Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

USN DD tactics WW2

3 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

This is an interesting wiki article I ran into today, which highlighted the first successful coordinated torpedo attack by US navy destroyers - the US destroyers used ambush tactics at night, sneaking close to islands and using their superior radar to home in on the Japanese Tokyo Express. 

They key element to their success, aside from having torpedoes that worked, was that they opened fire with their guns, after launching torpedoes in the water and giving them time to home in. It seems US destroyer captains were initially trigger happy and always fired early before getting the chance to use their torpedoes earlier in the war.

The result was 3 enemy destroyers sunk, with no losses to the USN, and the 4th escaped, why? Because RNG, a dud torpedo failed to explode and the last destroyer got away that night lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vella_Gulf

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Super Tester
1,677 posts

This is an interesting wiki article I ran into today, which highlighted the first successful coordinated torpedo attack by US navy destroyers - the US destroyers used ambush tactics at night, sneaking close to islands and using their superior radar to home in on the Japanese Tokyo Express. 

They key element to their success, aside from having torpedoes that worked, was that they opened fire with their guns, after launching torpedoes in the water and giving them time to home in. It seems US destroyer captains were initially trigger happy and always fired early before getting the chance to use their torpedoes earlier in the war.

The result was 3 enemy destroyers sunk, with no losses to the USN, and the 4th escaped, why? Because RNG, a dud torpedo failed to explode and the last destroyer got away that night lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vella_Gulf

That and I remember the Mark 14 or was it the 15 having terribad exploders.

Sign in to follow this