You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AntifoulAwl

First sub to sink a ship.

12 comments in this topic

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
1,701 posts
7,273 battles

The H L Hunley was launched in July 1863, for the Confederate States of America during their Civil War. She sank twice during sea trials, killing a total of 13 crew members, including her designer. She was successfully salvaged and put into active service.

She attacked the Union ship Housatonic in Feb 1864, sinking again, once more killing all her own crew. Surely a bad ship to serve on.

But this is the part I love about her~ She was powered by a ​hand cranked propeller!  She had a crew of 8, seven of which provided the muscle to turn the prop and one man to steer her. She was 12 metres in length and 1.2 metres in height. Cramped conditions indeed. Interior light was provided by candles!!  All water ballast pumps were hand operated. There was no air supply, only what the hull contained.

tAvXa0P.jpg

Her weapon consisted of 41 kilos of black powder encased in a barbed tube, placed on the end of a  6.7 metre pole which protruded from her bow. The plan was to gain enough speed to ram the enemy ship, burying the 'torpedo' within the enemie's hull. Then a detonator was activated by a pull cord, hopefully wrecking enemy ship. Unbelievably, she sunk the Housatonic (1260 t), sending both the target ship and herself to the bottom. The Hunley was less than 20 feet away when the bomb exploded. Too close for comfort...It would have killed all her own crew.

The Hunley's wreck was found in 1995. She was raised in the year 2000, spending 136 years submerged. Her crew were still at their posts albeit being skeletons.

9ZCbWpX.jpg     PKjP7we.jpg                                

Hunley today.

Don't forget, at the time this was cutting edge technology. I take my hat off to the brave sailors who maned her. It would have been terrifying.

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

That's in pretty good shape for a submarine that sink thrice, rammed a boat with a bomb strapped to it, and then proceeded to spend 136 years on the sea floor.

It's things like this that make me wonder why we don't bring up more sunken boats, they are surviving fragments of history, to have them rust away into oblivion just seems like a waste.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,291 battles

So.... she's a TOG?

Yeah... They call the first submarines U-TOG. 

U-TOGs were designed to cross underwater obstacles and sink enemy warships using 20-pounder guns. 

#BetheBoat i mean... #BetheTOG

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
1,701 posts
7,273 battles

That's in pretty good shape for a submarine that sink thrice, rammed a boat with a bomb strapped to it, and then proceeded to spend 136 years on the sea floor.

It's things like this that make me wonder why we don't bring up more sunken boats, they are surviving fragments of history, to have them rust away into oblivion just seems like a waste.

The sub was covered in silt, helping to preserve it. It costs a fortune to recover sunken relics like this. Once they are bought to the surface they have to be preserved to prevent deterioration caused by contact with the air, this also is expensive. 

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Many are war graves as well and protected (well at least by law) from interference.

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Many are war graves as well and protected (well at least by law) from interference.

HMS Prince of Wales,HMS Repulse, IJN Kuma & Haguro says something else to differ. Protected war graves yet people STILL tried to salvage them.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

HMS Prince of Wales,HMS Repulse, IJN Kuma & Haguro says something else to differ. Protected war graves yet people STILL tried to salvage them.

As I said "well at least by law" - I can guarantee that if any serving/ex-serving member caught hold of those responsible for the desecration of those graves/sites it wouldn't be pretty (and wouldn't make the news).....

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Many war graves you can't even dive on anymore.

I once saw a picture of a submarine washed up on a beach in the caribean, I can't remember if it's a civil war or a Japanese midget sub, but I always think wtf, how did it get there?.