Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bulwyf

Get rid of manual torpedo release

14 comments in this topic

45 posts
1,228 battles

Torpedo bombers in game are a quantum more effective than they were in reality where they were phased out due to their vulnerability and general hopelessness.

One of the primary reasons they are effective in game is the manual release which allows players to guarantee hits on a ship by last minute release of torps while ignoring any of the facets which went into a torpedo bomber approach.

Reality was torpedo bombers were easily avoided unless they adopted an L attack with two squadrons attacking a ship from 90 degrees apart meaning it didn't matter which way the ship turned it would be hit in the flank. This was a real tactic and one you almost never see in game due to the stupidity which is the manual torpedo release.

Torpedo bombers needed to fly low and slow and straight for a good torpedo release, not so in game where torpedoes are delivered in dives, pop up manoeuvres and mid turn in almost a skip bombing manoeuvres which shriek bullshit to anyone with even a modicum of knowledge regarding how these aircraft delivered their ordnance.

Further torpedoes had to run about 900 to 1000 metres to activate, not 100 like in the game.

Most in game torpedo releases would result in torpedoes failing to run or hitting the bottom or exploding prematurely.

Captains of ships had no control over what their aircraft did and this is how it should be in game. I am sick to death of being torped by some fool who pops his aircraft over a mountain in a manoeuvre which Luke Skywalker would find difficult and torps you from point blank range where you have zero chance of evasion and cant even flak him because the mountain obscures him (tho apparently not his aim) from your flak till he releases.

This would be easily cured by getting rid of the manual release and replacing it with the ability to make a wide or tight spread on the torpedoes with appropriate activation time on a normal release. Hell this might even encourage some realist approaches to ensure hits.

When this happens I don't think wow wonderful shot, I think I have been taken out by a stupid unrealistic game mechanic which could be easily fixed and which this company has chosen to do nothing about.

On a similar note, get rid of seeing through islands with ship torpedo solutions which allow you to fire blindly at a ship which you cant realistically see. I mean that screams BS don't you think?

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Torpedo bombers in game are a quantum more effective than they were in reality where they were phased out due to their vulnerability and general hopelessness.

One of the primary reasons they are effective in game is the manual release which allows players to guarantee hits on a ship by last minute release of torps while ignoring any of the facets which went into a torpedo bomber approach.

Reality was torpedo bombers were easily avoided unless they adopted an L attack with two squadrons attacking a ship from 90 degrees apart meaning it didn't matter which way the ship turned it would be hit in the flank. This was a real tactic and one you almost never see in game due to the stupidity which is the manual torpedo release.

Torpedo bombers needed to fly low and slow and straight for a good torpedo release, not so in game where torpedoes are delivered in dives, pop up manoeuvres and mid turn in almost a skip bombing manoeuvres which shriek bullshit to anyone with even a modicum of knowledge regarding how these aircraft delivered their ordnance.

Further torpedoes had to run about 900 to 1000 metres to activate, not 100 like in the game.

Most in game torpedo releases would result in torpedoes failing to run or hitting the bottom or exploding prematurely.

Captains of ships had no control over what their aircraft did and this is how it should be in game. I am sick to death of being torped by some fool who pops his aircraft over a mountain in a manoeuvre which Luke Skywalker would find difficult and torps you from point blank range where you have zero chance of evasion and cant even flak him because the mountain obscures him (tho apparently not his aim) from your flak till he releases.

This would be easily cured by getting rid of the manual release and replacing it with the ability to make a wide or tight spread on the torpedoes with appropriate activation time on a normal release. Hell this might even encourage some realist approaches to ensure hits.

When this happens I don't think wow wonderful shot, I think I have been taken out by a stupid unrealistic game mechanic which could be easily fixed and which this company has chosen to do nothing about.

On a similar note, get rid of seeing through islands with ship torpedo solutions which allow you to fire blindly at a ship which you cant realistically see. I mean that screams BS don't you think?

6 words for you, HELL NO!!!!!!!

[The auto aiming is already a fail and now removing manual torps release for??? Then might as well remove Manual aiming for dive bombing then. And if you just want this to be removed because you fail to EVASIVE MANUVER then that your problem if this get removed i garuantee you CV COMMANDERS WILL NOT GIVE YOU A GOOD LIFE IN WOWS!] So once again HELL NO!!!

