You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gorbon_Rubsay

Taking Out Noob Traps

65 comments in this topic

213 posts
4,335 battles

Now that we are going open release I feel that some very simple fixes could massively reduce annoyances for noobs (like me) learning the game by removing silly, non-game play related ways to shoot yourself in the foot. Some examples:

In harbor:

• Captain skills that do nothing for your ship -> highlight them in red, add a warning message "This does nothing for your ship, choose something else, NOOB"
  • Dumb upgrades: Removing DD guns for more useless AA -> this is a trap I fell into; leave trap setting to enemy ships ~ no need to put traps in the harbor. Just get rid of them
  • Clearer wording
    "+10% to main battery loading time +15% to the main battery traverse speed" yes... there is no problem with the English... After you read it 20 times and google search it to check your brain isn't broken,    
    "+20% to maximum acquisition range" what? who is getting acquired?
  • Camouflage - make it selectable for cruisers only.... unless there are players out there who like making their BBs 3% less detectable? 

In game:

• Low tier DD AA.... just remove it.  Its only purpose is to hurt noobs who haven't been told to turn it off ~ and the only way they'd know to do that is to trawl the internet. 
  • Low caliber AP shells ~ what are these for? Tickling people? Just remove

Anything else?

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Now that we are going open release I feel that some very simple fixes could massively reduce annoyances for noobs (like me) learning the game by removing silly, non-game play related ways to shoot yourself in the foot. Some examples:

In harbour:

• Captain skills that do nothing for your ship -> highlight them in red, add a warning message "This does nothing for your ship, choose something else, NOOB"  <-- reading/learning - why should everything be handed to you on a platter?  Lots of guides on skills on the forums/interwebz
  • Dumb upgrades: Removing DD guns for more useless AA -> this is a trap I fell into; leave trap setting to enemy ships ~ no need to put traps in the harbor. Just get rid of them <-- not always the wrong way to go.  I actually shoot planes down with IJN DD's so it's not as useless as many would have you believe - 1 less torp bomber at your BBs and you may just of changed the outcome of the match
  • Clearer wording

"+10% to main battery loading time +15% to the main battery traverse speed" yes... there is no problem with the English... After you read it 20 times and google search it to check your brain isn't broken,    <-- long argued in agreement here
    "+20% to maximum acquisition range" what? who is getting acquired? <-- and again see last

• Camouflage - make it selectable for cruisers only.... unless there are players out there who like making their BBs 3% less detectable? <-- take the -4% chance to be shot cammo instead 

In game:

• Low tier DD AA.... just remove it.  Its only purpose is to hurt noobs who haven't been told to turn it off ~ and the only way they'd know to do that is to trawl the internet. <-- if you look one of the pre-game "hints" actually has this already
  • Low caliber AP shells ~ what are these for? Tickling people? Just remove <-- nope you need to learn when to use what round 

Anything else?

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Quite a few of these were raised in Alpha and CB and I believe sit on the stickied thread about UI changes which can be found in the Suggestions sub-forum in the Dev's section.

Edited by Steeltrap

Alpha Tester
2,046 posts
277 battles

• Low caliber AP shells ~ what are these for? Tickling people? Just remove

Anything else?

I spit AP at your citadels

Edit: I came here for "Traps" and was disappointed.

Edited by Saito_Himea

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

if it will be that noob ... then let them play in Co-op mode 

... I saw many player play only Co-op mode and got tier8 ship ... and they not even know how to change to random battle LOL

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts

if it will be that noob ... then let them play in Co-op mode 

... I saw many player play only Co-op mode and got tier8 ship ... and they not even know how to change to random battle LOL

We do know how to change to random battle, its that we can't be bothered playing PvP with muppets.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

I do not support dumbing down the game much more. A dumbed down game, is a dumb game!

But the poor translated descriptions of some of the commander skills and modules should be fixed.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

AP citadel pens at low tier are actually hilarious.

Heh, Nuked Omahas/Murmansk/Furutakas/Tier 4 Cruisers Time and time again because people keep firing HE at me in a Tier 4/5 Cruiser when they should fire AP.

Fine then let me AP the Heck out of your ship make out of citadel :trollface:

213 posts
4,335 battles

WOW....

Lets see, the history of smartphones....

The guys at Apple:

"Lets make a device that even my 2 year old daughter can use" 

The guys at IBM/ Compaq/ Handspring:

"RTFM NOOBS!!!"

I see many people here are in the second camp. And BTW, at least a Treo 180 came with a manual.... 

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

We all gotta learn, some faster than others and the forums/reddit/google are all a few clicks and keyboard strokes away to retrieve most of the info you seek

The more people have to go outside the game to find out important things the more you know you're looking at bad design.  Internet cafe users, for example, who make up a large part of this server's player base typically spend very little time outside the game.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

The more people have to go outside the game to find out important things the more you know you're looking at bad design.  Internet cafe users, for example, who make up a large part of this server's player base typically spend very little time outside the game.

But you have to agree that there is a limit. For example, a full walk through telling you how to play the game to the point of load this ammo, equip this module, select this commander skill, go to this spot on the map takes away the sense of discovery and experimentation that enriches your experience in the game.

WG Staff
606 posts
447 battles

WOW....

Lets see, the history of smartphones....

The guys at Apple:

"Lets make a device that even my 2 year old daughter can use" 

The guys at IBM/ Compaq/ Handspring:

"RTFM NOOBS!!!"

I see many people here are in the second camp. And BTW, at least a Treo 180 came with a manual.... 

Unfortunately, yes I am somewhat on the second camp. I'd rather ask you to learn to better yourself than spoon-feed you. 

As for your main concerns:

Okay, some of the translations and wording do require improvement. I will give you that.

Perhaps a tutorial more akin to that in our other games (WoT and Blitz) will be more to your liking as primer in to the game? I can certainly ask HQ where we are on that.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Perhaps a tutorial more akin to that in our other games (WoT and Blitz) will be more to your liking as primer in to the game? I can certainly ask HQ where we are on that.

Jein, I'd rather have a tutorial like WoT Generals has.

WoTG has a tutorial with 7 stages in which every single basic game mechanic and some basic card combos are trained.

It's kind of a facepalm moment when the WoT TGC has a better tutorial than all other Wargaming games...

sTElWJG.png

All while also having some cute jokes in it...

PGVIulf.png

213 posts
4,335 battles

No, no. I'm not in favor of more tutorials or guides. No one reads them. I'm just suggesting unnecessary complications should be removed. Tips or not, why does an Umikaze have AA? Why does it have AP shells? If an upgrade option is useless, remove it. Yes, maybe the AA upgrade on the Fubuki makes sense (although I doubt it) but on the Mutsuki?  

For almost no effort, it removes a little unnecessary frustration. 

I'm seriously into this game so want the player population to increase.

All these little thing made me slap my forehead a one point... 

"5 hits" ~ YEAH!!....wait.. his health bar didn't seem to move much....

or... I'm sure I had 4 guns last time I played this ship...

And each forehead slap is probably one player giving up. 

I'm not saying the game should be made into Wii Tennis, and am in fact in favor of adding more ship control and complexity.  I just believe every feature should have a reason. We should be fighting the enemy.. not the game.

In terms of UI, if players are to Googlig what something is or how to perform a fixed ingame task than there is a UI failure. If players are Googling how to IMPROVE your skills, learn new tactics or gain a better understanding of the game mechanics then the game is succeeding.

i.e. players should be googling: "What is the best combination of captain skills?"

not: "WTF does this captain skill do? I can' figure it out"