Sign in to follow this  
Thingol

What's the point of Dive Bombers?

24 comments in this topic

168 posts
5,681 battles

Most games I'm happy enough with how I do with my carriers.

TBs work well.  Fighters work well.

But DBs just seem to be a waste of time and space.  Lucky to hit anything at all.

Am I missing something?

I am starting to think the DBs might as well just play as scouts and/or bait for enemy fighters, 'cos they sure as hell aren't doing much against any ships.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Use manual aiming and score some proper hits, you'll almost always set the target on fire.

Additionally if your aim is good (Which isn't the easiest part due to the crappy UI&controls) then

you'll score enough bomb hits to deal some very nice damage.

I suggest practicing on bots in PvE to figure out the sweet spots and then going for PvP.

Obviously in PvP hitting ships is usually more difficult due to players not sailing in a straight line... most of the time anyway...

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

Do you use manual drop?

I'll aim for the tip of the bow, by the time the planes attack it's hitting in the centre of the ship.

Edited by Epicurus_

168 posts
5,681 battles

Do you use manual drop?

I guess not.

I adjust the angle of attack is all.

How do you manual drop?

and - where do you get the WoWS stats sig?

Edited by Thingol

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

db are fine.

-they can soak damage for your torpedo bomber.

-can set battleship on fire force them to take damage or use their damage control and damage repair.

-they can disable modules and knock AA guns.

-if you know how to use manual dive bomb against battleship they are deal decent damage dealer, still pretty rng sometimes. (i remember sinking a 9k+colorado with my independence dive bomber)

-with the recent tail gunner buff. a full hp usn DB can shoot-down 1 IJN fighter if the IJN cv player is not paying attention.

- they are also nice at resetting cap

Edited by yansuki

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Why DB is good cause DB is good in precision bombing since they have precision bombing aimsight, able to dive, higher survability and able to manuver easily. DB are always good for taking out troops transport ships, LST, DD, CL, CA and CV also good for making fire on BB and take out their AA defensive position. It also good for taking out ground structure such as AA defensive position, Fortress, Bunker, Airfield and shipyard. Torpedo bomber is good in taking out ships by flooding but poor survability as most of them got shot down by Combat air patrol [CAP] Fighters or AA fire, that why TB always being sent the last to finish the job once DB bomb then TB torps them. But in this game DB should be able to destroy DD or CL in just 2 wave but require more than that.... 

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

db are fine.

-they can soak damage for your torpedo bomber.

-can set battleship on fire force them to take damage or use their damage control and damage repair.

-they can disable modules and knock AA guns.

-if you know how to use manual dive bomb against battleship they are deal decent damage dealer, still pretty rng sometimes. (i remember sinking a 9k+colorado with my independence dive bomber)

-with the recent tail gunner buff. a full hp usn DB can shoot-down 1 IJN fighter if the IJN cv player is not paying attention.

- they are also nice at resetting cap

- No they don't. Even AI knows how to prioritize targets. They'll always go for TB first then DB.

- You need to do it atleast twice for the fire to have any effect, which is quite situational compre to TB's 1-shot damage.

- Its just minor debuff.

- It's still really RNG most of the time with regards to direct bomb damage.

- It doesn't matter which nation fighter u r shooting at, USN Fighters and IJN Fighters have roughly same survivalbility. It's just that there aren't as many IJN Fighters so your DB might last longer before taken down.

- I'd prefer TB for resetting caps. DB only if enemy is BB/CV. Whether will you hit CA/DD with DB is pure RNG.

Dive Bombers is the debuff type of aircraft in this game. You need to hit your target when his Damage Control Party consumable is in cooldown to do decent damage (via fires). Unfortunately, they are hopelessly inaccurate against anything short of BB or CV; against CA or DD you have to rely on automatic attack which is really RNG. Manual aiming is the way to go against BB/CV, I'd like to see you try to manual bomb CA/DD without missing your aim entirely.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Why DB is good cause DB is good in precision bombing since they have precision bombing aimsight, able to dive, higher survability and able to manuver easily. DB are always good for taking out troops transport ships, LST, DD, CL, CA and CV also good for making fire on BB and take out their AA defensive position. It also good for taking out ground structure such as AA defensive position, Fortress, Bunker, Airfield and shipyard. Torpedo bomber is good in taking out ships by flooding but poor survability as most of them got shot down by Combat air patrol [CAP] Fighters or AA fire, that why TB always being sent the last to finish the job once DB bomb then TB torps them. But in this game DB should be able to destroy DD or CL in just 2 wave but require more than that.... 

What you wrote here may be true in real life, but that's not how things go in this game.

EDIT: Oops, double posted. :hiding:

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

- No they don't. Even AI knows how to prioritize targets. They'll always go for TB first then DB.

- You need to do it atleast twice for the fire to have any effect, which is quite situational compre to TB's 1-shot damage.

- Its just minor debuff.

- It's still really RNG most of the time with regards to direct bomb damage.

- It doesn't matter which nation fighter u r shooting at, USN Fighters and IJN Fighters have roughly same survivalbility. It's just that there aren't as many IJN Fighters so your DB might last longer before taken down.

- I'd prefer TB for resetting caps. DB only if enemy is BB/CV. Whether will you hit CA/DD with DB is pure RNG.

