Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DepthCharger

Invisable DD annoyance

24 comments in this topic

12 posts
17 battles

I was trying to engage a tier 5 DD with my Cleveland, he was about 5-6 k directly in front and for half that time he was on fire yet my crew could not see him, he was firing non stop at me yet all I could do was fire at where his shells were coming from. When I'm in my Clemson, firing the guns seems to light my ship up like a Roman Candle even with smoke, and it takes a good while for them to lose you again as long as you keep the speed down and not fire anything. Yet this ship was blazing away, hitting me most of the time yet only 1 or 2 times did I get a brief look at him and never long enough to line him up.

What's the story with this? I thought firing your guns made your cover redundantfgfg.jpg?

fgfg.jpg

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

What graphics setting you are playing on? (specifically the "Effect Preset" option).

It's highly likely that the enemy DD used his smoke, but your game client didn't display it correctly. It happens to me all the time when I had my Effect Preset option set to Low to save some FPS.

Btw: Smoke blocks all Line of Sight, you can fire without being detected if you are covered by smoke cloud.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

I was trying to engage a tier 5 DD with my Cleveland, he was about 5-6 k directly in front and for half that time he was on fire yet my crew could not see him, he was firing non stop at me yet all I could do was fire at where his shells were coming from. When I'm in my Clemson, firing the guns seems to light my ship up like a Roman Candle even with smoke, and it takes a good while for them to lose you again as long as you keep the speed down and not fire anything. Yet this ship was blazing away, hitting me most of the time yet only 1 or 2 times did I get a brief look at him and never long enough to line him up.

What's the story with this? I thought firing your guns made your cover redundantfgfg.jpg?

What the DD concelment??? Then you will know it.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

What the DD concelment??? Then you will know it.

Firing the guns will drastically increase detectability range of the ship. Only a handful ships with commander skills and equipment are able to stealth firing but only at their extreme range of 11km+.

In this case, the enemy DD seem to be quite close so I ruled out that option.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Firing the guns will drastically increase detectability range of the ship. Only a handful ships with commander skills and equipment are able to stealth firing but only at their extreme range of 11km+.

In this case, the enemy DD seem to be quite close so I ruled out that option.

He said 5-6km i know some DD can remain undetected in 2-3km as well cause i met before already. So really need to know the DD concelement.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

The minimum distance of detection of a ship is around 3 km, after that, you will always

detect them except you are seperated by island

,believe me I ever did that in a middle of smoke

And the enemy ship was as surprised as me (you know what will happen if IJN cruiser broadside each other at that short range)

Edited by Harpoon01

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

The minimum distance of detection of a ship is around 3 km, after that, you will always

,believe me I ever did that in a middle of smoke

And the enemy ship was as surprised as me (you know what will happen if IJN cruiser broadside each other at that short range)

I did once in my Nicholas on the map of Solomon Islands then launched a salvo of torps and sunk a enemy IJN BB kongou.:honoring:

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

He said 5-6km i know some DD can remain undetected in 2-3km as well cause i met before already. So really need to know the DD concelement.

There's no DD with 2-3km detection range even with commander skill and equipment, especially if they are firing their guns like in OP's case above. Smoke will conceal the ship regardless of how big it is, and can only be spotted if enemy closes within 2km. There's no need to ask for enemy DD detection range in this case, it's pointless.

The only answer drawn from this is that DD used his smoke, but OP's graphics didn't display it correctly.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

There's no DD with 2-3km detection range even with commander skill and equipment, especially if they are firing their guns like in OP's case above. Smoke will conceal the ship regardless of how big it is, and can only be spotted if enemy closes within 2km. There's no need to ask for enemy DD detection range in this case, it's pointless.

The only answer drawn from this is that DD used his smoke, but OP's graphics didn't display it correctly.

Yesterday i play my Cleveland on the map of two brothers and i chase a tier 7 IJN DD Hasuharu from 1 point to the end corner of the map where there is a island and within 3-4km i see nothing just water but in the end around 2.3km i spotted that DD firing his torps and gun so please explain to me i would love to know BTW there 0 smoke.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Yesterday i play my Cleveland on the map of two brothers and i chase a tier 7 IJN DD Hasuharu from 1 point to the end corner of the map where there is a island and within 3-4km i see nothing just water but in the end around 2.3km i spotted that DD firing his torps and gun so please explain to me i would love to know BTW there 0 smoke.

I'd like a screenshot/replay of that happening then, I'd like to know about "that island" and your positions.

As you know, islands can block line of sight if your ship's ranger finder isn't tall enough to see through, and the enemy ship is small enough to be concealed by the island.

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/6830-wows-vision-mechanics-explained/

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

I'd like a screenshot/replay of that happening then, I'd like to know about "that island" and your positions.

As you know, islands can block line of sight if your ship's ranger finder isn't tall enough to see through, and the enemy ship is small enough to be concealed by the island.

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/6830-wows-vision-mechanics-explained/

Don't worry i will try take a screenshot if i met this kind of DD again also the island is at the far end not me and between with the enemy DD.

Super Tester
802 posts

3-4km is for aircraft, surface detectability will shift from 6-8km depending on the tier and nationality of the ship. To OP: yes firing the guns in a DD generally increases their detectability by ~4km however this can be overcome with smoke, camo, certain upgrades and commander skills as well as knowing the "safe" distance to fire your guns without being seen.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Nyak Nyak

Initial torpedo salvos, obviously not spotted.

CUEuvNH.jpg

Z0OR2Hh.jpg

Firing, not spotted, because cake you vision mechanics.

