Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stormkeeper

Tone-class Cruiser

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
8 posts
2,125 battles

So I play a certain browser based game. And that game got me interested in the Pacific War more than anything else, and got me interested in playing WoWS too. There's a certain ship in that browser game, that's depicted as a CA(V), an aviation cruiser. I never thought much of it, and just rolled with it. Until I read Tameichi Hara's Japanese Destroyer Captain, (which by the way is an excellent book depicting the Pacific War from the IJN's PoV, in the words of someone who was involved in those actions) in which he notes that the Tone was a weird looking ship, with all turrets on the front.

So I got curious, and went and looked her up on Wikipedia. And apparently she did have "all five turrets in the new design were concentrated on the forecastle", after being redesigned from 3 fore, 2 aft in the wake of the Tomozaru Incident.

Here's what she looks like.

2i6j3mp.png

Odd looking ship, isn't she? So, what do you think it'll be like sailing her, keeping in mind most of her armament is concentrated on the front, and she has no way of responding to being tail chased. You can just see her torpedo launchers there in the side view, slightly to the rear 

Her armament is listed as 8 x 20.3cm cannons, which you can see there in four double turrets, and 12 x 61cm torpedo tubes, in four banks of triple launchers. She also carried 6 floatplanes, so perhaps would have two catapult fighters as opposed to the regular CAs having one? Also where in the tech tree would she be? She was the last heavy cruiser built by Japan and originally designed as the fifth and sixth ships of the Mogami class, so maybe another tier VIII?

What do you lot think?

Beta Tester
8 posts
2,125 battles

The Ise would be another interesting one to sail. I mean, over half of her deck space is devoted to a flight deck. But she was listed as a hybrid carrier, and she carried a comparatively substantial number of planes, 22 vs the Tone's 6. And the Ise's air group included dive bombers, while I'm pretty certain the Tone only ever carried float planes.

She also retained 4 out of her 6 dual gun turrets, so there was still some substantial firepower there for surface combat.

Edited by Stormkeeper

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

The Ise class Battleship Carriers are one of my most wanted ships in WoWs. They carry enough of a design change that they'd have to be unique in a way to play. Definitely want to see how they will do her carrier portion, maybe allowing a dive bomber squadron to take off and dive bomb the target you are currently focused on?

Beta Tester
8 posts
2,125 battles

Yeah, but the Mogami is already in game, and they're clearly not going with her CAV variant.

I was thinking about the Ise actually, and was thinking perhaps she's be like a regular BB, except when selecting her dive bombers, then perhaps she'll switch into the carrier view?

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

That depends entirely on how does WG plan to implement Aviation Cruiser/Battleship.

Just allowing them to launch additional planes is not good enough, they should get more options to control their aircrafts. However, designing options that gives players more tactical choices but not over complicate controls might take some time to think through.

I'm not expecting such concept to appear in game anytime soon, not before most nations have their tech trees filled with atleast 1 branch for each class. In other word, it would take atleast 2 years until we will first see fully operational Aviation Cruiser/Battleship.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Although to be fair to the Tone, she still behaved as a heavy cruiser despite her odd armament fixation which is similar to the Izumo and Nelsons.

A strange notion though: Tone was the last cruiser that actually hit the water and served as Ibuki and her 1941 iteration which is unnamed did not see even the shakedown cruise and Shinano died en route to her shakedown cruise.

1 post
3,174 battles

Well, she's going to be a Tier VII premium. Given her reduced main battery over Myoko, it will be interesting to see what the selling point of this ship will be. I agree that it will probably be aviation-based - either having 2 independent fighters as you suggested, or perhaps launching a single squadron of 2-4 fighters?

Edited by Ozraptor

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

I think any hybrid ship would be very difficult to balance in this game. If it has all the advantages of both CV's and CA's then it is clearly overpowered, whereas if it has all the disadvantages of both classes it would be clearly underpowered. So getting the mix right would take some effort.

Given balance is one those things that is hard to get right I would not think we will see any hybrid CA/CV's in the game soon. But who knows what the future may hold?

621 posts
2,271 battles

I think any hybrid ship would be very difficult to balance in this game. If it has all the advantages of both CV's and CA's then it is clearly overpowered, whereas if it has all the disadvantages of both classes it would be clearly underpowered. So getting the mix right would take some effort.

Given balance is one those things that is hard to get right I would not think we will see any hybrid CA/CV's in the game soon. But who knows what the future may hold?

I think a CAV should have the advantages of both classes, but just not as large an advantage. So a pure CA would be better at being a CA than a CAV and a pure CV would be better at being a CV than a CAV. More of a middle ground in between. Besides, most CAV / BBV weren't able to equip torpedoes on their planes, and torp bombers are the primary aerial damage dealers in WoWS, limiting them to bombers just to inflict burn effect.

Sign in to follow this