Edited by davud1537

14 posts
497 battles

Don't talk so much about realism in a game with hit point pools. Tbh, CVs are kinda tough to balance, and removing manual drops would make CVs rather useless against anyone with a clue of the A or D key. Which brings to a new point, once you see TBs or even DBs closing in towards you, turn away from them and keep turning (just not into anything) so that the area exposed to torps/bombs is reduced.

TLDR press and hold A or D key and only eat one torp instead of 4.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Don't talk so much about realism in a game with hit point pools. Tbh, CVs are kinda tough to balance, and removing manual drops would make CVs rather useless against anyone with a clue of the A or D key. Which brings to a new point, once you see TBs or even DBs closing in towards you, turn away from them and keep turning (just not into anything) so that the area exposed to torps/bombs is reduced.

+1

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Guarantee??? You've obviously never seen me play a CV..... :sceptic:
Edited by Krieg

295 posts
501 battles

manual drop is good, but AA is kinda too underpowered on IJN ships, they need a LITTLE BIT buff to increase accuracy, so this can punish bad carrier player who don't have idea how to drop bombs, and those who make their plane fly around on top of you (especially tier 4-6)

423 posts
3,175 battles

Hmmm, automatic release is a failure to say the least... so NO. Basically all you gotta do in this situation is to wiggling or drifting your ship to the direction the airplane are coming in. Chances are they gotta re-route the vector, giving you more chance to shoot down their airplanes.

Are you sure to never see higher tier CV doing that? A lot, from tier VI IJN and VII USN onward...

Mostly they have. Let's say, the Captain Alpha of forward recon dive bombing squadron seeing the enemy ship Maus doing some butt sehk with the enemy ship TOG. Circle around the diving angle on the manual vector 2 degree north of the enemy formation and start their attack. 4 out of 6 bombs hit. 2 failed to explode. 2 successful explosion deal 2000 HP, with a fire on the deck.

Captain Bravo of strike torpedo bombing squadron seeing the enemy ship trying to get the damage control into action, waiting for the TOG to extinguished the fire to decend into ideal dropping altitude. Then by the Captain's command, approaching the TOG from its port side and start their launching 40 degree forward into the Maus position. Torpedoes moving at 54 knots, hitting the TOG hull with 4 direct hits, causing massive flooding and **** like that.

Now let's say something, remember that the strike order came from the top of the chain of command, which is in this case, the ship's captain. And then they give the order to the squadron commander to strike. Some could say, at will. It would be weird in real life to have the air squadron repeat the same attack pattern EVERYTIME. So you guess it, let they do the things by their book or by their gut feeling. The game let us at that time being the squadron commander. Let just say it is.

I don't get what you really mean in this one, maybe you said that the artillery is shooting laser and WW2 destroyer got their torpedoes guided by satellites... That is new, for as far as I can see, DD can only torp the target they are "locked" on, by their sight or by their friendly's sight, and the solution is only due to you SAILING WITHOUT ANY VARIATION. Try slowing down and speeding up, or changing direction. Easily the torpedo firing solution would find it as not scoring very much hit as it would.

And for the "shoot things behind islands", lol, haven't artillery could shoot over the obstacle?

TL;DRBINGO!!!!!

45 posts
1,228 battles

I take your point about realism, WOWS has very little of it but could stand some improvement. I agree CV's are hard to balance also.

As to avoiding torpedo bombers you cant always do that. If they pop over a mountain you don't see them till the last minute, cant engage them till the last minute and if your between islands cant even necessarily evade. All of that, where they shouldn't even be able to do a drop.

As to turning to avoid them if the drop is very close (Good CV players can drop extremely close to you) you simply don't get the chance to turn, even in a DD. Less competent CV players may be easily avoided but the guys who know what they are doing can take out a ship very easily. Far more easily than was historically the case.

Hmmm, automatic release is a failure to say the least... so NO. Basically all you gotta do in this situation is to wiggling or drifting your ship to the direction the airplane are coming in. Chances are they gotta re-route the vector, giving you more chance to shoot down their airplanes.

Are you sure to never see higher tier CV doing that? A lot, from tier VI IJN and VII USN onward...

Mostly they have. Let's say, the Captain Alpha of forward recon dive bombing squadron seeing the enemy ship Maus doing some butt sehk with the enemy ship TOG. Circle around the diving angle on the manual vector 2 degree north of the enemy formation and start their attack. 4 out of 6 bombs hit. 2 failed to explode. 2 successful explosion deal 2000 HP, with a fire on the deck.

