You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

Spotting XP

40 comments in this topic

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles

Ok, so after much plays, I think spotting XP should be introduced and here's why and under the following conditions...

CVs should get 1/4 - 1/6 XP

DDs should get full XP (Possibly slightly reduced for ninjas)

Spotting should be done with a survival factor (similar to spotting damage in WoT)

It will encourage DDs to spot the enemy and stay alive. In WoWS it is crucial to see the enemy and DDs need something to encourage them to play within their role etc.
As a DD I've had numerous games where we've won due to my smoke/spotting but have been bottom 5 XP
As a CA I've had a multitude of games where we've won/lost based on DD spotting. This is particularly relevant with ranked games.

I just had a ranked game (which was lost - I was in my Myoko) where the next best player was a DD, however he was 2nd bottom of XP...
He spotted their whole team and basically contributed (indirectly) to at least 1/2 - 3/4 of our damage.

I have been seeing this a lot, and I want DD players who play within their role, rewarded for it.

I open my idea to the floor...
Thoughts?

55 posts
3,922 battles

I'm new to WoWs but have over 28,000 battles in World of Tanks.  In WoT you get XP and credits for spotting - am surprised that the same doesn't apply in WoWs.  (In WoT it's not survival-related, by the way.  The only survival/result-related spotting thing is that your team has to win for you to get a Scout medal).   I fully agree that spotters should get XP, and would add that they should get credits too.  In WoT spotters get half the credits generated by the damage.

The fact that spotting damage is not even a metric in WoWs is a bit of a worry.

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles

I'm new to WoWs but have over 28,000 battles in World of Tanks.  In WoT you get XP and credits for spotting - am surprised that the same doesn't apply in WoWs.  (In WoT it's not survival-related, by the way.  The only survival/result-related spotting thing is that your team has to win for you to get a Scout medal).   I fully agree that spotters should get XP, and would add that they should get credits too.  In WoT spotters get half the credits generated by the damage.

The fact that spotting damage is not even a metric in WoWs is a bit of a worry.

+1

My point exactly, I just find it frustrating that there's already a model to reward good team play and yet WoWS hasn't adopted it...

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

+1

My point exactly, I just find it frustrating that there's already a model to reward good team play and yet WoWS hasn't adopted it...

Good suggestions but this game is not fully finished yet so maybe fix the current crucial issues then we could talk on implementing this spotting exp.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Ok, so after much plays, I think spotting XP should be introduced and here's why and under the following conditions...

CVs should get 1/4 - 1/6 XP

DDs should get full XP (Possibly slightly reduced for ninjas)

Spotting should be done with a survival factor (similar to spotting damage in WoT)

It will encourage DDs to spot the enemy and stay alive. In WoWS it is crucial to see the enemy and DDs need something to encourage them to play within their role etc.

As a DD I've had numerous games where we've won due to my smoke/spotting but have been bottom 5 XP

As a CA I've had a multitude of games where we've won/lost based on DD spotting. This is particularly relevant with ranked games.

I just had a ranked game (which was lost - I was in my Myoko) where the next best player was a DD, however he was 2nd bottom of XP...

He spotted their whole team and basically contributed (indirectly) to at least 1/2 - 3/4 of our damage.

I have been seeing this a lot, and I want DD players who play within their role, rewarded for it.

I open my idea to the floor...

Thoughts?

It is not DDs roll to spot... they are not light tanks or scouts. If you think you scout in a DD, you are doing it wrong.

They do not have the view distance. The BBs and CAs have the view range to spot... the taller the ship, the longer the view range.

Some ships have spotter planes, these are the 'scouts'.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles

It is not DDs roll to spot... they are not light tanks or scouts. If you think you scout in a DD, you are doing it wrong.

They do not have the view distance. The BBs have the view range to spot... the taller the ship, the longer the view range.

You misunderstand good sir, you are assuming there are CVs in the match... :sceptic:

Trust me, you are not guaranteed spotting damage as a DD in a match with a CV, however you are rewarded in a non CV match... :great:

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

They do not have the view distance. The BBs have the view range to spot... the taller the ship, the longer the view range.

