You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HeavyResistance

Furutaka x Omaha

25 comments in this topic

13 posts
615 battles

If you came here for lewd stuff, I'm sad to say this isn't one of those posts *topkek* :)

This is basically a basic comparison of basics between the basics, the Furutaka (a Tier V IJN Heavy Cruiser), and the Omaha (a Tier V USN Scout Cruiser).

Take note that we assume that the players are of equal skill.

So, we first read their stats on paper. In my pastime, I usually fondle with stats and numbers. I will use top configs.

According to the stats, Furutaka is better than Omaha. Why is that?

Furutaka has better artillery (57>39), better aircraft (2>1), better torpedoes (19>14), and better survivability (39>34).

The Omaha only has an edge over its IJN counterpart in terms of AA (24>13), and maneuverability (75>73), albeit there's only little difference.

According to these stats, the Furutaka actually dominates the Omaha in terms of Combat Capability.

But, where is Concealment?

I didn't put in the Concealment stats. Why? Because, it doesn't matter. Well, Pre-nerf Ninjakaze exploited that, but if I remember well, Syanda said that concealment doesn't matter because when you're seen, it boils down to how tough and girly (since ships are girls) your ships are.

As I said, this is just a basic comparison. The Omaha can out maneuver the Furutaka and provide more air cover, but the Furutaka, when loaded with AP and fired straight at Omaha's citadel, will cause painful damage. Whereas the Omaha, with her low alpha citadel damage on AP, will mostly do its job, albeit not as good as the Furutaka. However, Omaha shines with her Rate of Fire. Quick firing guns tend to spread fire all over your juicy superstructure. But then, if you get hit in the citadel by a Furutaka, well, she got the upper hand.

So, what did we learn?

Nothing!

Nah, we actually learned that Furutaka is much combat-oriented than the Omaha, and that the Omaha relies on adrenaline rushes. Furutaka is good when used well. On the other hand, Omaha can also turn the tide of battle when used well. The ships have their own personalities. One is slightly more armored and hard-hitting albeit slow, one is fast-hitting but slightly fragile.

With that said, always take note, that it is the player that controls the ship, and as forumers said, it really boils down to whoever's driving the ship behind the monitor. One may not see the beauty of Omaha, and one might not see the beauty of Furutaka. But always remember this, that if you really want to get to know your ship, you'll try to make her strengths shine to the fullest, and her weaknesses gone. Even if her beauty is not yet there as you play her as stock, get to know your ship. Battle with her. Have patience and time and understanding. From there, improve, and improve, until you don't see her weaknesses anymore.

Now, that is love.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Such is love, such is life.

+1 for a good review that recognises that both ships have their own merits will triumph over the other in different circumstances.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Omaha is like and HMG .. Fire everything! spam it! ... it more easy to play from RoF and decent torp ... good manuver ability

but furutaka is like Rifle ... harder to play but it can do better if you play it right ... but I still prefer Omaha :trollface:

Super Tester
1,677 posts

one thing I kept with the flippin Furutaka for a while is that making the guns on the Furutaka blast straight doesn't matter but making the turret load at the cost of aiming is the highest prio.

the Omaha can stand in as a DD killer since I think it can chase down DD's as well but the Furutaka is keeping up with the main wave as an anti-ship screen although in this retrospect, I absolutely have no idea how effective it will be in responding against DD's.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Omaha is like and HMG .. Fire everything! spam it! ... it more easy to play from RoF and decent torp ... good manuver ability

but furutaka is like Rifle ... harder to play but it can do better if you play it right ... but I still prefer Omaha :trollface:

One thing i do with Omaha is AP the IJN CL/CA Tenryu, Kuma, Furutaka, Aoba then HE spam on BB Kawachi, Myogi, Kongo and Fuso also if can i just BBQ IJN CV only by the way i also use AP on US CL Phoenix, Omaha then HE Spam on the US BB South Carlolina, Wyoming, New york and New Mexixo. But one thing i must admit Omaha do had a positive on AA. :izmena:

13 posts
615 battles

I absolutely have no idea how effective it will be in responding against DD's.

Control your guns, always keep one or two turrets ready for close quarters. AP won't overpen the DD... Maybe.

If you think there's a DD in your vicinity, load HE :v That's a general rule. But yeah, I do agree Furutaka isn't exactly the most accurate cruiser out there.

Edited by HeavyResistance

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

+1 for you first.

I still prefer the Furutaka. It's 203 mm guns are more reliable when fighting against battleships. Especially weakly armoured battleships like Kongo and Myogi. 

Omaha is better than Furutaka in term of destroyer hunting. Her quick firing 152 mm guns are true pain in the ass for DD.

295 posts
501 battles

AA in low-mid tier is a joke, even a stock cleveland with AA ability on.

you can't kill a single plane up in the sky even they circle on you for 30 seconds.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Control your guns, always keep one or two turrets ready for close quarters. AP won't overpen the DD... Maybe.