Captain Bravo of strike torpedo bombing squadron seeing the enemy ship trying to get the damage control into action, waiting for the TOG to extinguished the fire to decend into ideal dropping altitude. Then by the Captain's command, approaching the TOG from its port side and start their launching 40 degree forward into the Maus position. Torpedoes moving at 54 knots, hitting the TOG hull with 4 direct hits, causing massive flooding and **** like that.

Now let's say something, remember that the strike order came from the top of the chain of command, which is in this case, the ship's captain. And then they give the order to the squadron commander to strike. Some could say, at will. It would be weird in real life to have the air squadron repeat the same attack pattern EVERYTIME. So you guess it, let they do the things by their book or by their gut feeling. The game let us at that time being the squadron commander. Let just say it is.

I don't get what you really mean in this one, maybe you said that the artillery is shooting laser and WW2 destroyer got their torpedoes guided by satellites... That is new, for as far as I can see, DD can only torp the target they are "locked" on, by their sight or by their friendly's sight, and the solution is only due to you SAILING WITHOUT ANY VARIATION. Try slowing down and speeding up, or changing direction. Easily the torpedo firing solution would find it as not scoring very much hit as it would.

And for the "shoot things behind islands", lol, haven't artillery could shoot over the obstacle?

TL;DRBINGO!!!!!

Automatic release works fine if you use historical tactics. 

I didn't say never, I said almost never and that has been my experience. I recently got hammered by a coordinated torp strikes where I turned to avoid one sqn straight into the second coming in at right angles. There was nothing I could do as I got hit no matter where I turned. My hats off to the guy who did it. Though I don't see it happen often it is an effective attack and one that was historically trained for and attempted. A fully coordinated strike would involve torps and bombers to split the air defences also. This actually happened at Midway I believe where the zeroes went low after the TBF torpedo bombers who were massacred but couldn't climb to get the dive bombers who did all the real damage.

Now let's say something, remember that the strike order came from the top of the chain of command, which is in this case, the ship's captain. And then they give the order to the squadron commander to strike. Some could say, at will. It would be weird in real life to have the air squadron repeat the same attack pattern EVERYTIME. So you guess it, let they do the things by their book or by their gut feeling. The game let us at that time being the squadron commander. Let just say it is

Real engagements would see the sqns a long way from the CVs ie 75 or more miles. The ships captain normally had zero idea of what his sqns were attacking, how they were doing it, and how successful they were. Recon and after action reports were notoriously inaccurate. The decisions were made by the sqn commanders and the CV commander had pretty much no input other than strike this target as in task force. Using the automatic attacks is pretty much the limit of what the sqn commander could do. The only torpedo release he could control was his own and every individual pilot was in the same boat. They could if they were good co ordinate the strikes. Radios were pretty dodgy back then so aircraft didn't necessarily have good contact with each other and especially not with their home CV

What I mean is the fact that you can lock up a target while you cant see them ie they are behind an island. So usually a DD fires a spread at the end of the island which due to the prediction arrives just as the target ship emerges from behind the island. DDs are the worst for this as often the target cant see them due to their invisibility shield (which is another BS feature as they were quite easily seen) This predictive firing solution for targets you cant see it absolute and total BS and never happened not least because ships usually only carried one reload of torpedoes and couldn't afford to spray and pray them as they do in game. I suspect this was something they just didn't bother to fix because it was a low priority. Unfortunately the sighting rules in the game are total rubbish and bear no resemblance to reality. Ships could see each other easily at far greater ranges than in game and only things like smoke (which was much more readily available than in game) squalls, rain, fires etc would affect that.

Yep but they needed trained observers with phone or radio links to do so and if they weren't pre prepared it took quite a while.

I'm fairly confident that you will find zero instances of ships engaged each other over land masses let alone mountainous islands.

Red/Hard to read text.  Post Edited. User already warned.

~dead_man_walking

Edited by dead_man_walking

621 posts
2,289 battles

I use the L tactic quite regularly. Also, torpedoes do have an arm time, I was once saved by enemy CV dropping his torps too close and causing duds.

45 posts
1,228 battles

I have struck the odd player who the L attack and bravo for them for using real tactics. As to the torpedo arm distance, I know they have one its just a fraction of what it should be though.

Sign in to follow this