Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Storm

On balance and RPS

4 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

Or why the rock-paper-scissors method of balance is a total disaster.

For reference here is the image WG has provided which shows their view of the optimal state of balance:

Picture-1-EN-1024x436.jpg

People who have been playing the game for some time now would be fairly familiar with it, the general gist is that battleships hard-counter cruisers, who in turn hard-counter destroyers, while they then hard-counter battleships, which forms the triangle of counters, and then aircraft carriers are both hard-counters to everything and Vice Versa.

There are several reasons why this doesn't work at all, the first one being that hard-counters are just generally bad ways to achieve balance outside of the RTS genre, for a slow-paced, third-person shooter style MMO game like this, which at its core it simply isn't fun to come up against a ship which very good chance at beating you regardless of individual skill, while this can be avoided with good play (by not getting into that situation in the first place), for most people it's just frustrating.

The next key issue why this method doesn't work is the unequal way in which counters are applied, which leads to some classes being significantly weaker or stronger than others, while battleships have no issues shutting cruisers down destroyers can have a very hard time defeating battleships as they are reliant on their torpedoes, which requires the ship that they were fired at to not change course at all until the torpedoes hit, which as you can probably imagine is significantly less effective than sending a number of 400mm+ shells down into someone's boiler room. And once carriers are added into the equation things get really messy, as they are only truly vulnerable to other carriers until the end of the game, but they remain capable of countering any other class until that point.

Lastly, with an RPS system of balancing, and this is especially true given how poor WG has proven itself to be at creating competent matchmaking systems, you require equal amounts of each class, otherwise one class gets stuffed before the game even begins and another becomes disproportionately powerful, a game with lots of cruisers won't be much fun for the couple of destroyers that sneak in, but the battleships will have a field day, from my experience playing the game the numbers of each class are never equal, hence another reason why this system has resulted in a failure of balance.

In short the balance is bad and WG should feel bad.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Totally agree with this.

Although just highlighting problem won't make things change unless we can suggest some solutions, I'd like to hear some of us here to give their voices on this matter. :honoring:

(I'm still thinking about how to fix this, no solution yet from my end though :hiding:

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

There's plenty I could write about this given I've been gaming for over 35 years. Friends and I even designed our own 'medieval/magic' style game (think D&D) using an entirely unrelated rules system (an obscure thing called 'ShatterZone') that is superior to any of the hack/slash/magic genre we've played.

But I fail to see the point. WG has gone so far down this path that it's like trying to unscramble and egg. That it isn't well balanced, and isn't working particularly well, doesn't surprise me.

Doesn't mean it can't be fun, but fun in this case for me means "I'll log on and play a battle or two then quit; it's not costing me anything but gaming time".

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,636 battles

If you wanted balance and historical game play then you could have

1x CV under control of single player, or

1x BB per player

2x CA/CL per player

4x DD per player

each having their historical values. But I know this would be much of an impossible thing to do from a game play point of view. So maybe not much help

Sign in to follow this