Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

Gunnery bits and adjustment

Gunnery stuff  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you achieve firing solution?

• firing in volley to see which turret scored a straddle or a hit
    • unloading a salvo and pray it either straddles or zeroes in
    • the almighty autoaim of torpedoes guides me
    • I don't range, filthy gun peasant
    • firing solution? wuzzat?
  2. 2. how many times do you need to adjust before zeroing in on a target?

• one hit is all I need from a salvo or volley to get a solution
    • 2 to 3 times before acquiring solution
    • 4+ times
    • I unload fast so its a matter of time and a crapton of salvos till I hit something
    • I sleep with the gun director and rangekeeper beside me so I can score hits without adjusting
    • leave that to the planes
    • torpedoes need adjusting?

14 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Since I received a PM in fehsbewk by a person who I threatened I mean persuaded to play raging that it takes the poor sap eight volleys to range a target, the derp generator in me asks:

How often would you zero in on targets?

This is just a random question out of the blue.

That is all.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Usually unless it's like 17-18km+ it's not that hard to land your shot on target.

Around 1-2 Salvo, for me at least as I pray to Stalin to guide my shells. May be it's just practice.

USN DD is an exception as I always under-lead it due to the Ultra Poor Velocity and Arc.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Honestly, after a while, you get used to firing, and you can instantly get a firing solution without actually needing to bracket the enemy.

Edited by Haku

195 posts
356 battles

#TorpedoMasterRace ;)

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

:sceptic:

For a cruiser and a DD it usually takes about 1-3 salvos depending on the range and the speed of the enemy; with a BB you usually rely on luck RNG STALIN mad skills to hit the enemy.

195 posts
356 battles

For torpedoes however; I find them that they are like an area denial piece of equipment. I am finding that I hit more torpedoes now that I understand how to use them (I go to a broadside when my enemies are reloading to make them think I have launched torpedoes, but when they turn I actually launch them for a surprise moment :P) as an extra piece of main battery, instead of a last resort piece of equipment, like the CIWS the Americans use for missiles.

Beta Tester
60 posts
7,247 battles

i just learnt how my shells fire and use the targeting screen to act as a basis of how to line up my shells so for example, in my Nagato at 17+ km range at another BB i will aim at the 10 degrees point in the closest zoom, and adjust accordingly depending on the shell paths

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Usually unless it's like 17-18km+ it's not that hard to land your shot on target.

Around 1-2 Salvo, for me at least as I pray to Stalin to guide my shells. May be it's just practice.

USN DD is an exception as I always under-lead it due to the Ultra Poor Velocity and Arc.

Basically sums up my gunnery, if I'm lucky i'll get the firing solution on my 1st go, but most of the time its 2nd or 3rd salvos , I don't ripple fire/fire 1 turret at a time unless the dispersion is terribad as I prefer full salvo hits. Flat gun trajectories and high shell velocities make life easier of course :)

Ships with high gun arcs such as USN DD's and the cleveland are much trickier at longer range engagements - like ~15-16km with AFT cleveland :trollface:

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

It really depends on the ship you are driving and the range at which you are trying to score a hit, e.g. long range BB shots I will often bracket, while for short range DD shots I will just spam salvoes.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles

I don't really do any of the firing solution options you've given.  I just check the range to target and shell flight time, look at the minimap to check angle of the enemy ship to me, look at the smoke combined with knowledge of that ships max speed to judge their speed, then combine that with the knowledge of my own gun's shell velocity and arc to make a best guess on lead, then adjust the solution if the target is turning and where I'll think they'll stop turning or reverse their turn.  I'll often hold my shot if I think I'll get a more probable solution in the next few seconds, depending on reload time of my guns.

I'll almost always fire the whole salvo and will straddle the vast majority of the time, but sometimes I find I get the lead a little wrong for amidships and will adjust on the next salvo.

Sign in to follow this