If you think there's a DD in your vicinity, load HE :v That's a general rule. But yeah, I do agree Furutaka isn't exactly the most accurate cruiser out there.

to be fair on that, Furutaka was meant to blast other cruisers and getting the hell out of dodge... well, at least in her 1941 retrofit that makes her similar to Aoba in terms of gun layout (AB-X turret dual mount) and potentially improved armor thickness, the very same one she brought with when she went under at Cape Esperance, makes her into a 'proper' heavy cruiser as she is right now in her 1938(?) fit makes her more like a 'strike' cruiser.

even now despite her additional stuffing I still am very scared of destroyers, no joke. her 15 second reload will literally betray her if you get too deep or are forced to be in deep within the salvofest and suddenly a torpedo fan greets you. one particular skill that may very well be marginal at best that I packed on the commander is the torpedo acquisition skill because I need all the torpedo alarms I can get when I bunch up with the cruiser screens.

Omaha however, can easily maneuver so she don't need that shizz from her keptin. I am grateful for her now-impressive AA suite at her tier though as she can perform screens to a limited capacity.

13 posts
615 battles

even now despite her additional stuffing I still am very scared of destroyers, no joke. her 15 second reload will literally betray her if you get too deep or are forced to be in deep within the salvofest and suddenly a torpedo fan greets you. one particular skill that may very well be marginal at best that I packed on the commander is the torpedo acquisition skill because I need all the torpedo alarms I can get when I bunch up with the cruiser screens.

This my friend, is why you need to stay in your calm. You need to aim at those yummy citadels. :popcorn:

I got baited by the title of "Furutaka x Omaha" possible action.

Furutaka X Omaha action coming soon. :hiding:

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

One glaring plus for Omaha...other than the ones you mentioned, is the range it can fire at compare to furutaka. A Omaha with the 3rd hull + 20% range from captain skill, it can shoot 17.83km....vs 13km for furutaka. Mein gawd, it fires even further than a +20% range Cleveland...which Max out at 17.63km. Don't forget Omahas shell flies at a flatter trajectory, it is a monster now.

13 posts
615 battles

AA in low-mid tier is a joke, even a stock cleveland with AA ability on.

you can't kill a single plane up in the sky even they circle on you for 30 seconds.

The words "Cleveland with AA ability on" and "can't kill a single plane" are incompatible with each other.
Edited by HeavyResistance

423 posts
3,175 battles

I got baited by the title of "Furutaka x Omaha" possible action.

Well, me too. Just thought they're going for a quiet lovely night in an Okinawan seaview hotel, having a very popular American-Japanese business, and the next months both lose their monthly business because the announcement of Wargaming for a new creation...

Am I a sinner for thinking like that... :(

Edited by jchen8792

13 posts
615 battles

One glaring plus for Omaha...other than the ones you mentioned, is the range it can fire at compare to furutaka. A Omaha with the 3rd hull + 20% range from captain skill, it can shoot 17.83km....vs 13km for furutaka. Mein gawd, it fires even further than a +20% range Cleveland...which Max out at 17.63km. Don't forget Omahas shell flies at a flatter trajectory, it is a monster now.

Ah yes, the range of Omaha is fantastic, but once Furutaka hides around the big islands, that range is rendered useless. IMO range is dependent on map. Sometimes you have more range but your shots just keep hitting the islands.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

TBH haven't tried the Furutaka since having gone to the Aoba, but I'd prefer Omaha as being able to HE/AP spam a Furutaka is satisfying. Also take note that while the Omaha does have a big citadel, so does the Furutaka, and the Omaha can quite easily pen the Furutakas citadel with AP after setting it on fire from bow to stern with HE with its dpm

[151ST]
1,012 posts
4,505 battles

Range difference:
300m = nothing.

Damage difference:
Furu: 3300/4700
Oma: 2200/3100

Omaha has something like twice the Rate of Fire that the Furu has, and about 50% better turret turn speed. Furu has 10km torps.

Rate of Fire is far more important in this simple 1v1 than anything as the Omaha is quite agile.

Furutaka has had some nice improvements in 0.4.1, however

Omaha wins.

Alpha Tester
44 posts
3,372 battles

I guess for me the test is would you keep it once youve researched/bought the Aoba/Cleveland? -Omaha yup, Furutaka not so much

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Rate of fire is good.

And if I can't hit my target, what does it matter?

You're missing the point of HeavyResistance's original post here, I feel: that each ship has its own merits. A Furutaka has guns that frighten even battlecruisers and battleships of similar tier. Some players prefer that; to have that hitting power when it counts over rate of fire.

13 posts
615 battles

You're missing the point of HeavyResistance's original post here, I feel: that each ship has its own merits. A Furutaka has guns that frighten even battlecruisers and battleships of similar tier. Some players prefer that; to have that hitting power when it counts over rate of fire.

Amen. Praise Haku and RNGeesus.

13 posts
615 battles

Furutaka, could penetrate up to Myogi armor, could easily citadel Omaha with max damage per citadel hit

Not to mention that if you're lucky, you could penetrate Wyoming/New York's citadel, if you're indeed lucky enough.