Dive Bombers is the debuff type of aircraft in this game. You need to hit your target when his Damage Control Party consumable is in cooldown to do decent damage (via fires). Unfortunately, they are hopelessly inaccurate against anything short of BB or CV; against CA or DD you have to rely on automatic attack which is really RNG. Manual aiming is the way to go against BB/CV, I'd like to see you try to manual bomb CA/DD without missing your aim entirely.

-really? i though AI prioritize attacking aircraft but not set if they prioritize TB over db.

-in my case i usually delay 2nd attack wave. i send tb first to force the player to use its repair for flooding then when i saw they use repair, will count to 10 before i attack them with DB to guarantee fire damage, if lucky it will start two fire but still pretty rng. but most of the time i pay attention to enemy who uses is repair ability carelessly and attack it.

-

- well at least they are more reliable now than the DB back in cbt. any more than this will make even more player complain about CV being more OP.

- an extra plane to reset is better than none. specially if there are more than one ship capping during a close fight. 

oh i forgot to add that DB are good against CV since they receive double damage from fire and it also prevent them from launching planes. saw player who delay their TB by more than a 30 or more after attacking a cv with TB to force them to use their repair when they are receiving flooding damage.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

What you wrote here may be true in real life, but that's not how things go in this game.

EDIT: Oops, double posted. :hiding:

This game should let the DD and CL to be get bomb and destroyed by just sending 2 waves of DB only and CA or BB get sunk by 2-3 mix of DB and TB but in this game it took longer than that so i guess haiz. Plus the deployment of the USN CV planes is riduculous i prefer 3-4 planes per squadron for deployment instead of 6 much too unrealistic....
Edited by davud1537

47 posts
679 battles

Most games I'm happy enough with how I do with my carriers.

TBs work well.  Fighters work well.

But DBs just seem to be a waste of time and space.  Lucky to hit anything at all.

Am I missing something?

I am starting to think the DBs might as well just play as scouts and/or bait for enemy fighters, 'cos they sure as hell aren't doing much against any ships.

It is supposed to annoy you and set you on fire :p

423 posts
3,175 battles

This game should let the DD and CL to be get bomb and destroyed by just sending 2 waves of DB only and CA or BB get sunk by 2-3 mix of DB and TB but in this game it took longer than that so i guess haiz. Plus the deployment of the USN CV planes is riduculous i prefer 3-4 planes per squadron for deployment instead of 6 much too unrealistic....

Maybe it's best to send out a squad of 6 into 2 squad of 3, since dive bomber never engage in that seagulf kind of attack that hits the waterline at 100-ish knot and still emerge intact...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Basically here the usefullness of the planes

TB>FP>DB

Why most useless or least usefull?

Low alpha damage, easy to dodge when barage ON, same or slightly different avg speed and survivalbility with TB, fire does low damage except stacked, magazine detonation is very rare especially on BB, RNG based,

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

And WHY TB is the most usefull?

Not terain retristion yet for launching the torp

Same flight altitude

Unrealistic manuveur when turning to engage

High alpha damage

Massive total damage of flooding if not get fixed fast

Most least RNG based other than ship torpedoes

High chance of flooding, engine down, and broken rudder

Higher magazine detonation chance than DB

Deadly to every ship even when Barage is ON

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Basically here the usefullness of the planes

TB>FP>DB

Why most useless or least usefull?

Low alpha damage, easy to dodge when barage ON, same or slightly different avg speed and survivalbility with TB, fire does low damage except stacked, magazine detonation is very rare especially on BB, RNG based,

Uhu....

It's all about that manual aim~

PeTYcez.jpg

yNJdAjn.jpg

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Uhu....

It's all about that manual aim~

PeTYcez.jpg

yNJdAjn.jpg

Those were some quite nice hits, but my reason stands

Well basically, i don't care whenever they will buff them or not

Edited by Harpoon01

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Those were some quite nice hits, but my reason stands

Well basically, i don't care whenever they will buff them or not

I don't see a reason for buffs.

4BaHfXM.jpg

yrHKp3x.jpg

3tFcAHt.jpg

Also, DD players still underestimating carrier maneuverability and secondaries.

4ntGJ7v.jpg

BV6ja86.jpg

fKJ8Dgn.jpg

PHGBiX1.jpg

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I don't see a reason for buffs.

4BaHfXM.jpg

yrHKp3x.jpg

3tFcAHt.jpg

Also, DD players still underestimating carrier maneuverability and secondaries.

4ntGJ7v.jpg

BV6ja86.jpg

fKJ8Dgn.jpg

PHGBiX1.jpg

I never said it needs buff, but hey, we have enough OP CV complain already

168 posts
5,681 battles

I never said it needs buff, but hey, we have enough OP CV complain already

To be sure, I don't think CVs need to be buffed.  I do enough with my TBs anyway.

its just that my DBS tend to be a whole order of magnitude less effective.

still trying to learn how to manual aim effectively to see if that helps.

Not helped that in the last couple games I kept running into US CVs with a big fighter load out.  Oh my poor bombers.

Beta Tester
49 posts
4,044 battles

After ill unlock the Air Supremacy Skill (Level 5) ..

The DB is get 1 extra plane also the Manual Drop circle getting Smaller..

For Auto Drop - attacking BB and CV - average got 2-3 hits with 1 fire level ..

For Manual Drop - attacking BB and CV - average got 3-4 hit with 2-3 fire level .

With this effect if enemy already use Dmg Control  it can eat enemy HP around 20k if 2-3 fire level

Share from from my experience using Essex during battle ..

Sign in to follow this