You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Solar_Tiger

Gun Ranges

28 comments in this topic

6 posts
6,713 battles

Any advice appreciated.

Great game, love playing, but so frustrated when my BB main armament range is about 12nm, and I have enemy DD's and CA's firing at, and striking, me before they come into my range??

I have all the ships improvements bought yet enemy ships appear to have far better range........

Cheers

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

That doesn't mean that imperial units are sensible.

Who on earth knows what a slug (unit, not the creature) physically means?

In this case (if only in this case), the French win.

Anyways, OP, the only way I can advise you is to just go to where the action is the nearest so you can start contributing to your team earlier. If it's destroyer-infested waters, load HE and aim carefully.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Nautical miles (feet and yards) are used by Merchant and Defence Navies all over the world due to the fact they fit into Longitude and Latitude, you know, that grid thing they print on maps and globes.

The distance between Latitudinal lines do not change, there are 60nm to every 1 degree of Latitude, Longitude changes as you go north/south due to the decreasing distance between the lines.

2000 yards to a Nautical Mile

608ft = 202.6 yards = 1 cable = 1/10 nm = 101 fathoms

350 posts

Anyways, OP, the only way I can advise you is to just go to where the action is the nearest so you can start contributing to your team earlier. If it's destroyer-infested waters, load HE and aim carefully.

Problem being that in a slow BB, when your faster ships turn tail and run (which they probably will), you end up a big slow target with no support and your 15km gun range (New Mexico) is laughable.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Problem being that in a slow BB, when your faster ships turn tail and run (which they probably will), you end up a big slow target with no support and your 15km gun range (New Mexico) is laughable.

Better learn to hit those targets then. :P

Super Tester
802 posts

I know, they don't make sense. Just like the US still using imperial based units despite over 200 years of separation from the empire.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

I know, they don't make sense. Just like the US still using imperial based units despite over 200 years of separation from the empire.

To be fair, they are actively working to promote the popularity of the metric units by using them in schools, colleges and universities.

6 posts
6,713 battles

Thanks.

It helped getting some improvements done.......I stilll need to work on my targetting tho.

6 posts
6,713 battles

Very true.....!! :-)

[151ST]
1,016 posts
4,526 battles

Any advice appreciated.

Great game, love playing, but so frustrated when my BB main armament range is about 12nm, and I have enemy DD's and CA's firing at, and striking, me before they come into my range??

I have all the ships improvements bought yet enemy ships appear to have far better range........

Cheers

[note: I'm an IJN DD/CA player so this is to the best of my knowledge]

Based on your range, I'd say you're in a lower tier BB.

Your best bet is to avoid going toe-to-toe with larger range ships. This should be done in conjunction with staying with your team.

With BBs you have a spotting plane, which increases your range. Use it wisely.

With a 12km range you shouldn't have too much issue with ships up to tier 5, as I know IJN CL/As up to tier 5 get a max range of 12.7km.

Options:

- Play Co-op for this grind, as your next BB will no doubt have better range

- Only get in firing range to an enemy ship when you have your spotting plane up, so you essentially fire only when you have maximum possible range.

Your problems with range are a common thing when playing as bottom tier in any ship. If you play smart, you will learn to work around it and this will improve your play in the long run.

Another point a bit off topic, make sure you are using correct shell type. Without getting into the nitty-gritty for BBs the general rule is AP v everything, except DDs (always use HE v DDs otherwise you risk overpen = very little damage). When vsing CVs IMO BB stick with AP - unless you have already reloaded to HE. HE is good against CVs if you set them on fire (preventing their Aircraft from landing and re-arming)

Goodluck, hope this helps.

[i know I'm not a BB player but I figured someone should address OPs point guys] :B

[edit - some grammar, added shell comment]

[edit2 - we are already at 0.5.0 - thanks davud]

Edited by S4pp3R

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

[note: I'm an IJN DD/CA player so this is to the best of my knowledge]

Based on your range, I'd say you're in a lower tier BB, at this stage BBs can see a tier spread of 3. So a tier 4 BB can see a tier 7 match.

I'm guessing this is where you are having your problems, as Tier 6 IJN CA has 15km range and Tier 7 has 16km range.

Your best bet is to avoid going toe-to-toe with these sorts of higher tier ships and sit back and wait for lower-range enemy ships coming further forward. This should be done in conjunction with staying with your team.

With BBs you have a spotting plane, which increases your range. Use it wisely.

With a 12km range you shouldn't have too much issue with ships up to tier 5, as I know IJN CL/As up to tier 5 get a max range of 12.7km.

Options:

- Play Co-op for this grind, as your next BB will no doubt have better range

- Wait till 0.5.0 patch, MM tier spreads are getting reduced. Tier 3-4 BBs (and tier 4-5 CVs) will only see 1 tier higher matches. Rest of the ships will see a +2 tier spread maximum (so tier 5 BB won't see tier 8, it'll see tier 7 matches)

- Only get in firing range to an enemy ship when you have your spotting plane up, so you essentially fire only when you have maximum possible range.

Your problems with range are a common thing when playing as bottom tier in any ship. If you play smart, you will learn to work around it and this will improve your play in the long run.