L4JrQlj.jpg

Below 2km, proximity spotting

KW2nejn.jpg

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Smoke quite danger in close range ... DD can be stealth even they firing the gun in smoke ... I do that some time too but that DD can lost sight of you too but not the same

when CA or BB firing in smoke, it will get spotted but when DD firing, it have less change to be spotted and lauch torp will not increase change of being spotted 

but few time i find that both not firing any gun.. and we almost ram into each before the ship got spotted ... so I think that they say 3km auto spot are still broken ...

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Smoke quite danger in close range ... DD can be stealth even they firing the gun in smoke ... I do that some time too but that DD can lost sight of you too but not the same

when CA or BB firing in smoke, it will get spotted but when DD firing, it have less change to be spotted and lauch torp will not increase change of being spotted 

but few time i find that both not firing any gun.. and we almost ram into each before the ship got spotted ... so I think that they say 3km auto spot are still broken ...

Nope, any ship firing when they are in smoke will remain undetected even if it's something as big as Yamato, unless your ship is not fully covered by smoke or someone has line of sight on you.

Launching torp has never have anything to do with getting spotted or not.

Proximity spotting range is 2km, not 3.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

That's why as an American DD player. I always drop smoke before engaging an enemy battleship. 

Depends on the tier though, tier III - V BB salvos are generally easy to dodge at above 7km,

so Wickes (9.2km firing range) and Clemson (8.6km) can easily perforate BBs and keep the smoke for emergency situations.

Against tier VI+ BBs 7km is not a safe zone anymore, but then again the Nicholas has 10.9km firing range and the Farragut 12.6km.

And that's without keeping in mind that your captain prolly hits the tier IV skill while in the Nicholas which gives another +20% to gun range

and makes good US DD players a bloody nightmare to fight.

Just think about it Nicholas, gets a whooping 13km firing range with that skill, Farragut 15(!)km.

Of course hitting targets at that range is not easy, however not only are BBs slow and cumbersome,

there are also only so many courses a ship can change to, so with the high firing rate of a US DD it's basically

impossible to avoid getting hit by the constant rain of small calibre HE shells.

Heck, that's my daily life in the Sims, start shooting at slow BBs and never stop shooting.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Just think about it Nicholas, gets a whooping 13km firing range with that skill, Farragut 15(!)km.

What would you choose actually...? 3% more fire Chance or 20% more range? 

Fire chance seems more important to me due to the pitiful DPS...

Then again, I Still don't like the USN DD as much as IJN DDs.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

What would you choose actually...? 3% more fire Chance or 20% more range? 

Fire chance seems more important to me due to the pitiful DPS...

The further I'm away from the enemy the easier it is to dodge their salvos.

For mid/high tier BBs you'd prolly want to stay above 9km, if you've determined that the opposing player is meh at hitting stuff then

you can always close in to improve the hitrate.

However, that's against a single BB, maybe two, if you're good maybe even three.

That changes though once you engage a CA.

Those you'd usually want as much range as possible against for the mere reason of their shells flying much faster

than regular BB shells.

Take the Farragut for example.

She gets 15km firing range.

Now compare that to the Cleveland's 14.6km.

The Cleveland is an interesting special case, because the +20% firing range skill would also work for her,

putting her up to 17.5km firing range.

However anyone who's ever played the Cleveland knows perfectly well how hard it is to hit a DD that's executing evasive maneuvers at ranges above 10km,

and that's despite the Cleveland's reload speed.

Of course the DD won't have much time to return fire, but it's still a stalemate unless either one fails at maneuvering/aiming.

Additionally the Cleveland's the last US cruiser that can utilise the +20% range skill, so either you leave the captain on her, or you move on to the

Pensacola, either changing the skill or never using it to begin with.

Although you might aswell keep the skill since it raises the AA range and there isn't anything else that's particularly interesting on that tier.

Aside from that with a bit of experience and good old luck you can easily score an extra hit or two on an enemy DD even at long range,

which is particularly useful when trying to intercept DDs going for a CV/BB.

Random firing patterns ftw while filling the sky with shells.

All in all I don't give a bacon about the 3% chance to set ships on fire, with the amount of shells in the air a fire is going to break out sooner or later anyway,

and the direct shell damage is actually pretty good once you've trained yourself in aiming for some time.

Well, it works for the Sims at any rate~

dLT2TY8.jpg

fygBmeD.jpg

1IsZESY.jpg

A615HUr.jpg

73QEaUk.jpg

jOlxaVx.jpg

ZT3vZMk.jpg

WvLoW1p.jpg

HHCEK4e.jpg

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Heh, I always though ~1000XP Base was bad for USN DD, guess I was doing pretty okay after all :trollface:

But then again, going for 1300+ is still easier in a IJN DD~

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Nope, any ship firing when they are in smoke will remain undetected even if it's something as big as Yamato, unless your ship is not fully covered by smoke or someone has line of sight on you.

Launching torp has never have anything to do with getting spotted or not.

Proximity spotting range is 2km, not 3.

2km? hmmm but few time it spot lower than that .. once I in my DD laying smoke and can't spot the furutaka until he is like in 1 ship range away from me and almost collide ... heck! i can't even use my torp because when he spotted it already too close for torp range ... LOL

47 posts
679 battles

I think I also had this experience.

On the map, they shows all the enemy position but my ship wouldnt detect it.

It was like 3 km. away.

=*= Forgot to take screenshots

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Heh, I always though ~1000XP Base was bad for USN DD, guess I was doing pretty okay after all

Good or bad is for you to decide, for me it's within the average, neither bad nor good.

Sign in to follow this