Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Spawny_

USN DDs....is it worth playing now?

23 comments in this topic

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

As per title, I'm kinda curious about the buffed USN DDs...is it worth playing now? 

Has the 4.1 patch been kind go them? 

Appreciate answers from those with experience playing them in 4.1. 

Thanks.

Note : I've already researched the tier 4 Clemson. Hated wickes.

Edited by Spawnster

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Yes they are worth playing despite being underpowered. You have a really steep learning curve but after that you should be 100 time better than most IJN captains because of the amount of skills that you have to learn. Just learn to do multiple Johnston run in a row and you should be good to go.

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

play like what Taffy 3 did :great:

though, there's a 80% to 90% that you won't survive and end up sinking :D

in short, USN DD's are fun to play and definitely worth playing, not to mention that I hate facing off against a good USN DD captain, god those guns are killing me :ohmy:

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

As per title, I'm kinda curious about the buffed USN DDs...is it worth playing now? 

Has the 4.1 patch been kind go them? 

Appreciate answers from those with experience playing them in 4.1. 

Thanks.

Note : I've already researched the tier 4 Clemson. Hated wickes.

Wickes was a bit of a grind, but once you fully upgrade the Clemson with the top guns, you get a 6 gun broadside (all turrets become duel barrel) plus the 12 torpedo tubes with 5.5km range (not bad for tier 4) its a nice ship. Tier 5 Nicholas was also excellent, both are keepers

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

despite being underpowered. 

... According to a noob.

USN DD are not underpowered at all. Clemson is a beast at it's tier. Nicholas performs exceptionally well. Farragut is decent. Mahan is a bit of disappointment but from the Benson... Things are great! Only a noob who doesn't know how to play would say US DD are underpowered.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

It all depends by what you mean by the term 'worth'.

Your'e already sitting in front of a computer, missing out on real life, so playing US DDs isn't going to add more to your life experiences. 

Playing US DDs wont help with your job or your mortgage payments. Nor will it help you with the romance side of life.

One day when your grandkids ask you what you did in your life, will you tell them 'I played US DDs' ?

~playing US DDs (or any class of ship) won't make one iota of difference to your life.

You may get pleasure from the way they can hunt down IJN DDs, this in itself may be good enough reward.

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

... According to a noob.

USN DD are not underpowered at all. Clemson is a beast at it's tier. Nicholas performs exceptionally well. Farragut is decent. Mahan is a bit of disappointment but from the Benson... Things are great! Only a noob who doesn't know how to play would say US DD are underpowered.

According to statistics that has been posted in this forum many times,

US DD is definitely underpowered before 0.4.1

but after 0.4.1, US DD got quite a great buff

even better maneuverability, faster reloading and turning guns, much better AA, better concealment, and for some of them, longer torpedo range

is US DD still underpowered? This is the question

423 posts
3,175 battles

It all depends by what you mean by the term 'worth'.

Your'e already sitting in front of a computer, missing out on real life, so playing US DDs isn't going to add more to your life experiences. 

Playing US DDs wont help with your job or your mortgage payments. Nor will it help you with the romance side of life.

One day when your grandkids ask you what you did in your life, will you tell them 'I played US DDs' ?

~playing US DDs (or any class of ship) won't make one iota of difference to your life.

You may get pleasure from the way they can hunt down IJN DDs, this in itself may be good enough reward.

I died laughin at what you said...

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

According to statistics that has been posted in this forum many times,

US DD is definitely underpowered before 0.4.1

According to statistic that has been posted in this forum many times by one person

I played US DD too, before 0.4.1 of course. And they are not underpowered at all... Son... They are fantastic. If you know how to use them. 

Don't call a ship underpowered just because you do not know how to use it properly. Many people here agree with me.

423 posts
3,175 battles

Well, it is of course never underpower at all but thanks to all the noobies, it was given a buff.

So well, I don't think we should give anything to say that it was not underpower. Let the whiner whinning, and we get the buff, they would also get the buff. Win-win!

Edited by jchen8792

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Well, it is of course never underpower at all but thanks to all the noobies, it was given a buff.

Yeah... Thanks to them. Now it works even better than it used to.

But there will be noobs who keep saying "US DD UP"!!!

Edited by NguyenArchitakuVN

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

So well, I don't think we should give anything to say that it was not underpower. Let the whiner whinning, and we get the buff, they would also get the buff. Win-win!

Shhhhh, don't say that out loud!

Do you know how many tanks (and ships) were buffed due to players being useless?

Do you want WG to revert those changes?

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

It's Alright now. Still not "Amazing" yet but decent enough to use.

Rudder shift time Buff allow it to better dodge fire from incoming fire better to ~8-9km.

It's fun to screw around and when you spot a IJN DD it's Party time.

Still would love to see an Arc Rework/Velocity Buff.....
Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

... According to a noob.

Yeah, i'm struggling in Farragut right now. Clemson and Nicholas are both great but in that tier they face against cruisers that you could still deal damage to. From Tier 6 onward you need to play more carefully.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

play like what Taffy 3 did :great:

Shh you'll give away my playstyle.

I wish my enemies was fighting without sleeping for like 2 days like the Japanese Force did:(

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I wish my enemies was fighting without sleeping for like 2 days like the Japanese Force did:(

Well the IJN faced the USN with the same lack of lack of sleep situation at Savo Island so yeah...

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

According to statistic that has been posted in this forum many times by one person

I played US DD too, before 0.4.1 of course. And they are not underpowered at all... Son... They are fantastic. If you know how to use them. 

Don't call a ship underpowered just because you do not know how to use it properly. Many people here agree with me.

hey man, I'm not the only person who post the statistic

There were several threads about that statistics created by someone else

I claim that US DD is UP not because I don't now how to use it properly

I don't even use US DD, I play IJN DD only

I claim because of the statistics

every ship is good with a skilled captain

but it doesn't mean that the ship itself is strong

note that the top 10% players of US DD have much worse average result than top 10% players of BB

Don't call a ship good/bad just because you use it well or not personally

Statistics is the strongest evident to prove that a ship class is UP/OP

It's Alright now. Still not "Amazing" yet but decent enough to use.

Rudder shift time Buff allow it to better dodge fire from incoming fire better to ~8-9km.

It's fun to screw around and when you spot a IJN DD it's Party time.

Still would love to see an Arc Rework/Velocity Buff.....

Hmm... I'm afraid that the buff will make it even harder to grind the IJN DD line
Edited by CarbonMonoxide

26 posts
1,513 battles

Yes they are still very bad, as a Mahan owner, I find it very difficult to get close enough to ships to actually hit them.....At Tier 7 most players have some experience in the game, and most maps are out in the open, with very little places for a DD can sneak up upon an unsuspecting ship, the Mahan is badly designed, can be seen at 7.9km on surface, torps have a range of only 4.5km stock....., and thanks to the newest patch, getting close to a ship is really hard since the have improved close quarters guns.....

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

if you want to counter IJN DD (which sometimes proof having a hard time fightin USN DD) then USN DD is your choice,, because their DP Main Gun had high RoF and and quick turret turn rate,, and it's usefull to harras enemies BB,, saw Gearing deal almost 35k burning BBQ damage on Montana (repair? no problem,, keep it perma burn)

26 posts
1,513 battles

The top USA DD are fine, its the mid range ones Tier 6 and Tier 7 that are crappy....you have too many things stacked against you to be competitive, getting kills or hits with the Mahan is damn near impossible stock....

Id love to know what teh designers were thinking about this ship....

Sign in to follow this