Another point a bit off topic, make sure you are using correct shell type. Without getting into the nitty-gritty for BBs the general rule is AP v everything, except DDs (always use HE v DDs otherwise you risk overpen = very little damage)

Goodluck, hope this helps.

[i know I'm not a BB player but I figured someone should address OPs point guys] :B

[edit - some grammar, added shell comment]

Tier 4 BB in tier 7 match???? I thought the MM fixed no more tier 4 BB going to tier 6 match isn't it??Hmmmmmm.....:sceptic:

[151ST]
1,016 posts
4,526 battles

Tier 4 BB in tier 7 match???? I thought the MM fixed no more tier 4 BB going to tier 6 match isn't it??Hmmmmmm.....:sceptic:

Dayum, completely missed the fact that we are already at 0.5.0 - will amend post accordingly - thanks mate

423 posts
3,175 battles

as a mainly BB Play2Win, I got some advice for OP:

1. Always keep in mind that your Battleship is a truck, driving them is not different. Avoid going to cramped space, with islands and many choke-points. These are havens for ambushes, as well as collision traps; get to open water as much as possible, or if situation not allowed, to some area where you can maneuver.

2. Battleship guns - as for my USN BB experience - got a flatter trajectory than CA/L ones, therefore, shell travel time is slightly shorter. There's a rule of thumb about leading as in my opinion, should grant you some better gameplay:

-Every shot you fired would land 1-2 mils away from your point of aim, RNGesus blessing. So it isn't sniper rifle indoor shooting range, you cannot expect the shots to land exactly where you're aiming. But they never exceed that 1-2 mil.

-Start zeroing in a target by firing one volley. Adjust accordingly by "walking" your next shot closer to the lead. The rule of thumb is the more you shoot, the better your aiming. I can't tell everything to you about how much correction in mil, even they are possible and confirmed that you could land your shot purely by calculation. This is my secret...

-Knowing key position on ship: the citadel. You're a BB, very much rely on AP rounds so citadel shot is the key to inflict damage. In 80% of the ships, citadel is where the smoke stack is. Try to land your shots there, tadah, citadel hit with a massive chunk of target HP.

-Knowing the type of rounds needed for each situation. DD has NO citadel, so no point of using AP on them, unless you've just engage them and cannot affort to reload. CV has citadel, but due to the very odd layout, the best citadel hit could be achievable even by HE. Moreover, HE could set the flight deck on fire, giving your allies some precious moment to slow down the CV strike capability.

-It's OK for BB to lose HP, as long as not too much. Don't try to brawl in, but don't be a coward. Knowing when to intervene and when to bug out is a key to make a BB game changer.

3. Situational awareness! Always check your surrounding. Because the high damage PER-HIT as well as the capability of wiping out any ship in 1-3 salvos, you are a high value target. Therefore always keep an eye on the minimap, and the surrounding area. Never tunnel visioned on a target; some sneaky DD like d@vud could backstab you easily.

Here are some tips, you're always welcome!

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

as a mainly BB Play2Win, I got some advice for OP:

1. Always keep in mind that your Battleship is a truck, driving them is not different. Avoid going to cramped space, with islands and many choke-points. These are havens for ambushes, as well as collision traps; get to open water as much as possible, or if situation not allowed, to some area where you can maneuver.

2. Battleship guns - as for my USN BB experience - got a flatter trajectory than CA/L ones, therefore, shell travel time is slightly shorter. There's a rule of thumb about leading as in my opinion, should grant you some better gameplay:

-Every shot you fired would land 1-2 mils away from your point of aim, RNGesus blessing. So it isn't sniper rifle indoor shooting range, you cannot expect the shots to land exactly where you're aiming. But they never exceed that 1-2 mil.

-Start zeroing in a target by firing one volley. Adjust accordingly by "walking" your next shot closer to the lead. The rule of thumb is the more you shoot, the better your aiming. I can't tell everything to you about how much correction in mil, even they are possible and confirmed that you could land your shot purely by calculation. This is my secret...

-Knowing key position on ship: the citadel. You're a BB, very much rely on AP rounds so citadel shot is the key to inflict damage. In 80% of the ships, citadel is where the smoke stack is. Try to land your shots there, tadah, citadel hit with a massive chunk of target HP.

-Knowing the type of rounds needed for each situation. DD has NO citadel, so no point of using AP on them, unless you've just engage them and cannot affort to reload. CV has citadel, but due to the very odd layout, the best citadel hit could be achievable even by HE. Moreover, HE could set the flight deck on fire, giving your allies some precious moment to slow down the CV strike capability.

-It's OK for BB to lose HP, as long as not too much. Don't try to brawl in, but don't be a coward. Knowing when to intervene and when to bug out is a key to make a BB game changer.

3. Situational awareness! Always check your surrounding. Because the high damage PER-HIT as well as the capability of wiping out any ship in 1-3 salvos, you are a high value target. Therefore always keep an eye on the minimap, and the surrounding area. Never tunnel visioned on a target; some sneaky DD like d@vud could backstab you easily.

Here are some tips, you're always welcome!

Excuse me  some sneaky DD like d@vud could backstab you easily .  Hmmmmmmm what?????????????????????????????????