Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bulwyf

BB underwater torpedo tubes

12 comments in this topic

45 posts
1,228 battles

Many Battleships had underwater torpedo tubes which fired along fixed lines with some ability to aim via gyro setting similar to a sub. Will these be implemented with the British line?

Some examples:

Lion class

Orion class

New Zealand

Australia

Queen Mary and Tiger

King George class

Iron Duke class

Queen Elizabeth class

Royal Sovereign class

Erin

Agincourt

Canada

Renown

Courageous and Furious (not sure on Glorius)

Nelson and Rodney

Hood

Looking at US and Japanese ships, these are some of those which had torps:

Kongo class

Ise class

Colorado class

Nagato and Mutsu

Kaga class

Many more US BBs had torps too, though the late war ones didn't.

This is not comprehensive and Italian, French, German and Russian BBs (the Russians via the Royal Sovereign which was loaned to them after WWII) had them too.

Edited by Bulwyf

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Bismark never had torpedo tubes, only Tirpitz was fitted. As to the underwater bow mounted tubes, it would be highly unlikely.

Either the ship has to turn into the enemy to fire or at least bring their bow around to an angle to fire. There would be no firing arc, just point and shoot.

45 posts
1,228 battles

My impression is that these were mounted on the sides of the ship not the bows. They were a little more than point and shoot as they could be made to run to either side with gyros. Ill check on the location. We have several ships in game which should have them already ie Kongo. I don't think they would be hard to implement at all. Same as any torpedo armed ship just more limited in arc.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

My impression is that these were mounted on the sides of the ship not the bows. They were a little more than point and shoot as they could be made to run to either side with gyros. Ill check on the location. We have several ships in game which should have them already ie Kongo. I don't think they would be hard to implement at all. Same as any torpedo armed ship just more limited in arc.

Nah, the problem is, we will add another Magazine storage to the ship

And the torpedoes themselves will hard to use due to limited arc and range (this come from a Tirpitz Tester)

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Nah, the problem is, we will add another Magazine storage to the ship

And the torpedoes themselves will hard to use due to limited arc and range (this come from a Tirpitz Tester)

Not against charging destroyers (which I assume is the main reason why he wants it: a last-ditch defence against them).

You do realise that if this were implemented, there'd be utterly no arc with regards to the torpedo tubes, right? You'd need to move your entire hull to aim properly.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I did research a bit about torpedo development especially incorporating the gyro into the torpedo before the WW1. They did incorporate it but not familiar how it travel after launched from fixed torpedo tubes, including the battle preparation & performance. So we don't have to turn the whole bloody ship just to fire straight to the enemy's predicted path.

50 posts
59 battles

I did research a bit about torpedo development especially incorporating the gyro into the torpedo before the WW1. They did incorporate it but not familiar how it travel after launched from fixed torpedo tubes, including the battle preparation & performance. So we don't have to turn the whole bloody ship just to fire straight to the enemy's predicted path.

The whole ship still has to turn regardless.

Sign in to follow this