You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OpaBollard68

Damage Bullshit

51 comments in this topic

55 posts
1,095 battles

Can some 1 explain to me How I am in a battleship 5kms from a destroyer I put a full broadside into there midships and I mean every shell hit and It reduced him if lucky by 1/8th of his bar He fires at me and half my bar went I am ex RAN I know for a fact that a full broadside from a battleship would blow that destroyer out of the water Why in this game do es it not work Is bull shit They fire 4 or 5 rounds to the 1 of the battleship yet they seem to do more damage How is that fair?????

55 posts
1,095 battles

Were you using armour piercing or high explosive?

It happens on both types I used to use AP a lot in my BB but now I stick mainly with HE what I explianed happened last 2 games Is pissing me of

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

For a start, there's no way a destroyer could possibly take out half of your HP with it's guns (torpedoes are an entirely different matter), it is quite literally impossible, so either something else hit you (such as another ship you hadn't noticed, or maybe some torpedoes if the destroyer launched some), or you're making that up.

Next, over-penetration is a thing, so destroyers with almost no armour will always receive the smallest possible amount of damage if you hit them with AP, generally, you want to shoot HE at destroyers, and AP at everything else.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

It's a choice.

You should know by now that for battleships, armour-piercing works against other battleships and cruisers. High explosive works against destroyers.

Thats it dont offer any advice will you

There's nothing to offer. He's mocking you because you're complaining about firing shells that have too much energy that they go clean through the ship, not doing a lot of damage on the way. I would, too, but someone has to be civil.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Can someone explain to me how a full broadside of a BB into a DD at 5km range can only lower it's hitpoints by ~12%?

Meanwhile the DD returns fire and takes half of my hitpoints way?

Don't use AP on targets that have no armor to penetrate.

I'm also going to assume that you're writing about a DD continously showering you in HE, because I can't

think of a single DD capable of dealing more than ~2k damage per salvo to a BB of any tier.

In a scenario DD vs BB your best bet is to angle your ship away from the DD as much as possible. (While all guns are still angled properly)

Fire the first gun alone to figure out the aiming point, then unleash the rest of the guns.

Even just a few hits will result in high damage and, almost more importantly module damage.

The next salvo can be a regular all gun salvo, since you've already figured out the aiming.

Keep in mind that it's for the most part impossible to one-hit even a DD, so expect to fire atleast two salvos.

Do note that good US DD captains won't get closer to you than 7+ km range.

They will just stay at long range where they can easily dodge most if not all of your shells, unless they get you into a good position for a torpedo attack.

The best way to deal with these buggers is to sail towards them, it's risky due to the torpedoes, so dont get too close. (4km should be the final limit, more is better)

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts

I am ex RAN myself, and if you use AP on a DD you are doing it wrong.

A little advice, you shouldn't let a DD get within 5kms of you in the first place.

If it is unavoidable, HE all the way and let your secondaries do their job!

Edited by EvacuateBowel

55 posts
1,095 battles

People cant read I had HE in against the destroyer and no there was not any other ships around that my point This happens a lot to me Is it a hack maybe by the other player as Not all DD's do it. I know how to line my ship up I have done it in real [content removed] ships As I said I fire a salvo and then turn and zig zag line as you never go str8 in a ship in a gunnery battle I know all this stuff I am not making it up Next time I try and rember to get a screen shot and show you all
And you all say a AP will go str8 thru a DD yes it will so what that is a 16inch hole str8 thru from 1 side to the other side AP is best at water line any way so you got say 5 16 inch holes str8 thru your ship How in hell cant that cause damage It will sink the ship No damage control party could fix it in time We struggled with a 5inch hole in my practice session when I was in navy Hell we all would have died it flooded the compartment in about 45 secs Not long to shore up.

Profanity. Post edited, user warned.

~amade

Edited by amade

55 posts
1,095 battles

A little advice, you shouldn't let a DD get within 5kms of you in the first place.

