You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Myoko heavy cruiser

15 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Of all the cruisers Japan had released into the water, I find the Myokos the most sound of them despite the Takaos and Mogamis taking the buckload of glorious derp. Had to kick this off since tomorrow (as of this poast) is... well... TGS and at the same time the game rips off its OBT tag and sticks the CS there instead and didn't want to focus on a single ship of this class yet.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE MYOKO CLASS HEAVY CRUISER.

2zpkw82.jpg

Not THIS heavy cruiser as this is a shipgirl, a personification of the heavy cruiser class no matter how you look at her. However...

28vggv8.jpg

THIS thing in all its glory is what is found here. Deal with it. GLORIOUS JAPANESE CRUISER.

Since the nerf was then in effect that messed with the signatories navies, cruiser restrictions had to have the max of 10k tonnes of displacement and 8 inch maximum of gun, it was kinda hard to make something out of that notion. However someone actually managed to design a cruiser that was to be the progenitor for the future 'standard' heavy cruiser design and that someone was the Lead Architect Yuzuru Hiraga... well not that much if we zoom it a bit further. Building the thing, it had a displacement way above 10k, about 13k-ish when her hax was outfitted for that matter and it was kinda saved with Hiraga going all "nope.avi" initially when the brass wanted more hax stuffed on it deckside. If we speak of that however, cramming a LOT of hax topside will result in the ship being too top-heavy and may increase a bit of chance for the ship to literally keel over with strong winds and the ocean isn't really a kind mistress at times. If you want an example of top heavy ships, look at the freakin' Fusos with their huge ass pagoda masts. It also aint helping hard that during the '30's retrofitting her displacement rose to about 15k tonnes which way violated the nerf. That and Mogami was funny as they tried to cheat their way with "its okay so long as it stays under the 10k limit even if we put a lot of hax on her, right?".

There were four ships of this class that served their run: the lead ship Myoko, Nachi, Ashigara and Haguro.

nyh5wo.jpg

The cruisers were, to an extent, an incredibly souped up and redesigned version of the preceeding heavy cruiser Aoba and had two more additional dual mount turets with the unique turret layout of ABC-XY which would lead on to be a template in their successors the Takao and Mogami although for the latter, instead of the B turret being superfiring and C turret facing backwards, all turrets faced forward with turret C being the only superfiring turret at fore. Had a secondary battery of a couple of 4.7 inch guns and an AA suite that was repeately upchucked since plane spam was the repeated notion of ship sinking. Can any hardcore detailfag give me exact numbers on their crap installed please? Typical protection had em with about 4 inches of belt, 1.5 inches of deck, about 1 inch of turret and 3 inches of barbette... kinda thin for a heavy cruiser of her caliber though. All four could run at about 36 knots and had their service runs as they did.

v3f0om.jpg

Here's Ashigara for you.

Only Haguro and the Myoko had extensive service runs for that matter but that didn't stop the other sister ships to roll on their own might. One particular slugfest which had them sail together as all four was during the Battles of Java Sea where all four were present and gave the hastily formed ABDACOM fleet that was there to prevent Japan from going "I liek your place, can I has it?" in the Dutch East Indies a hard whack and successfully sending a couple of ships down under, one of which was the De Ruyter light cruiser which held the overall commander of ABDACOM and she took her down with her as well as seeing some elements were trying to scarper with one heavy cruiser they hunted down after the destroyer Electra tried to cover her run, the HMS Exeter.

2w7p8xs.jpg

(as much as I love the crazy face picture for all four sisters, its not going to do justice)

This is the Exeter and she was blasted by all four sister ships during the second brawl at Java Sea. As if to perform an honorable sinking, she was torpedoed right as she was listing and about to capsize which forced her upright due to the counterflooding the torpedo strike did and sank in that position. Its going to bite them back their sorry hulls for doing that however...

Myoko was the only survivor of the war despite being scuttled, Haguro was marked with a vendetta by the Brits by sending a hunter-killer destroyer flotilla after her, Nachi went under somewhere at Luzon and someone found her at 2001 I think and Ashigara went under near the shoreline somewhere at Singapore because a sub was there and surprised everyone and forcing the crew at Ashigara's bridge as she was trapped between the devil and the great blue sea torpedoes and the shoreline in order to perform evasive maneuvers and one sentence probably fits this: "well... shit".

In-game performance however, I still feel that she gets whacked by fellow heavy cruisers as I in the Aoba scored THREE citadels in one salvo at one point as we were gun dueling because our idiot Nagato decided to blast the destroyer at 18km instead of the Myoko at 9km. One thing I am sure of when I get Myoko is that I aint selling her because of ERMAGHERD HERSTERER and she's a heavy cruiser that I've been itching to get my hands on again.

Derp.exe has stopped working.

That is all.

I was listening to the WoWS OST while I was derping this up tho.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Nice read,

Derp, I guess Takao class's next

anyways +1

I don't know if I can even Takao. Oh well let's see for tomorrow.

2 posts
623 battles

got myoko (hull B) now and wow IT'S SO HORRIBLE! fire magnet, Large Citadel, slow turret turn, good AA but not BETTER AA (it's a blyad joke) and lastly blyad main cannon range my expectation fails me because the ship is not durable at all. that is why i stop playing my account for now due to the horrid stats not unless WG can gave it a buff (MAJOR BUFF) then i'll play back Wows.  

Edited by cgehunter

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Historical section is for discussing the real warships, not for discussing your issues with the game.

Stay on topic!

~dead_man_walking

Super Tester
1,677 posts

In regards to stats, the Myokos didn't exactly have fast turrets to begin with if we base in history. Hell, if we talk about gunnery, Haguro had to torpedo the light cruiser De Ruyter just to secure a kill and it took how many rounds blasting Exeter, which was already lightly damaged and limping away after a heroic sacrifice during the second brawl on the Java Sea.

As I am  quite the cruiser fan, I won't let you just diss the cruiser just because you hate her in the game as she's the influential treaty (sort of) cruisers out there that made a mark on how nations heavy cruiser in their navies.

14 posts

got myoko (hull B) now and wow IT'S SO HORRIBLE! fire magnet, Large Citadel, slow turret turn, good AA but not BETTER AA (it's a blyad joke) and lastly blyad main cannon range my expectation fails me because the ship is not durable at all. that is why i stop playing my account for now due to the horrid stats not unless WG can gave it a buff (MAJOR BUFF) then i'll play back Wows.  

Why ask for a major buff? Shes fine as she is, dont blame the ship for your lack of skill

Add the fact that shes one of the basis of the takao class, in which one of the best cruisers during the war, next to hipper and new orleans

13 posts
2,045 battles

Beautiful ships, easy on the eye. Yeah thin armour but as usual high speed. They could pick their engagements wisely. Awesome write up again

Felix