To correct you in real life is Submarines are sent to scouts not DD or BB, Submarines always sent to frontline and then found the enemy fleet positions will relay cable back to their main fleet that how stuff work in WW2 but this game there no submarines so it the job for DD or CV to sent planes to scout not BB and in this game does'nt mean your spotter tower is higher you can scout ship that is not true if it tall why can't BB scout DD or CV from long range only could spot them at close range??? So in the end no one should critcise each other as this is just a suggeations, think positive not negative.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

You misunderstand good sir, you are assuming there are CVs in the match... :sceptic:

Trust me, you are not guaranteed spotting damage as a DD in a match with a CV, however you are rewarded in a non CV match... :great:

A DD cannot see as far as the other ships can. :(

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

+1

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

To correct you in real life is Submarines are sent to scouts not DD or BB, Submarines always sent to frontline and then found the enemy fleet positions will relay cable back to their main fleet that how stuff work in WW2 but this game there no submarines so it the job for DD or CV to sent planes to scout not BB and in this game does'nt mean your spotter tower is higher you can scout ship that is not true if it tall why can't BB scout DD or CV from long range only could spot them at close range??? So in the end no one should critcise each other as this is just a suggeations, think positive not negative.

Do you how far a sub can see? Not far compared to surface ships. Planes were use to find surface ships in WW2. Using a sub to spot is a waste of resources.

You sure?? DD can spot the entire fleet due to their concelement so you are telling me you don't even play DD???

I do play DD, and concealment has nothing to do with view distance. 

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles

Do you how far a sub can see? Not far compared to surface ships. Planes were use to find surface ships in WW2. Using a sub to spot is a waste of resources.

Concealment has everything to do with spotting. Being hidden but still seeing ships is the basics of spotting...

Granted CVs do it a little different, but DDs are an amazing asset, even without damage. And this leads into what reward do they have.

I'm sorry but I (and I'm guessing most of the forum members) will disagree with you emphatically on any DD play involving not spotting...

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Sure then Operation Ten Go, 2 subs spotted the Yamato, 1 heavy cruiser, 1 light cruiser and 12 destroyer on their way to Okinawa to disrupt the invasion of the Okinawa on there so if there no 2 subs for this i doubt the US Fleet have the early warning for an incoming threat. So subs are better there can spot enemy fleet at a safe diatance unlike planes there need to becarefull on AA threat and also CAP threat while Subs don't even need to. Subs can spot ships in stealthy, all kind of weathers also in day and night while planes can't. Also DD conclement got to do with the spot why?? Cause DD can spot you and you cant spot them in BB or CV. If you play DD before then you should know why at 10km enemy CL,BB or CA don't even shoot at you.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Concealment has everything to do with spotting. Being hidden but still seeing ships is the basics of spotting...

Granted CVs do it a little different, but DDs are an amazing asset, even without damage. And this leads into what reward do they have.

I'm sorry but I (and I'm guessing most of the forum members) will disagree with you emphatically on any DD play involving not spotting...

+1 nice said [Doubt he ever play DD...]

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Sure then Operation Ten Go, 2 subs spotted the Yamato, 1 heavy cruiser, 1 light cruiser and 12 destroyer on their way to Okinawa to disrupt the invasion of the Okinawa on there so if there no 2 subs for this i doubt the US Fleet have the early warning for an incoming threat. So subs are better there can spot enemy fleet at a safe diatance unlike planes there need to becarefull on AA threat and also CAP threat while Subs don't even need to. Subs can spot ships in stealthy, all kind of weathers also in day and night while planes can't. Also DD conclement got to do with the spot why?? Cause DD can spot you and you cant spot them in BB or CV. If you play DD before then you should know why at 10km enemy CL,BB or CA don't even shoot at you.

Subs may have spotted them, but it is not their role. How are they to relay their information when radio traffic is monitored by the enemy?? Their role in the Pacific was hunting ships. Subs sitting on the surface or at periscope depth are highly vulnerable. The US had surface radar.

A BB can spot another BB at a far more distance than a DD will.

You guys are confusing spotting and view distance. I don't wish to sound negative, but if you want to use your DD as spotter, you are welcome to it.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Subs may have spotted them, but it is not their role. How are they to relay their information when radio traffic is monitored by the enemy?? Their role in the Pacific was hunting ships. Subs sitting on the surface or at periscope depth are highly vulnerable. The US had surface radar.

