Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shatter12

GERMAN CROOSER HYPE!

25 comments in this topic

195 posts
356 battles

This is the official German Cruiser Hype thread because... well, there's more threads about the killer (literally - Almost no point of grind USN DDs) Soviet DDs then German Cruisers. All hype, facts/info, speculation and of course argiung goes below!

Yes, I am well aware of the Soviet DDs and German CA/CL thread, but that's dedicated to both of them. This is mostly dedicated to German CAs, not Soviet DDs (unless it gets derailed... lol). And let's face it, we don't need anymore Soviet DDs thread, and we need moar German CA threads.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

There IS the anschluss thread for it along with Russian bia- I mean steel

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

yes the Russian DD thread tells u a lot about the DDs but nothing about the German cruisers at all.

it would be nice to get pics of the German cruisers like they have done with the Russian DDs

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

yes the Russian DD thread tells u a lot about the DDs but nothing about the German cruisers at all.

it would be nice to get pics of the German cruisers like they have done with the Russian DDs

Pictures you ask? Here's one

X9AQ4Jc.jpg

Super Tester
509 posts

Seems all the ships are in the current live version of the game. A guy just uploaded a video to youtube and reddit with them all in his port using the WOWS Extended Tech Tree mod.

Looks like he made a video for all the Soviet DDs also.

Ah that explains it looks like EU and NA already got 5.0.0.1 we have to wait till tomorrow.

733Mb update what's funny is we got the patch notes they didn't, they just got the patch =P

Edited by Vyviel

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,633 battles

Care to elaborate?

Have a look at the weapons layout and DP main guns

They are all from around 1940, then the tier 2's go back to around 1905

Edited by BigWaveSurfer

195 posts
356 battles

You can tell that they are modern because of their AA: No other low tiers have good AA. Also if you hover over any ship in the game, it tells you when it was made/designed and a little bit about it. The tier ones (most if them) are made in the 1930s, not tjr beginning of the 20th century.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,633 battles

You're referring to German ships or other nations?

The Germans NEVER had the opportunity to develop DP guns.

The 128mm Flak40 was an AA gun developed into an anti tank and related to the naval gun

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

The 128mm Flak40 was an AA gun developed into an anti tank and related to the naval gun

I don't consider that as  DP gun.

In all intent and purposes, DP guns by definition are naval artillery that are designed to engage BOTH aerial and surface targets from "1 platform" i.e. 1 gun unit.

That 105mm on the ships were by virtue only capable of engaging air units since it can't even depress low enough to engage surface targets. True on land they can depress low enough to engage tanks but the naval platform, cant depress low to engage targets..

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,633 battles

I don't consider that as  DP gun.

In all intent and purposes, DP guns by definition are naval artillery that are designed to engage BOTH aerial and surface targets from "1 platform" i.e. 1 gun unit.

That 105mm on the ships were by virtue only capable of engaging air units since it can't even depress low enough to engage surface targets. True on land they can depress low enough to engage tanks but the naval platform, cant depress low to engage targets..

Guess I had better not mention to you about the 16in (406mm) guns on the Nelson class that had AA ammo option.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,633 battles

From what I've seen thus far, the term DP guns don't extend to their primaries. That's what I get from reading books.

I have a library of books on WWII weapons, none have this ship, what book are you getting this from?

Keep in mind when using books (as I myself do) they can be dated with the info they have. My period written "Jane's Fighting ships" is a good example of why the net can help bridge the gap.

As for the ship in question I was looking at this page

Edited by BigWaveSurfer

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,633 battles

Jane's are reliable for the time. but as they are written at the time there is always going to be mistakes, funniest one would be Grumman quoting their F6F Hellcat as having a top speed of over 400mph. that thing was lucky to do that in a dive. Guess Grumman wanted to boost sales of the Hellcat. :sceptic:

Sign in to follow this