bakajim

Have they nerfed the Minekaze too much?

19 comments in this topic

1 post
1,470 battles

Just want other peoples opinions.  I played a game before the patch and did very well, now playing the Minekaze has gone from fun to a chore.  Have they nerfed the Minekaze too much OR has it received the rebalancing it needed?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Still the same ol', shoot up some cheeky DDs/CLs, torp some BBs/CAs and add some gun fire for good measure.

Edited by Retia

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Played Minekaze pre-post patch, no difference to me. I have always used the 7km torp (I like it, faster and shorter lead = less chance to dodge).

As for camo. Just needs abit more caution when playing it and planning your attack.

TL;DR : Makes to difference to me.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: Most skilled players would have picked the 7km torpedoes due to their higher speeds, so the nerf largely didn't affect them. What the nerf hit was the absolutely mindless spamming of torpedoes at 10km in hopes of a random hit.

Beta Tester
18 posts
2,141 battles

Yes the Minekaze which was one of the few fun DD's and is now barely more enjoyable than any other of the grind DD's. I agree it needed rebalanced but not that much. DD's as a whole are the worst performing group (as noted in statistics published on here or maybe on the NA forum can't remember where I read them) and need to be re balanced up to match other ship types.

It's still worth the grind to get to the shimekaze which is fun but it is way under powered compared to the BB's & Cl's at tier 10.

It's funny that those who complain most, barely play DD's.

423 posts
3,175 battles

No they aint, they just got a totally different playstyle...

Like the differences between a Hellcat and a JgPz...

Beta Tester
18 posts
2,141 battles

American destroyers still too weak, needs NEFF Japanese destroyers more :izmena:

Wadanohara you haven't played any IJN destroyers yet, I suggest you play them for a while before passing judgment on how hard/easy they are to play, Jchen is right they require totally different tactical play.

Beta Tester
99 posts
345 battles

No, Minekaze now just feels like a faster Izokaze.

It is faster, has same detection range, has same torpedoes.

It's the Mutsuki that I have real problems with.

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,287 battles

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: Most skilled players would have picked the 7km torpedoes due to their higher speeds, so the nerf largely didn't affect them. What the nerf hit was the absolutely mindless spamming of torpedoes at 10km in hopes of a random hit.

I respectfully disagree.

Most skilled players would have picked the 10k torps to avoid getting dead which is why they are skilled.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I respectfully disagree.

Most skilled players would have picked the 10k torps to avoid getting dead which is why they are skilled.

Your answer doesn't sound all that respectful, but whatever.

I use the 10km myself, as I don't like getting too close, but neither the 7km torp ineffective/ "Only Newbies use it".

68 knots speed is very nice for surprising BBs or occasionally some CAs too.

I do prefer the 10km one, as it differs the Minekaze from the Izokaze - but after using the 7km post-patch it do works either. Just that it plays out differently.

But I do agree Minekaze is nowhere near as good as before, as now I prefer the Musutki more than it, probably because I like to stay back (Be a C____d if you like to put it this way :P).

Edited by Alvin1020

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,287 battles

Your answer doesn't sound all that respectful, but whatever.

I use the 10km myself, as I don't like getting too close, but neither the 7km torp ineffective/ "Only Newbies use it".

68 knots speed is very nice for surprising BBs or occasionally some CAs too.

I do prefer the 10km one, as it differs the Minekaze from the Izokaze - but after using the 7km post-patch it do works either. Just that it plays out differently.

But I do agree Minekaze is nowhere near as good as before, as now I prefer the Musutki more than it, probably because I like to stay back (Be a C____d if you like to put it this way :P).

I beg your pardon?

In what way wasn't i respectful?

If I disrespected Syanda in any way I'm sure he'd mention it but he's a big grown up lad and I'm assuming he can handle someone disagreeing with him especially someone who has 400 more battles than him in DD's.

No disrespect was intended.:honoring:

[1-ATF]
Beta Tester
39 posts
4,058 battles

I respectfully disagree.

Respectfully disagreeing to your disagreement, 

Most skilled IJN DD players I've seen prefer to shoot torpedoes from just outside detection range. The Minekaze's shorter torp range still allows her to remain undetected while firing, and her great speed allows her to get away from anything after firing to avoid getting spotted.

They still manage to avoid getting dead even while toeing the line BECAUSE they are skilled.

Feel free to rub your DD experience in my face to justify your opinion over mine, but since our CBT stats are all missing in the first place, the numbers there really aren't going to be indicative of anything.

Edited by carillus

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Not all my games are reflected in my stats :P

But yes, skilled IJN DD captains will ride the edge of their detectability envelope before launching. This is to minimize the amount of time the torpedoes spend travelling - which means less chances for them to be detected from the air. By the time players reach the Minekaze, they'll be seeing a lot more aircraft around, both CV squadrons or catapult fighters, and all it takes is one circling aircraft passing overhead to ruin a torpedo ambush.

As a bonus, the 7km torps travel faster than than the 10km ones. Both are detected around the same time, but the 7km torpedoes give a significantly less amount of time for a target to react to the sudden torpedo detection, and as a result, improves the chances that at least some torpedoes will impact. Hence, skilled players tended to pick the 7km over the 10km, simply because they were good enough to ride that small 1km zone where they could still release torpedoes undetected, and the torpedoes they released would be travelling faster and for shorter times, maximizing the chances of hits.

Honestly, the only significant advantage the 10km torps had over the 7km was that they were more forgiving for ambush tactics, since the launch envelope was 3km wide instead of 1km.

Edited by Syanda