Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Strik3agle98

Armor penetrating value?

9 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Not yet. If we did we'd see coloured hitzone skins (clown skins with "HIT HERE!) for citadels.

As a general rule of thumb, if you're a battleship, use AP against anything but destroyers. If you're a cruiser with 203 mm guns, AP against other cruisers or battleships at short ranges. If you're a cruiser with 155 mm guns, AP against other cruisers at short range but even then focus on HE. Anything less than that...unless you're fighting a Japanese "destroyer leader" (Kuma, Tenryuu, ...) then you should use HE.

195 posts
356 battles

Nope. The range and the angles and the different armour schemes makes it extremely difficult to even list the the armour angles since you almost ALWAYS at an angle. Gun pen? Forget it. Too compilcated.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

There are reasons why WG doesn't show us armor penetration values for ship:

- Like Tank shells, Naval artillery shells loses penetration over distance. The loss is negligible in tanks, but we don't know how much does that apply to this game.

- In Tanks, your shells mostly fly straight to target (except howitzers, including arties and derp guns) so there aren't much in the way of impact angle change over distance, that's not the case for warships. It can clearly be seen that your shells land on enemy ships at various angle depending on how far do you fire and your max gun range. That alone is such a big variable that makes penetration calculation difficult for single human alone.

- Tanks mostly have just 1 layer of armor, ships have multiple layers and they vary from section to section with different thickness. Your shell (mostly AP) need to penetrate multiple layers to get to enemy's citadel to deal huge damage. Coupled with the fact that with impact angle variable, it's almost impossible to manually calculate your chance of penetrating enemy's citadel.

- Lastly, your shells are much less accurate in this game, you can't expect your shell to land at where you aimed unless it's point-blank range. Even if you somehow managed to calculate your chance of penetrating enemy armor, you still can't guarantee that happening, especially if you are shooting Battleship guns and/or shooting at violently maneuvering small targets.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,951 battles

Not yet. If we did we'd see coloured hitzone skins (clown skins with "HIT HERE!) for citadels.

As a general rule of thumb, if you're a battleship, use AP against anything but destroyers. If you're a cruiser with 203 mm guns, AP against other cruisers or battleships at short ranges. If you're a cruiser with 155 mm guns, AP against other cruisers at short range but even then focus on HE. Anything less than that...unless you're fighting a Japanese "destroyer leader" (Kuma, Tenryuu, ...) then you should use HE.

It's not great using AP from your bb vs a BB that's 2 tiers higher. If I see a Yamato in my Dirpitz, I load HE. And then I run as fast as I can.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

It's not great using AP from your bb vs a BB that's 2 tiers higher. If I see a Yamato in my Dirpitz, I load HE. And then I run as fast as I can.

But a Yamato is a Yamato. Against an Izumo, or Iowa, or anything less than that?

84 posts
4,438 battles

Ah naval battle, the most RNG based battle in the world

I've gotta agree with that :D

unless you are using RGM84  Harpoon. then it's another story :v

If you're a cruiser with 155 mm guns, AP against other cruisers at short range but even then focus on HE. Anything less than that...unless you're fighting a Japanese "destroyer leader" (Kuma, Tenryuu, ...) then you should use HE.

155mm. gun better use ap against destroyer leader. I've tried in my Omaha.

Thanks for the advice tho. ;)

There are reasons why WG doesn't show us armor penetration values for ship:

- Like Tank shells, Naval artillery shells loses penetration over distance. The loss is negligible in tanks, but we don't know how much does that apply to this game.

- In Tanks, your shells mostly fly straight to target (except howitzers, including arties and derp guns) so there aren't much in the way of impact angle change over distance, that's not the case for warships. It can clearly be seen that your shells land on enemy ships at various angle depending on how far do you fire and your max gun range. That alone is such a big variable that makes penetration calculation difficult for single human alone.

- Tanks mostly have just 1 layer of armor, ships have multiple layers and they vary from section to section with different thickness. Your shell (mostly AP) need to penetrate multiple layers to get to enemy's citadel to deal huge damage. Coupled with the fact that with impact angle variable, it's almost impossible to manually calculate your chance of penetrating enemy's citadel.

- Lastly, your shells are much less accurate in this game, you can't expect your shell to land at where you aimed unless it's point-blank range. Even if you somehow managed to calculate your chance of penetrating enemy armor, you still can't guarantee that happening, especially if you are shooting Battleship guns and/or shooting at violently maneuvering small targets.

That's quite informative. Thanks! :)

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

if it show us like WoT will be good info ... but again .. it maybe too much info since it not gonna change our play style much since most shell land on the deck and we not aiming to the weakess armor anyway ... just aim for citadels ....

Sign in to follow this