated the first post with some more dot points thanks to your feedback.

Worth the re-read even if you've already read it.

[RANZN]
32 posts
2,128 battles

Just read EU forum some of them have the same problem. They went from very good to bad. Some point to the 5.0 upgrade as the cause as they where fine before but not after.

It was the same for me and my friend who has a different ISP and lives 300km away.

If it was a cut cable don't hold your breath for a quick fix I think there are only 2 ships in the world that fix such things.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

If it was a cut cable don't hold your breath for a quick fix I think there are only 2 ships in the world that fix such things.

and if you were following the topics, you would know that the repair ship is on station doing the......repair!!

103 posts
3,940 battles

and if you were following the topics, you would know that the repair ship is on station doing the......repair!!

Gasp! Who's paying for it though? Aussie People?