Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bulwyf

Larger maps

27 comments in this topic

45 posts
1,228 battles

A major problem in the game is the tiny maps which means people are bumping into the edges in no time at all. This also is a cause of blue line running, which was supposedly fixed but Ill be damned if I can see that anything has been done to address that.

I play Digital Combat Simulator which has both far more complex graphical models,  systems models which dwarf anything in WOWS and has to do so with many more players in a high speed multi altitude environment. Yet its map is huge and far more detailed, including ground vehicles, people, aircraft, ships, buildings etc. So plainly big maps are doable (they model the whole of the Ukraine) especially since the dynamic portions of WOWS maps are pretty limited.

Viewable range would not need to change and maps could be 4 times bigger minimum to ameliorate some of he board edge problems which constantly crop up and which no attempt seem to be being made to address.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

A major problem in the game is the tiny maps which means people are bumping into the edges in no time at all. This also is a cause of blue line running, which was supposedly fixed but Ill be damned if I can see that anything has been done to address that.

I play Digital Combat Simulator which has both far more complex graphical models,  systems models which dwarf anything in WOWS and has to do so with many more players in a high speed multi altitude environment. Yet its map is huge and far more detailed, including ground vehicles, people, aircraft, ships, buildings etc. So plainly big maps are doable (they model the whole of the Ukraine) especially since the dynamic portions of WOWS maps are pretty limited.

Viewable range would not need to change and maps could be 4 times bigger minimum to ameliorate some of he board edge problems which constantly crop up and which no attempt seem to be being made to address.

How big you want??? A map that is infinity?? The current problem for draw rates is too high as much as expected, look how fast are all the ships going so you want a map that is too big and let a enemy cv float away and let the whole team to chase it then time finish=draw no thanks the current time is already a problem on those map now you want a big map for??? This is not RTS BTW.

Edited by davud1537

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

The current maps take a considerable amount of time to move before you can actually start engaging the enemy. You want them to be even bigger?

Edited by Haku

423 posts
3,175 battles

the map if make any bigger would render the timeframe of the battle longer to accumulate. And seriously, unless you're a hardcore player, nobody would like to spend another 30 minutes in a 20 minutes long match just because someone wants the map to be bigger.

But I do agree on adding more "destructible" stuffs on map :playing: that would be very nice!

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

the map if make any bigger would render the timeframe of the battle longer to accumulate. And seriously, unless you're a hardcore player, nobody would like to spend another 30 minutes in a 20 minutes long match just because someone wants the map to be bigger.

But I do agree on adding more "destructible" stuffs on map :playing: that would be very nice!

+2 [bTW Reach college before 8am :playing:]

45 posts
1,228 battles

The maps are tiny, people are bumping the edges within the first couple of minutes. You don't need to start further away, just have room to manoeuvre and that is what ships really did have. The games have time limits anyway so these arguments against decent size maps are so much fluff.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

The maps are tiny, people are bumping the edges within the first couple of minutes. You don't need to start further away, just have room to manoeuvre and that is what ships really did have. The games have time limits anyway so these arguments against decent size maps are so much fluff.

There some map is huge such as North, Ice, Hotspot, 2 brothers, Faultline and The new dawn, the only small map currently with too much blue liner is Strait and Solomon Islands but WG are working on the blue line issue and also not all MAPS are small so Commanders will just go blue line it let said some don't paid attention to their situatuon awarness, their map, skillless noob, intentionally noob or trying to test the patience of the other Commanders and WG! So once again HELL NO!!!

149 posts

Man......trust me u don't want one....imagine trying to go back all the way back to ur base for the Cap reset....if u r playing with BB there is no way in hell you can reach the spawn base before the timer runs out.....

[Edit]-typo

Edited by KNEEPAIN

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Man......trust me u don't want one....imagine trying to go back all the way back to ur base for the Cap reset....if u r playing with BB there is no way in hell you can reach the spawn base before the timer runs out.....

[Edit]-typo

+1

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

sigh, not again. USN bb already having lots of trouble just to get into the front-line on most maps. it will take them 5 mins just to get enemy ship inside their range. i even think that the current maps are too huge for slow ass american bb. specially maps like hot spot and island of ice.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

sigh, not again. USN bb already having lots of trouble just to get into the front-line on most maps. it will take them 5 mins just to get enemy ship inside their range. i even think that the current maps are too huge for slow ass american bb. specially maps like hot spot and island of ice.

+1

45 posts
1,228 battles

Some fairly short sighted answers here especially from davud1537. 

Larger maps in no way delay getting to grips with the enemy. At no point did I suggest moving the start points or starting people further from each other. Time to engage would be exactly the same and total time of games is limited by the timer in any case so US BBs will get to the front in exactly the same time as they do now. Only difference is that those who don't enjoy running the blue line wont have to as there would be some room to move.

As to large maps there are none! the biggest maps are still tiny the smaller ones ridiculously so.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Larger maps in no way delay getting to grips with the enemy. At no point did I suggest moving the start points or starting people further from each other. Time to engage would be exactly the same and total time of games is limited by the timer in any case so US BBs will get to the front in exactly the same time as they do now. Only difference is that those who don't enjoy running the blue line wont have to as there would be some room to move.