A BB can spot another BB at a far more distance than a DD will.

You guys are confusing spotting and view distance. I don't wish to sound negative, but if you want to use your DD as spotter, you are welcome to it.

Not all subs are being told to sink the enemy ships, some subs are being told to tail enemy ships and some do also are you telling me the radar is so accurate as modern now??? Nope ww2 radar are not so advance yet so the US Fleet always sent sub to do recon first before sending their main fleet if not how does the battle of leyte gulf, operations ten go and the Invasion of Okinawa is succesfull don't tell me is DD and the radar do the job thanks. BTw you want a BB in this game to go to frontline and try to spot the enemy fleet are you serious??? Please don't make me laugh thanks. [Yes you are right enemy BB do use to spot enemy ship in real life but in this game if you want a BB to go to frontline and spot you must be insane....] The reason why DD can be a excellent Spotter because their concealment is better enemy ships can't detect them from far range unlike CL, Ca OR BB get detected from far range so the answer is a NO to BB be a spotter in this game.
Edited by davud1537

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Not all subs are being told to sink the enemy ships, some subs are being told to tail enemy ships and some do also are you telling me the radar is so accurate as modern now??? Nope ww2 radar are not so advance yet so the US Fleet always sent sub to do recon first before sending their main fleet if not how does the battle of leyte gulf, operations ten go and the Invasion of Okinawa is succesfull don't tell me is DD and the radar do the job thanks. BTw you want a BB in this game to go to frontline and try to spot the enemy fleet are you serious??? Please don't make me laugh thanks. [Yes you are right enemy BB do use to spot enemy ship in real life but in this game if you want a BB to go to frontline and spot you must be insane....] The reason why DD can be a excellent Spotter because their concealment is better enemy ships can't detect them from far range unlike CL, Ca OR BB get detected from far range so the answer is a NO to BB be a spotter in this game.

I never said anything about about BB going to front line to spot...or about being a spotter....Nor am I saying radar back in the 1940s is alike to modern radar, but it was good enough to detect surface vessels. You drew the wrong conclusions, perhaps you need work on your comprehension skills.

Using one battle as an example is not wise, all battles play out differently...for instance, who spotted the enemy at Midway, the planes did. No DDs or subs....another instance-a plane was sent over Sydney Harbour to do a recce before the subs were sent in..

​Anyway, i'm not a naval tactician, nor do i pretend to be one..All i know is that DDs have the shortest viewing distance in this game, how you use them is up to you.. 

Edited by AntifoulAwl

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles

I never said anything about about BB going to front line to spot...or about being a spotter....Nor am I saying radar back in the 1940s is alike to modern radar, but it was good enough to detect surface vessels. You drew the wrong conclusions, perhaps you need work on your comprehension skills.

Using one battle as an example is not wise, all battles play out differently...for instance, who spotted the enemy at Midway, the planes did. No DDs or subs....another instance-a plane was sent over Sydney Harbour to do a recce before the subs were sent in..

​Anyway, i'm not a naval tactician, nor do i pretend to be one..All i know is that DDs have the shortest viewing distance in this game, how you use them is up to you.. 

DDs can get closer to the enemy without being spotted, which in turn means they can see the enemy further back... I'm failing to see how DDs aren't effective spotters...

The view distances have little to do with it.

View distance is what you can see, if they are within the spotted range for their ship.

I did a little bit of a test, and my Mutsuki has a viewing range of around double it's gun range (the maximum limit of the cone for where your guns are facing - the dotted line is the range)

It doesn't mean much, as I can get within 7km of an enemy ship before it sees me (my spotted range is 6.2km)

Because I can get that close, I can ninja spot... It won't be like WoT (which allows for kamikaze spotting) as half the enemy ships will light up from long range (either from firing or being a BB) anyways. However it will give some XP reward to DD players who confirm the enemy fleet direction, who light up that CA on 2k HP running away, etc.

I fail to see how DDs aren't good for spotting?

Also I know from experience that DDs are amazing at spotting. Think about it, before the DD goes in you may spot 1-2 enemy ships. (BBs/random-firing CAs)

When that DD goes for cap you light up 5+...

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

DDs can get closer to the enemy without being spotted, which in turn means they can see the enemy further back... I'm failing to see how DDs aren't effective spotters...

