Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Fuso battleship

7 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I'm currently peeved at something but instead of raging so hard, I'll just put my anger to productive stuff like trollpoasting here huehuehue

Out of all the Japanese battleships that went in the water, one class particularly stood out among the rest and even if the Japanese of old (and probably now) will argue that Yamato is the very symbol of Japan's glorious navy which in itself is true, but I think that of all the battleships they had made, the Fuso class earned a lot of eyeballs, unwarranted or not, and its not really surprising when someone asks a 'typical' distinctive battleship of Japan the Fuso is one of the two to be quite notorious aside from the Yamato... but her notoriety came from her insanely tall pagoda mast which had everyone glue to it. And CG actually reviles this bottlesheep.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE FUSO BATTLESHIP.

2rw51ra.jpg

(note Fuso is the one behind Ise)

Well Fuso had one service run that you'd probably say that she's a secondary battleship as she had design faults but who wouldn't really be surprised at said design faults, she was Japan's first indigenous dread made (Kongo afaik had spent time at the UK and she was a battlecruiser then) and they expected her to follow their glorious Mikasa's example as she whacked the Russian Pacific Squadron during the brawl at Tsushima... but sadly, despite looking very sound in blueprint, the Japanese found her having a few quirks such as turret 3 likely rocking the ship or even damage some stuff nearby due to the shockwave or the boilers limiting mods or the magazine having wonky issues due to some being in close proximity to the boilers which needed a craploads more padding and insulation. Its not really something you'd see a capital ship named after your own country, much less several craploads of classical names such as Japan having several with Fuso being one of them, albeit very archaic (Wa took first place in uber archaic but if you want something to lulz at, then Yamato = informal name for Japan although the truth is Yamato = very old province of Japan).

25qylq0.jpg

Fuso had an impressive armament of six turrets packing dual mounted 14 inch guns which was, and probably is, the highest amount of turrets you can ever cram onto a dread, about sixteen 6 inch guns, a small AA suite of pop shooters and some torp tubes which were later removed. Why? Battleship dakka master race I mean its ridiculous, that's why. She was protected with about 12 inches of deck, 2 inches of armor, 13 inches of conning tower, 9 inches on the barbettes and 11 inches on the guns... protected, ain't she? But this also made her a bit heavier as her initial mobility is about 23 knots... well ain't that freakin' fast for a dread? Queen Liz laughs with that annoying laugh as she's a superdread with 24 knots. Even with that however, weird shit was happening hard on the ship and she didn't really get to serve. She was one of the respondents on the Great Kanto Quake and may probably have seen Amagi... 'die' aka her unfinished hull was messed up so hard during the survivor evac alongside the other battleships that acted as refuge ferries. Although newer battleships like Nagato or Ise were there, she was still a flippin capital ship and could still fight so why freakin' scrap her when you can retrofit her with hax to make her in line?

and that they did.

4q5c1.jpg

Fuso actually went with two retrofittings: one at the 30's and the other at the 40's. Mod 1 had her chucked with her insanely high pagoda mast that had EVERYTHING in there as it was deemed to be a viable choice... gee, the ship can't be upchucked with hax or even reconstructed hard... I KNOW! Let's put important shit into one main mast! This is the best plan ever! Bad call... really bad, in terms of engineering stuff. Doing that had the dread go top heavy and there was a chance if winds weren't in the mood to play nice, they would literally topple the mast and force the ship to keel over. Hell, from what I could mess around, she had a FIFTEEN floor mast (Yamato afaik had 13) that had important stuff such as main gunnery control, secondary control, navigation, the crunch data from the rangefinders and directors. This is literally putting a building on a freakin dread during the course of the modernization which probably earned Fuso's distinction for her pagoda mast although during Mod 2, it went down to 14 which is barely a relief seeker but at least its something! One less instrument to think of. Her boilers were upchucked as well with the removal of the other funnel so that only one was there and turret 3 faced to the bow. Belt during Mod 1 had an installation of torpedo bulges as well as some more guns for her AA suite and Mod 2 made em bigger as well as the deck getting thicker at 6 inch with the addition for moar AA guns. At this stage however, the modernized as hell superdread could now crank speeds of about 24.5 knots or so and that's as sound as you can go to a superdread of her level. She also had really strong searchlights for night runs although the searchlight and star shells combo gets overruled by radar GFCS.