As to large maps there are none! the biggest maps are still tiny the smaller ones ridiculously so.

Depend on the WG, maybe there will implement it?

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Not such a good idea to have even larger maps.

- More Draws.

- Longer time to travel from A to B point - i.e. Even harder to make plays to save a game

- Consider the people loves "NO CAP KILL ALL".

- More reason not to grind through the Terrible 21 knots USN BB.

- If there is (Still) room for people to hide/Blue line, people will. This is an "Online Game", not Shangri-la.

- The maps are pretty big already. Just that the islands make you feels the map are "Small".

- There is a lot of room to let you move around already at the first place.

Edited by Alvin1020

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

- More Draws.

- Longer time to travel from A to B point - i.e. Even harder to make plays to save a game

- If there is (Still) room for people to hide/Blue line, people will. This is an "Online Game", not Shangri-la.

- The maps are pretty big already. Just that the islands make you feels the map are "Small".

Is'nt that what I said b4?

45 posts
1,228 battles

- More Draws.

None of what you say makes any sense. Ships would start same distance apart, how does that affect time to engage? 

I am not suggesting that blue lining would be impossible, just that it would give room to manoeuvre which is plainly lacking at the moment.

- More Draws.

More draws I assume refers to map drawing time, I have never noticed any problem with this, the map extends way behind the area you play in and has no features to slow draw down so shouldn't affect your speed in any way.

Ok not sure I even understand the last part but if start points are the same then distance from A to B is the same is it not? You just don't bump into board edges so readily. As to making plays to save the game, no one is forcing you to go away from the capture areas though to be truthful they are fairly dodgy idea at best anyway. 

The last statement just seems stupid so ill leave it.

Red/Hard to read text.  Post Edited. User Warned.

~dead_man_walking

Edited by dead_man_walking

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

None of what you say makes any sense. Ships would start same distance apart, how does that affect time to engage? 

I am not suggesting that blue lining would be impossible, just that it would give room to manoeuvre which is plainly lacking at the moment.

- More Draws.

More draws I assume refers to map drawing time, I have never noticed any problem with this, the map extends way behind the area you play in and has no features to slow draw down so shouldn't affect your speed in any way.

Ok not sure I even understand the last part but if start points are the same then distance from A to B is the same is it not? You just don't bump into board edges so readily. As to making plays to save the game, no one is forcing you to go away from the capture areas though to be truthful they are fairly dodgy idea at best anyway. 

The last statement just seems stupid so ill leave it.

Red/Hard to read text.  Post Edited. User Warned.

~dead_man_walking

umm no he means battle draws, not the draw distance.

having bigger maps means players like DDs and aircraft will then use the outside of the map to try and get behind the enemy and that would take a lot of time and frustrate the hell out of other players who see DD going to the edge of the map and not being in the fight.

plus more players would then just run and run and run and run and keep running until they get to the blue line and other players will just chase and chase and chase and chase them until they do hit the blue like like they do now.

having bigger maps WILL NOT IMPROVE GAME PLAY AT ALL.

45 posts
1,228 battles

Don't agree, it could only improve game play as people are bumping the board edges within a couple of minutes on these tiny maps. If people want to run then they should be able to. It was a legitimate tactic unlike what we have now which is akin to a cage fight.

621 posts
2,289 battles

Can't really compare DCS to WoWS. In DCS you use jet aircraft that can go up to hundreds of knots; the fastest ship in WoWS is about 45 knots. A distance that would take a jet plane 5 minutes could take a ship an hour.

Beta Tester
359 posts
7,415 battles

The reason people are running into the borders is players exploiting (cheating) the effect that occurs by running along the border of the map these individuals that regularly "blue line" would/ will continue to do so. Now if WG do fix the blue line exploit and that seems to be a big if at this stage, then no one will be blue lining and this problem would dissapear and there would be no need to create larger maps.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

Don't agree, it could only improve game play as people are bumping the board edges within a couple of minutes on these tiny maps. If people want to run then they should be able to. It was a legitimate tactic unlike what we have now which is akin to a cage fight.

I guess you one of these players that always run away at first sight of the enemy ships or one who wants to sit at make range of the guns all the time hey

ummm no, but sorry you really don't get it do you. it wont happen you not going to get bigger maps ever so stop asking.

if you don't like it then don't play the game, simples really!!!!!!

45 posts
1,228 battles

No I'm not and to suggest that I am simply because I want larger maps is rather foolish.  I hadn't realised you were the one which made the decision on game features Yobbo.

I guess you one of these players that always run away at first sight of the enemy ships or one who wants to sit at make range of the guns all the time hey

ummm no, but sorry you really don't get it do you. it wont happen you not going to get bigger maps ever so stop asking.

if you don't like it then don't play the game, simples really!!!!!!

No I'm not and to suggest that I am simply because I want larger maps is rather foolish.  I hadn't realised you were the one which made the decision on game features Yobbo.

As to the last suggestion I may well take that up if the game remains as silly as it is.

Sign in to follow this