Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Project 66 heavy cruiser

9 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I'm currently in a derp spree so forgive me for repeatedly spemming topics.

I really wish that I would have seen some more crunch on the data for this thing but I really want to rage at the Russian information raiders as well as the RU archive raiders for not releasing more crap on some of their ships, especially this thing.

So now I ask Mother Russia... exactly DAFUQ IS DIS GLORIOUS PAPER SHIP HIDING UNDER BEWKS AND SUPER SEKRIT ARCHIVES WITH NO CRUNCH TO SHOW IT. Comrades, I present to you the Project 66 heavy cruiser plans although I may warn you that stuff I info raid is very limited. Perhaps the info raiders at EU and NA could help if I ever did have contacts with em (I seriously do want contacts)

2mgl8pz.jpg

Since at 1948 onwards, the Des Moines was the latest generation heavy cruiser that finished its shakedown cruise at the time and 1946 technically started the Cold War Era so it wasn't surprising then-Soviet Russia went all "right, that Des Moines is quite a solid cruiser... now how the hell do we whack it?" so they started paper ships of their own. Now the weirder part is that aside from the battleship plans such as the glorious Projekt 24 "Sovetsky Soyuz", there were two ships that they wanted to match or even outclass and those were the Alaska and the Des Moines in which they had the answer in paper: one was the Stalingrad battlecruiser against the Alaska because of Stalin's penchant of "ERMAGHERD BETTELKROOZA" and that the Alaska, without any doubt despite the Americans insisting she's just an oversized large cruiser, behaved pretty much like a battlecruiser and the Projekt 66 against the Des Moines. Well... Stalin wanted bigger so Projekt 82 (Stalingrad) was already studied in design but the Navy wanted to push with the Projekt 66 and the Great Comrade had to relent to the heavy cruiser because of silly things such as "comrade, the battlecruiser is very expensive!". Its so glorious that my goatee and mustache stubble grew a few centimeters back.

291hzpj.jpg

The thing was supposedly slated to be the "EYE WEEL KEEL YOU" for the Des Moines and as such she was armed accordingly... in the manliest Russian way possible. As all heavy cruisers at the time outfitted 203's/8 inch guns on their heavy cruisers, this thing however wanted to pack 220's/9 inch guns on her in three triple mounts much like the adversary she was to blast and had a projected effective range of about 48 km had a couple of 130mm secondaries and a relatively reasonable AA suite which I suspect would be crammed with more hax if she was retrofitted. She was to have a speed of about 33 knots and had protection of about 155mm thick of belt and max thickness of 170mm of deck. She is also second in displacement in ships as her bit had her at 30k tonnes which should put her in league with the Alaska large cruiser as that thing had about 35k tonnes of displacement although in a slightly amusing note, the Des Moines had about 22k tonnes of displacement so she was closer to a "large cruiser" than a "heavy cruiser".

k3mx5c.jpg

Wouldn't blame the Russians for this though since both Alaska and Des Moines were the most advanced (at the time) ships that weren't capital ships that was set into the freakin water and they wanted to match em so hard that the glory of the Soviet Navy at the time was in paper... well the gun warships for that matter since when warships turned missile, they had a significant fleet camping in the Black Sea. I have to admit, my first reaction upon seeing this is "sweet mother of God... WE NOW HAVE A RUSSIAN LARGE CRUISER!" since the only known ships of that type in blueprint since Alaska won the race to build these things were the 1047 and the B-65 since I have no idea if the Brits even wanted to build large cruisers and naming em battlecruisers.

437b3380-477f-474e-917f-ccf11cd719b8_zps

Here's a pic of the model somewhere at St. Petersburg. The Shooter is a buff and an information raider living somewhere in EU, Finland to be more specific called "Valokuvat". And no, he's not rolling in WoWS and taking part of the voluntary information raiding afaik.

TKR_Proect_66_03.jpg

This is one of those times I really REALLY want to join the WG archive raiders even as a dedicated job because the stuff they may drag out is interesting

Derp.exe has stopped working.

That is all.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

you see Ivan, paper ships is stronk ships, we hide it so no one can see stronk ship~

P.S hoping to see this someday~

"but Tovarisch, how can we display glorious Mother Russia ships to capitalists if no one see how stronk ship is?"

I really hope so as well since its likely this will pretty much behave as the ultimate Russian cruiser killer posing as a "heavy" cruiser.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

No wonder the Russian tree was delayed.

most of their stuff is at St. Petersburg however but I don't know if WG gets dibs on super secret data for ships like this.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

most of their stuff is at St. Petersburg however but I don't know if WG gets dibs on super secret data for ships like this.

For reasons of "Russian Pride", given thats their biggest player base, yes

Super Tester
1,677 posts

For reasons of "Russian Pride", given thats their biggest player base, yes

The tank industry one can understand as the Russians had to literally make 50 tanks per day due to the need, but as for the ships, the old Russian Navy was a sound as they had before the whole Pacific Fleet whacking and Oktobraskaya thing and most of them atm I think want historical ships, not their own paper ships that much. 

A fun notion is that Russia started to have their navy in-line when ships started turning missile.

[KGHSF]
3,207 posts
6,043 battles

Russian had many of Projects ships with buildable and unbuildable since DD Leningrad very first series

and latest is

• Project B-320/320 II: Ob-class floating hospital

Sign in to follow this