You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
coldbeer72

Concealment OP?

25 comments in this topic

112 posts
1,431 battles

Just had a match where I was coming round the side of one of the islands, and got snipped by a torp spread from a Gremy(or what ever its called). Saw the torps, but they were to close to avoid, but no sign of the ship......till he suddenly just appeared about 2-3km in front of me well clear of the island.

Now I was not quite dead, so managed to fire off a couple at this sneaky little bugger, but when I zoomed in to try and "hit him where it counts" so to speak, the bastard up and disappears right in front of me......no smoke...no nothin....one second he was there, next he was not....and then he was back again. And this is at a range of like 2Km(and before you ask, there was no lag spike or FPS loss at the time.Steady as she goes at 34FPS and ping of 116ms)

Is this some sort of super stealth/visually reflective, russian cloaking device or what?

I know concealment plays a part.....but at 2Km range........seriously!

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Just had a match where I was coming round the side of one of the islands, and got snipped by a torp spread from a Gremy(or what ever its called). Saw the torps, but they were to close to avoid, but no sign of the ship......till he suddenly just appeared about 2-3km in front of me well clear of the island.

Now I was not quite dead, so managed to fire off a couple at this sneaky little bugger, but when I zoomed in to try and "hit him where it counts" so to speak, the bastard up and disappears right in front of me......no smoke...no nothin....one second he was there, next he was not....and then he was back again. And this is at a range of like 2Km(and before you ask, there was no lag spike or FPS loss at the time.Steady as she goes at 34FPS and ping of 116ms)

Is this some sort of super stealth/visually reflective, russian cloaking device or what?

I know concealment plays a part.....but at 2Km range........seriously!

You mean the Soviet Navy Premium Destroyer....

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

you said  the DD is hiding behind an island, there's probably a smoke screen laid down there. you see you will still detect torpedo even they are inside the smoke screen for balancing purpose but you will not detect a ship until they are inside your ship absolute detection zone with a radius of 2km, so yeah maybe its a smoke screen after all that has faded few secs when you discover that DD.

Edited by yansuki

695 posts
2,153 battles

Yep need replay to know for sure but sounds like he had a smoke screen up but your graphics settings / view didn't show it.

Alpha Tester
392 posts

Japanese & American DDs have also disappeared less than 3 km from me. No smokescreen, no nearby island and in clear daylight. I know they didn't use smokescreen because my sniper view didn't get foggy, and there's no graphics settings to completely disable such an effect. Then miraculously come the torpedoes, but the DD is still invisible.

Edited by Nikolaevna

1,126 posts

there IS smoke screen, but game system is little buggy, because if you inside a smoke area, you don't see a smoke, just DD come and gone like ghost.

in smoke, DD can hide even in just 3 km.

but without smoke, it's Impossible , lowest concealment i know today is 6 km.

either something block your LOS or your just over exaggerating.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,526 battles

Don't you know, Stalin ship uses Stygium particle cloaking device used on TIE Phantoms. They're WAY more advanced than the Klingon cloaking device used by the IJN

6mZUxks.jpg

I get this...

It made me happy that I did...

Dam now I feel old...

[LLBC]
Super Tester
750 posts
3,314 battles

but without smoke, it's Impossible , lowest concealment i know today is 6 km.

The title of 'Stealthiest little Ninja in the Navy' goes to the Umikaze with a detection range of just 4.9km when running Type 1 camo & Concealment Expert skill (5.6km stock)

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,526 battles

The title of 'Stealthiest little Ninja in the Navy' goes to the Umikaze with a detection range of just 4.9km when running Type 1 camo & Concealment Expert skill (5.6km stock)

I've never done the numbers - - - Oh dear gawwwwwd, just think about how easy it would be to sink a Kawachii without being seen!!! And that torp reload time... (24s)

I haven't played mine in a while, think it'll get a workout this weekend... (Need to get that Captain his concealment skill!!!)

[S_O_D]
Beta Tester
11 posts
5,845 battles

What about a DD firing his guns at 2k in smoke being invisible? Happened to me vs a Kagero. All I saw of him was the shells, until he backed out of the smoke at 2,2k!

Beta Tester
60 posts
7,250 battles

not sure if anyone else has this, but i find it hard to tell if i'm inside a smoke screen except for the loss of vision on other ships.  Is there a graphics option to make smokescreens more noticeable in game?

1,126 posts

ah.... yes, I totally forgot tier 1 DD, sorry

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

not sure if anyone else has this, but i find it hard to tell if i'm inside a smoke screen except for the loss of vision on other ships.  Is there a graphics option to make smokescreens more noticeable in game?

That is a problem we have been stressing to the dev to change. There is no visible border telling you where the smoke screen is. Yeah you can see it from afar, but once you get close it all starts to blur up and you can't tell where is the smoke.

Hell.... the current smoke in game isn't even smoke, its like the Sumatra haze. Cordite smoke is thick and black, not light grey hazy lol.

Edited by Windforce

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Hell.... the current smoke in game isn't even smoke, its like the Sumatra haze. Cordite smoke is thick and black, not light grey hazy lol.

Cordite is more of an orange colour, it smells and tastes like crap, it gets into everything on a ship.

The smoke we are seeing should be coming from the stacks, nice thick and black, not the puffy fluffy white haze we currently have.

There was a graphic setting you could disable to make the smoke more visible, but not if front of the PC arm, so I could not tell you what it is.