Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ZenTex

Idea for an interesting fail ship

16 comments in this topic

11 posts
2,230 battles

Lets create the ultimate fail ship! I have some ideas.

First of all it shoud be japanese, they lost the war, right?

It'd be a "heavy cruiser", in name only because we'd give it no armour whatsoever but giant citadels that you can't possibly miss. I'd give it big guns which only do a bit more damage that the 150mm but at least double their reload! To further anny people, we'd give it a ridiculous gun arrangement so that in order to fire an entire salvo, you have to present your broadside to the enemy. Oh, and of course the turrets would rotate really slow to maximize the time that broadside is open to the enemy.

Another great idea would be to give it a huge citadel that you cannot possibly miss (or did I mention that already?) and that anything but a destroyer can penetrate reliably.

Obviously you wouldn't want to come closer than neccessary to the enemy, so we'd give it mediocre range so as to give anyone the opportunity to hit your juicy citadels and of course make the ship pretty long to improve the chance of it eating torpedo's while not improvinng maneuverability.

To make it "balanced" (but really to add insult to injury) give it some torps, which is a great idea for a ship that desperately wants to stay at maximum gun range all the time! And maybe average speed so you'll never get out of range of any other ship thaat's in gun range already so you can run away for ages while screaming like a girl and not quite getting out of range while only being able to train 2 barrels at any pursuer.

Oh, and lastly, I'd give it giant citadels!

What do you guys think? Any more suggestions maybe?

Edited by ZenTex

11 posts
2,230 battles

But this is about cruisers, the Furutaka. Have you played it?

Sure US DD's arent  as good as IJN ones, but the furutaka is damn near useless, there's not a game where i don't get citadel'd twice.

Went vs my Cleave vs an Aoba yesterday, the engagement lasted seconds. my 1st salvo got me 3 citadel hits, the 2nd 2.Het barely got a second salvo off.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I've played it pre-buff, Furutaka is awesome.

And I still have it too.

Think of Furutaka as your first seat in the Japanese heavy cruiser, not comfortable but at least you can sit. 

11 posts
2,230 battles

And I still have it too.

Think of Furutaka as your first seat in the Japanese heavy cruiser, not comfortable but at least you can sit. 

A seat paddded with steel spikes that collapses when you try to sit on it. :p

I'll pass.

Why go for japanese cruisers when the US ones are so much better?

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

The Furutaka only seems bad since you aren't used to the playstyle of 203mm armed CAs yet. The skills you would learn in the Furutaka will help you as you go up the line.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

But this is about cruisers, the Furutaka. Have you played it?

Sure US DD's arent  as good as IJN ones, but the furutaka is damn near useless, there's not a game where i don't get citadel'd twice.

Went vs my Cleave vs an Aoba yesterday, the engagement lasted seconds. my 1st salvo got me 3 citadel hits, the 2nd 2.Het barely got a second salvo off.

I'm still having her in my dock, and she's good (Although Omaha is better).

Do take note: Don't count on your armor working against BB guns. For Cruiser AP shells you need to angle your armor for it to work, but HE spam will still wear you down just like any other ship anyway. 

The Furutaka is not a newbie-friendly ship, although doing well in that ship will let you do good in later tiers CA.  Your 203mm guns have really good AP penetrations, if you know how to use it you'll wreck other Cruisers.

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

I don't know why people obsess over broadsides so much, just keep your front pointed at the enemy and farm citadels as they turn to try and shoot all of their guns, the Furutaka isn't really bad at all, just load AP, don't show your sides (and if you do you better expect to suffer), and try to anticipate where they will be so you can aim your guns beforehand.

If you show me your broadside, I am going to wreck you in a few volleys.

Same is pretty much true for all low tier cruisers.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I'll pass.

This sounds like another whine post - nevertheless you probably aren't used to the play style of heavy cruisers, of which the Furutaka is a great example for the Japanese navy. She was a decent even cruiser killer before her buff (with faster turret rotation and better torps), just aim at the juicy mid sections of the Omahas, Phoenixes, and Kumas.

The USN cruisers have their drawbacks too, the Cleveland, while having excellent AA, RoF and range, has poor shell velocity and high shell arc - it takes a lot of practice to aim those shots at long ranges, and it doesn't have torpedoes which are a great way to deal with surprise battleships or distract destroyers that get too close when you're in an awkward position.

Edited by Blitzkreig95

195 posts
356 battles

This sounds like another whine post - nevertheless you probably aren't used to the play style of heavy cruisers, of which the Furutaka is a great example for the Japanese navy. She was a decent even cruiser killer before her buff (with faster turret rotation and better torps), just aim at the juicy mid sections of the Omahas, Phoenixes, and Kumas.

The USN cruisers have their drawbacks too, the Cleveland, while having excellent AA, RoF and range, has poor shell velocity and high shell arc - it takes a lot of practice to aim those shots at long ranges, and it doesn't have torpedoes which are a great way to deal with surprise battleships or distract destroyers that get too close when you're in an awkward position.

Me in my Cleveland after playing through the Phoenix and the Omaha:

Me: Fire the torpedoes! 

Gunnery officer: What torpedoes? We ain't an IJN Cruiser or the Omaha and Phoenix.

Me: Install some! Otherwise I'll fire you from the cannon!

Gunnery Officer: Oh rly?

Me 10 minutes later:

I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS!!! *Gets blown out from one of the 152mm :P.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

the new furutaka is already a formidable ship. 203mm on tier v, 10km torpedo with wide agle compare to the previous 6km before. she's even more armored than omaha and can take cruiser beating as long as you angle her armor properly

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I'll pass.

I don't think there is 'better' in most cases for cruisers though. Omaha and Furutaka behave very differently. I think some players turn her into a destroyer bully due to her fast guns and utilizing her 'recon cruiser' to its limits may be delishus for some whereas Furutaka bullies all cruisers and to an extent destroyers due to her guns but how you do that, well that depends on the one on the helm. One interesting thing you can edge out with the IJN cruiser is that she can perform torpedo runs to a degree, not "ERMAGHERD NINJAKAZE SMOKE KEMPF TORPEDUS" level but still enough to present your auxiliary weapons as a variable threat as one run which connects three of the four launched can likely decimate other cruisers, including the Omaha.

Furutaka for that matter, as I have said again, is your first seat in the Japanese heavy cruiser line. it may be uncomfortable for some and some find it perfect to sit on but that depends entirely on you.

Sign in to follow this