Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
j0e90

US DD Skills - Expert Marksman VS Torpedo Armament Expertise

14 comments in this topic

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,490 battles

Heya,

Just wondering if any US DD drivers are running Expert marksman over torpedo armament? I'm running Torpedo, because well DDs fire Torps, right?, but this was before I discovered how glorious the guns on mid tier US DDs are.. MInekaze nom nom nom nom I'm looking at you!

My thinking is US DDS excel at taking out IJN DDs, and in a knife fight that extra turret traverse trumps the drop in torp reload - play to your strengths and for US DDS that's the guns.

Anyone? Cheers

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Heya,

Just wondering if any US DD drivers are running Expert marksman over torpedo armament? I'm running Torpedo, because well DDs fire Torps, right?, but this was before I discovered how glorious the guns on mid tier US DDs are.. MInekaze nom nom nom nom I'm looking at you!

My thinking is US DDS excel at taking out IJN DDs, and in a knife fight that extra turret traverse trumps the drop in torp reload - play to your strengths and for US DDS that's the guns.

Anyone? Cheers

I prefer torps as the USN DD is already good on it guns accuraccy. 

Cheers.:honoring:

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

if you go for high tier then Torp skill maybe better since now you can play like IJN DD (Stealth and torp from long distance) with better gun of couse ...
but if you still ant the role of DD hunter then gun maybe not a bad choice ....

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Expert Marksmen on USN DDs is a waste, IMO. Their traverse speed is already decent, and gets even better at higher tiers.

I put Expert Marksmen on my IJN DDs instead (the slower the base speed, the bigger the relative improvement). For USN DDs I put the torp skill instead.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Expert Marksmen on USN DDs is a waste, IMO. Their traverse speed is already decent, and gets even better at higher tiers.

I put Expert Marksmen on my IJN DDs instead (the slower the base speed, the bigger the relative improvement). For USN DDs I put the torp skill instead.

+1

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Good point re buff whats weak...

Well, it depends. Sometimes it's better to buff your strengths e.g. Baltimore and Des Moines already has good AA but buffing it even more = much win. But in the case of USN DDs, the gain you get from buffing its traverse rate is so small that it's practically insignificant. Better to spend the point on something that will offer better gains instead.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

I would suggest that neither Expert Marksman or Torpedo Armament are especially useful for low tier (< Tier 6) US DD's. Improving gun traverse is a bit wasteful as they already can do this good enough to keep gun lock on enemy DD's. Improving rate of fire on torps can be useful depending on your style of play and how you use your torps. I personally like to use torps in hit and run attacks in which there is plenty of time for reload so for me at least this skill is wasted. I take Expert Marksman as it has a bit of use when you are changing between targets and trying to spread fire around.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

^This, but shame on he who doesn't get Basic & Advanced Firing Training.

47 posts
679 battles

Heya,

Anyone? Cheers

If you prefer torps. IJN Destroyers are better with higher speed torps but weaker guns.

US Destroyers have better guns with higher turret rotation rate and faster reload

But for lower tiers, I think US destroyers are better

Sign in to follow this