Yep I always lock onto them for 2nd guns If they get that close Was an island map lots of little islands Yes I prob play my BB wrong I like getting in close with it :-) Becasue I keep thinking 1 good broadside I got them but alas it dont work

55 posts
1,095 battles

Cool when were you in I was in from 1986 to 1996 My dad was ex RN he was in the 2nd world war He has told me so much He has been in real Gunnery battles

55 posts
1,095 battles

Read some J.E McDonald books he writes 1 About when a battleclass Destroyer goes against a Battleship They had no other choice and the skipper of the DD is mad man LOL But the whole way in they now that just 1 shell Not even a whole broadside Just 1 shell hits them and bang there dead. J.E was a gunnery officer in the RAN so he knows what he is writting about

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

People cant read I had HE in against the destroyer and no there was not any other ships around that my point This happens a lot to me Is it a hack maybe by the other player as Not all DD's do it. I know how to line my ship up I have done it in real [content removed] ships As I said I fire a salvo and then turn and zig zag line as you never go str8 in a ship in a gunnery battle I know all this stuff I am not making it up Next time I try and rember to get a screen shot and show you all

And you all say a AP will go str8 thru a DD yes it will so what that is a 16inch hole str8 thru from 1 side to the other side AP is best at water line any way so you got say 5 16 inch holes str8 thru your ship How in hell cant that cause damage It will sink the ship No damage control party could fix it in time We struggled with a 5inch hole in my practice session when I was in navy Hell we all would have died it flooded the compartment in about 45 secs Not long to shore up.

I've seen it happen, (I don't play in BBs) but someone on the other team was like 'a DD CAN'T DO THAT MUCH DAMAGE IN 1 SALVO'

I had slapped him with an AP barrage with my 203mms (Was either Furutaka or Aoba) I had got a citadel hit...

Only reason I'd used AP was that I'd been hitting Cruisers and this was an AP>>HE switch salvo. It was lucky, I have tried using AP with CAs v BBs, I haven't had much luck.

Anyways I responded 'you also got hit by me at the same time'

'no it was a DD'

My suggestion would be that you are getting hit by other ships at the same time, as I would expect you would see torps/aircraft coming.

Quote updated.

~amade

Edited by amade

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Read some J.E McDonald books he writes 1 About when a battleclass Destroyer goes against a Battleship They had no other choice and the skipper of the DD is mad man LOL But the whole way in they now that just 1 shell Not even a whole broadside Just 1 shell hits them and bang there dead. J.E was a gunnery officer in the RAN so he knows what he is writting about

And yet World War 2 is full of stories of destroyers performing valourous deeds. Some of which include going toe to toe against battleships.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I used HE against the DD and there was no other ship around at that time.

I usually fire a salvo and then start evasive maneuvers, but I still get hit plenty.

Change your evasion patterns, if you get hit repeatedly by a DD, then you're using one that allows the DD to easily predict your course.

Of course it's impossible to dodge all shells, especially when fired from a US DD, but most of the remaining damage will be absorbed by your armor or hitpoints.

If there was no other ship around than it was either a torpedo salvo or continous fire of the DD.

I easily managed to take a quick 10k hitpoints of a cheeky Montana in my Sims, that's what BBs get when they get caught out of position

and aren't very good at evasive maneuvers.

Although he was also under attack by 2 BBs, so I guess eating my shells was the lesser evil compared to getting citadel hits en masse.

Also this:

How abou some replays so we can actually see for ourselves? 

Edited by Retia

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts

Cool when were you in I was in from 1986 to 1996 My dad was ex RN he was in the 2nd world war He has told me so much He has been in real Gunnery battles

1988 to 1995.

I was a Birdie (ATC) at HS816 squadron.

Good memories!

Super Tester
802 posts

If you really did land every shell, he should be dead. Post some replays and we'll tell you what went wrong.

Try to keep in mind that this is an arcade style game, and is by no means a simulator. In game model accuracy is the closest you'll get for historical accuracy, while other historical data will influence certain statistics. 

55 posts
1,095 battles

If you really did land every shell, he should be dead. Post some replays and we'll tell you what went wrong.

Try to keep in mind that this is an arcade style game, and is by no means a simulator. In game model accuracy is the closest you'll get for historical accuracy, while other historical data will influence certain statistics. 

Yeah I try not best at doing replys :-) And yeah I sure every shell hit as It suprised me that I did not get the usally spray you get with a BB broadside That how close he was :-) He game from behind a island