You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WindCruiser

Question about 3 letter of german ship

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

US = USS, Japan = IJN, UK= HMS
.... So what is the 3 letter of german ship 

I find many name for german ship so i confused ... some are KMS but find some that are DKM and some are SMS ..... 
how it defferent ? ... it divide for ship class or german have multiple navy HQ and seperate by that ???

Edited by WindCruiser

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

It really depends on what you want.

SMS is probably the only choice you have. The Kriegsmarine didn't use prefixes for their ships (so the Bismarck was just called Die Bismarck and so on).

Edited by Haku

Super Tester
2,725 posts

US = USS, Japan = IJN, UK= HMS

.... So what is the 3 letter of german ship 

I find many name for german ship so i confused ... some are KMS but find some that are DKM and some are SMS .....

I think formally for Japan use HIJMS/His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Ship.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Google is your friend.

So is Wiki.

Who'd have thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix

Tee

yes, but that not explain to me why they have so many name ...

It really depends on what you want.

SMS is probably the only choice you have. The Kriegsmarine didn't use prefixes for their ships (so the Bismarck was just called Die Bismarck and so on).

ahhh i see .... we ususally call her Bismarck but didn't she use KMS ? cause i see some (in google) use KMS Bismarck .. or it just name ppls use, not official ?

DKM for the Third Reich's Navy which stands for Deutsches Kriegsmarine, SMS is for the ships of the Kaiser's navy. 

hm.... so it different by who rules the country ?

Google lies, alta vista told me so ;)

then care to share info ? pls :rolleyes:
Edited by WindCruiser

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Wrote about it over here

The USN uses U.S.S., for United States Ship. RN uses H.M.S., for His/Her Majesty's ship, as well as H.M.A.S. or H.M.N.Z.S. for Australian and New Zealand ships respectively. The Imperial German Navy (I.E. the Kaiserliche Marine, the German navy up until the end of WWI) used S.M.S., for Seiner Majestät Schiff (His Majesty's Ship).

The Kriegsmarine (German navy under the Nazi regime) did not use ship prefixes, but historians tend to tack on KMS for consistency purposes (standing for Kriegsmarine Ship). Likewise, the IJN did not use naming prefixes either, but historians tack on HIJMS (His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Ship).

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

then care to share info ? pls :rolleyes:

its an old joke WindCruiser, Altavista used to be in competition with Google (actually around before Google), bit like Microsoft and Apple. You used to get two different results from both, then you had to decide which was more relevant to what you were after.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Wrote about it over here

The USN uses U.S.S., for United States Ship. RN uses H.M.S., for His/Her Majesty's ship, as well as H.M.A.S. or H.M.N.Z.S. for Australian and New Zealand ships respectively. The Imperial German Navy (I.E. the Kaiserliche Marine, the German navy up until the end of WWI) used S.M.S., for Seiner Majestät Schiff (His Majesty's Ship).

The Kriegsmarine (German navy under the Nazi regime) did not use ship prefixes, but historians tend to tack on KMS for consistency purposes (standing for Kriegsmarine Ship). Likewise, the IJN did not use naming prefixes either, but historians tack on HIJMS (His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Ship).

In that topic I understand about USS and IJN now but you not mention about German .. but thanks for additional info anyway :honoring:

its an old joke WindCruiser, Altavista used to be in competition with Google (actually around before Google), bit like Microsoft and Apple. You used to get two different results from both, then you had to decide which was more relevant to what you were after.

oh! ha.... never know about altavista .... so it like 6/2(2+1) between Sharp and Casio calculator huh? same input, diferent result LOL

uh? KMS? Kriegsmarine Sciffe?

Kriegsmarine Ship .. like syanda say

Edited by WindCruiser