You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Bayern class battleship

14 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I'm not really that super fond of dreads but the these things caught my eye.

I PRESENT TO YOU GLORIOUS KRUPPSTAHL I mean THE BAYERN BATTLESHIPS!

28wfblx.jpg

This is one uber protected Imperial German dread, or to be more technical, superdread as it was the last class of dread the Germans had ever made in their run after the whole war and the lolwatwtf that was Jutland had them run (I think someone here had mentioned the Brits technically won the brawl despite being whacked hard themselves but the Germans strategically won as most of their cap ships still survived. lolwut) in order to not have their High Seas fleet accidentally themselves. The lead ship Bayern's namesake is from how the Germans called the land of Bavaria that ran as a kingdom and now is technically one of the federal areas of Germany and to be honest, its better that way since "Bavaria-class battleship" sounds way off or had the Germans grabbed weirder names like a certain small town in Austria called Fucking (and no, you don't pronounce it in the english way, it rhymes with 'booking' so just... don't).

That aside, let's kick off.

2qntsmq.jpg

There were actually four of the damn things; the lead ship Bayern, Baden, Sachsen and Wurttemburg BUTT... the remaining two, Sachsen and Wurttemburg sadly didn't make it out of the drydock as they were cancelled... floated sure, but commissioned? Never.

They were rather big for dreads and 21 knots is quite fast... for a dread. Well what do you expect? She ain't a flippin' battlecruiser or the Queen Elizabeth that will laugh at you with an annoying laugh as she outruns you with her 24 knot speed. The armor on the thing is solid as they went with belt armor protecting against 14 inch shells, the freakin' conning tower is thicker than most at 16 inches and the deck is thick at 4 inches... what the hell? Of all the areas thickly armored the conning tower is where that armor's thickest? Oh right... probably they remembered how Leberecht Maass greeted a shell during the brawl at Heligoland Bight when a squadron of British battlecruisers had a nice little chat with the German cruisers that went into an all out brawl. She had a main battery of eight 15 inch guns in four dual mount turrets, some secondary 6 inch guns, a pair of 8.8cm pop shooter AA guns and tubes. Yes, the Bayerns had torp tubes. HAD. DEAL WITH IT. It was eventually found out this was ridiculous as hell so they removed the things, good riddance.

The guns are quite unique to German capital ships as they are the only ones that packed 15 inch guns in dual mount turrets as the battleship had the AB-XY configuration. Aaaand about the guns... well... the max range of the guns as they elevated to about 20 degrees was about 23.4 km as the planners had expected the seas of the north to be a slugging fest but originally, it had elevated to about 16 degrees that matched it with a max range of 20.4 km due to said anticipation. the guns that were built for the cancelled two sister ships were used as rail guns by the German Army because when when Big Bertha's raw, balls out firepower couldn't reach it, you call in the Langer Max because the thing can provided if you use it as an emplacement as it being a rail gun severely limited its range. The gun tested by the British postwar had it load at 23 seconds which is fairly faster than the Queen Liz's 15 inch guns at the time which lugged at 36 seconds. Now this was fast but don't get too happy as the accuracy went derp. Famed German accuracy? On the Bayern's guns? you so funny. lolnope.

10s81z7.jpgEven the Baden looks delishus.

Well, their service run was very wonky as it started with the formation from the survivors from the Jutland brawl which the Brits failed to blast their capital ships to High Heaven were regrouping to sortie and wanting another naval brawl. Bayern was bunched up with two old timers, the Konig classes Grosser Kurfurst and Markgraf and Baden was Admiral Hipper's flagship and its not surprising the lead ship was to be the first to unload her guns in anger... although that didn't happen since Admiral Scheer is very wary about the timings of the brawl since he suspected the Brits knew, and they did, about their mobilization and he feared another Jutland 2.0.

And came Operation Albion where the lead ship again was assigned to shore bombardment duty where she witnessed a small bit of the Russian Baltic Fleet burning so hard  that she didn't notice the mine which dealt a good chunk of damage on her that she had to run back to Kiel for repairs. Oopsie. There was another run that had both Bayern and Baden participate where the top brass hoped that by commerce raiding hard, they hoped that a screen of capital ships from the British Fleet would start participating and hopefully tear a chunk off it. Sadly, whoever the morons were that went derp not only left the hunter-killers high and dry had also made the crews even more wearier as they expected something for a whole lot and it wasn't there.

b1643375.jpg

I think that was the last straw as the Wilhelmshaven mutiny happened with the whole "stahp dis war we are sick and tired of yo bull!" and as they were interned at Scapa Flow along with their surviving colleagues (note that the meeting of the Treaty of Paris was just about done at the end) that the German Admiralty decided to give them a proper viking burial by letting them go under. Better sink with honor than to be a mockery from the victors.

In-game wise, I'm expecting her to be the last dread Germany has at tier 6 since I'm very confident the Scharnhorst is tier 7. Her stock 1916 will probably have her 20km range and solid armor and her 1919 where she went down with will be a mid-hull and the notion that her range increases to 23km and if that isn't enough, the plans for the L20 alpha can be amended on her since, ain't the L20 basically a souped up Bayern?

Despite her awesome guns, she's likely going to have a rather wide shot dispersion unless the RUdevs and docos say otherwise. I don't think she's going to be terribad at stock but she may have some limits that restrain you hard.

That is all.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Tier 6 anyone?

That feeling you get when the Queen Elizabeth will probably outrange the Bayern when she's retrofitted for WWII.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
390 posts
3,801 battles

Would be a nice read without all that extra internet slang/junk thrown in for the (correct me if I'm wrong here) "LULZ"

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Would be a nice read without all that extra internet slang/junk thrown in for the (correct me if I'm wrong here) "LULZ"

well I can always edit it Chappo :)

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

A very strong Dreadnought, but judging from the technology and her combat capability, should we put her on tier 5 or tier 6 premium?

Super Tester
1,677 posts

A very strong Dreadnought, but judging from the technology and her combat capability, should we put her on tier 5 or tier 6 premium?

The Warspite will literally swamp Bayern as a premium however and this is taking into account that the Queen Liz is in her 1941(?) retrofit. It is still unsure if she DID have design studies for a future retrofit much like Amagi battlecruiser that was already planned for a retrofit once she was completed. The only foreseeable danger the Bayern would have is that she can NOT go on slugging matches with anything above her as the WWII grade battleships can easily blast her and its unlikely she will retain her 23km range in-game to balance her shot dispersion. She'll be Colorado big, I reckon.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Obviously the real question is why anyone would ever want to play a Battleship-class with just a terrible name. :coin:

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I'm guessing if the Devs do think of a WW2 refit for her to play at tier 6, its AA will still be abysmal, mind you, I've noticed a distinct lack of CV's in game recently

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I'm guessing if the Devs do think of a WW2 refit for her to play at tier 6, its will still be abysmal, mind you, I've noticed a distinct lack of CV's in game recently

The L20 Alpha can probably pass up as a retrofit to Bayern though.

5 posts
569 battles

Odd that noone is comparing the Bayern to its actual counterpart, the Revenge class 15" armed super Dreadnaughts. Closer in speed than the Queen Elizabeths and also not heavily modified between the wars. For those that care, the reason the Brits were credited with winning the battle of Jutland is that, despite their losses the Grand Fleet was ready to put to sea in a matter of days and the High Seas Fleet never attempted to challenge it again. Once bitten, twice shy applies quite nicely for those history buffs that know the story.