The view distances have little to do with it.

View distance is what you can see, if they are within the spotted range for their ship.

I did a little bit of a test, and my Mutsuki has a viewing range of around double it's gun range (the maximum limit of the cone for where your guns are facing - the dotted line is the range)

It doesn't mean much, as I can get within 7km of an enemy ship before it sees me (my spotted range is 6.2km)

Because I can get that close, I can ninja spot... It won't be like WoT (which allows for kamikaze spotting) as half the enemy ships will light up from long range (either from firing or being a BB) anyways. However it will give some XP reward to DD players who confirm the enemy fleet direction, who light up that CA on 2k HP running away, etc.

I fail to see how DDs aren't good for spotting?

Also I know from experience that DDs are amazing at spotting. Think about it, before the DD goes in you may spot 1-2 enemy ships. (BBs/random-firing CAs)

When that DD goes for cap you light up 5+...

yes, yes . DD can be good spotter b/c they have good camo, in a perfect world. truth is, they are detected as much as any other class, b/c they are likely to meet another DD somewhere in the middle of the map, or when they got spotted and chased by a willful anti-dd CL (e.g. atlanta)  and of course planes. this is of course based on my experience from playing all classes from tier 3-10.  IMO, DDs are the worst spotters in game taking  all factors into account. BBs and CAs can also have acquisition upgrade at high tiers and they have spotter planes, and of course CVs with their squads.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Wait, DDs can spot? 

The DDs that can't even see 20km to fire their torpedoes? The DDs who can see because that friendly BB behind the DD is spotting for him?

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

Let's say this: the fastest and stealthiest ship(s) on your fleet can detect and spot enemy ships because they can arrive at the front line faster, and can stay hidden unless they are spotted by enemy too...... If you browse internet, in the WW1 and WW2, this role is relegated to submarine, fast scout cruiser, and.... DD..... American fleet use DD as a picket ships to detect incoming kamikaze planes using their powerful radar during WW2.... 

And I agree there should be reward for spotting as well as greater reward for shooting down planes..... 

Edited by Artisto81

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Let's say this: the fastest and stealthiest ship(s) on your fleet can detect and spot enemy ships because they can arrive at the front line faster, and can stay hidden unless they are spotted by enemy too...... If you browse internet, in the WW1 and WW2, this role is relegated to submarine, fast scout cruiser, and.... DD..... American fleet use DD as a picket ships to detect incoming kamikaze planes using their powerful radar during WW2....

And I agree there should be reward for spotting as well as greater reward for shooting down planes.....

+1

1,230 posts
2,351 battles

No, the recon planes do that

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

No, the recon planes do that

(Note: this action is referred to by Morison as "The Fight in Palawan Passage",[7] and elsewhere, occasionally, as "the Battle of Palawan Passage").

220px-Yamato_at_Brunei.jpg
Admiral Kurita's force at anchor in Brunei

As it sortied from its base in Brunei, Kurita's powerful "Center Force" consisted of five battleships (YamatoMusashiNagatoKongō, and Haruna), ten heavy cruisers (AtagoMayaTakaoChōkaiMyōkōHaguroKumanoSuzuyaTone and Chikuma), two light cruisers (Noshiroand Yahagi) and 15 destroyers.[7]

Kurita's ships passed Palawan Island around midnight on 22–23 October. The American submarines Darter and Dace were positioned together on the surface close by. At 00:16 on 23 October, Darter‍ '​s radar detected the Japanese formation at a range of 30,000 yd (27,000 m). Her captain promptly made visual contact. The two submarines quickly moved off in pursuit of the ships, while Darter made the first of three contact reports. At least one of these was picked up by a radio operator on Yamato, but Kurita failed to take appropriate antisubmarine precautions.[7]

this is taken from this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf#Submarine_action_in_Palawan_Passage_.2823_October.29 Apparently American, and other nation such as Germany in WW2 use submarine to scout and report enemy fleet too...

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

this is taken from this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf#Submarine_action_in_Palawan_Passage_.2823_October.29 Apparently American, and other nation such as Germany in WW2 use submarine to scout and report enemy fleet too...

This Battle was happened in Leyte Gulf so Submarines are usefull in spotting/reconing.
Edited by davud1537