a4ww41.jpg

Oops. This is the shipgirl version of the ship.

i2ug7m.jpg

THIS is what she finally looked like during 1944 and likely the very same configs she went down with at Surigao. If anyone feels the need to find her, by all means go ahead as she's somewhere out there at Surigao Strait sleeping but I think someone went down there but found Yamashio instead. GLORIOUS PAGODA MAST.

She first rolled patrolling off China's waters, served as a refugee ferry during the Kanto Quake and began her mod 1 and 2 during the interwar years. At WWII she was running to the other battleship units as follow-up forces during the strike at Pearl Harbor and tried to find the carrier from where the Doolittle raiders flew off from but failed. All her service run had her on reserve when things were to go sideways and there were plans to convert her into a carrier battleship but her relatives the Ises, who were at best intended to be souped up versions of her, turned carrier battleships. She did some supply runs but generally she wasn't in direct combat... even with her AA guns going guns-a-blazin didnt happen.

Then came the time that she actually WAS to sail against the enemy so Fuso was grouped with the Southern Force in the defense of the Philippines and was to head to Leyte to link up with Center Force under Shouji Nishimura aboard her little sister Yamashiro who was then the flagship. Well ain't that peachy... if not for a strong battleship force at south who wanted to blast the crap out of any Japanese capital ship since they were all bitching about payback after Pearl, some of those battleships were reconstructed after being surprise stabbed in their freakin' sleep... I mean who the hell does that? Oh.

During their run in the strait, they had to run a gauntlet of torpedoes due to PT boats spotting them and started their runs... and... they met the angry force that waited for them near the mouth of the strait with arms wide open, guns-a-blazin and torpedoes-a-swimmin. Fuso got hit and sank first but its kinda debatable on how she went under. First record was she capsized and about 40 minutes in the wee hours of the morning somewhere at 1-4AM and the other was her breaking in two and going under afterwards. Her little sister Yamashiro got hailed by EVERYTHING and went under shortly however... but that was one inglorious way to die.

In-game however, she is one solid battleship and her times of having little to no service runs is mitigated in the game. Her main battery broadside is unrivaled, her range is sound and her armor's solid enough to take a beating along with good maneuverability although there is her painful grind where her stock 1914 hull makes carriers eyegasm at the thought of virtually unopposed air strikes.

That is all.

Edited by EvyL

1,840 posts
8,086 battles

Her AA Guns kinda be worse, since it doesn't damage on Aircraft much......

Btw i like her Cannons though, she has 6, Her kai ni has Triple cannon Arnaments.

Secondaries are OP (if your'e too close to it)

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Her AA Guns kinda be worse, since it doesn't damage on Aircraft much......

Btw i like her Cannons though, she has 6, Her kai ni has Triple cannon Arnaments.

Secondaries are OP (if your'e too close to it)

Putting triple cannons on her won't do squat other than making her heavy some more, turret being redesigned to accommodate the third gun on each turret and the barbette likely being widened to fit the new turret which means the ship itself must be widened in her beam or so which Japan at the time had to miff with resources to eat up a lot when they can just simply build newer ships. 'sides, Fuso's transition to "aviation battleship" in KanColle is unhistorical as despite she was planned for it, the Ise got to that upgrade finally. and from what I can recall, mod 2 in said game was just to soup her up.

History however, says otherwise.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I think both ships in the first picture are the Ise class ships, as they both have super firing mid turrets which the Fusos did not, but otherwise, great read and nice article :)

Sign in to follow this