Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

turret layouts

the turret layout  

47 members have voted

1. 1. which turret layout are you sort of comfortable with?

• AB-X (the Iowa)
    • A-XY (the Myogi)
    • ABC/all turrets at the forward section (the Izumo)
    • ABC-XY (the Myoko, Takao/Atago, Mogami and Ibuki)
    • I don't use those things after I transitioned, filthy gun peasant! (carrier)
    • AB-XY (the Colorado)
    • I don't care so long as their business ends meet the enemy ship I'm blasting (trigger-happy)
    • ABC-XYZ/AB-PQ-XY (the Fuso)
    • all guns at both sides of the ship (the St. Louis)
    • A-X (the Mikasa)
    • who needs rounds in the air when you have THE ALMIGHTY TORPEDO!
    • AB (not yet implemented, the Richelieu)

36 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Had a chat with a friend who's really unfamiliar with the Myogi's turret layout saying that he's still uncomfortable with it a few hours ago and some ideas run up to my head, some derpy, some even more derpy.

now this might not really involve the whole prospect of gunnery where I believe there are some points that need to be aggressively polished such as the teeny tiny tweaking of shot deviation but I gotta ask: what turret layout are you comfortable with?

for instance, the Kawachi has an interesting turret layout despite her wonky shot deviation where there is a pair located on each side of the ship as well as the fore and aft turrets which may entice some but may be put off by her shot deviation that sometimes betrays the gunnery even at flippin 7 km. the Furutaka for that matter, despite having single mounts, compensates it with having six of them which may give her a potential battery even if they are but single mounts.

in my opinion however, the A-XY layout of the Myogi causes a bit of confusion for me since whenever I turn to change sides, the direction when I turn is usually towards the enemy whereas this layout needs you to show your stern to the enemy to unload the two aft turrets but a small part of me worries about Izumo players a bit since they can't really attack when their stern is facing the enemy due to the Nelson-esque turret layout of ABC there.

*NOTE: letters of ABC onwards comprise the forward area if the turrets are located there and WXYZ comprise the rear section if the turrets are located there.

additional interesting bit to read is of Gorbon's more dakka paradox thread in relations to guns and turrets.

random inquiry is over.

that is all.

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
1,677 posts

You forget to add (Guns? Who needs that! I have my Torps)

added. but to generalize, the tubes technically count as turrets.

I'm a bit surprised why people want their turrets up at the fore section of the ship though. they're virtually defenseless when they're turning tail since in this game, not unloading guns = defenseless of sorts

Edited by EvyL

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

added. but to generalize, the tubes technically count as turrets.

I'm a bit surprised why people want their turrets up at the fore section of the ship though. they're virtually defenseless when they're turning tail since in this game, not unloading guns = defenseless of sorts

Uh oh... offensive??

The North Carolina and further USN BB using tht layout for some reason, no?

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Uh oh... offensive??

The North Carolina and further USN BB using tht layout for some reason, no?

lel the tubes? but they're auxilliary armaments to be fair.

North Carolina and succeeding battleships uses the AB-X layout save the Montana which is an AB-XY paper ship. I'm wondering why people are really comfortable with the ABC layout since the real bad side of that is they are unable to defend their asses when they turn tail as their main batteries at at the fore section.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

which turret layout are you sort of comfortable with?

All of the above including carriers and torpedoes and whatever else exists out there.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,648 battles

lel the tubes? but they're auxilliary armaments to be fair.

North Carolina and succeeding battleships uses the AB-X layout save the Montana which is an AB-XY paper ship. I'm wondering why people are really comfortable with the ABC layout since the real bad side of that is they are unable to defend their asses when they turn tail as their main batteries at at the fore section.

The Nelson will come in at tier 7. she is slow (23 knots), should turn like a brick, there is no running away in her, just keep going forward. :izmena:
Edited by BigWaveSurfer

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The Nelson will come in at tier 7. she is slow (23 knots), should turn like a brick, there is no running away in her, just keep going forward.

Sail her closer, she wants to hit 'em with her sword. :hiding:

78xrvFH.png

Edited by Retia

Super Tester
1,677 posts

The Nelson will come in at tier 7. she is slow (23 knots), should turn like a brick, there is no running away in her, just keep going forward. :izmena:

but her armor layout looks solid enough to last a slugging match. the main advantage of the ABC layout is that you don't need to turn your entire ship to show your broadside but just angle a bit and all guns are brought to bear but the bad side is that once you turn hard to run, you can't perform Parthian shots (even if the shots deal 1-3k worth of damage, damage is still damage no matter how you look at it) to give them something to worry about.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

How about AB layout like the Richelieu? you can always point all your guns at enemy while angling to maximum effect.  That kind of setup is even more cheating than Nelson's. :hiding:

if the Marine Nationale arrive, paper ships with and without, the Richelieu will literally have trouble with the shot deviation assuming the RUdevs continue on with not tweaking that damned param value on the guns although to be fair to them, the turrets are quadmounts.

at least with the ABC layout you can still have an additional turret to unload despite not having a powerful turret.

... now I'm more worried about the KGV's AB-X layout

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
1,677 posts

All of the above including carriers and torpedoes and whatever else exists out there.

doubt you're comfortable with A-XY tho.

But the flippin Leipzig is one so I cant complain...

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I'd disagree, Nelson could potentially be a tier 8 as she mounts the big 9x16" guns, while the Vanguard mounted 8x15" guns as the British didn't have enough spare 16" guns

At Tier 7 I'd say the King George V class would be suitable - they have 10x14" guns and decent enough AA, Both Nelson and King George V are one of the few post Washington treaty battleships and are relatively modern compared to the WW1 vintage Nagato and Colorado Battleships.

not sure on tiers 4, 5 and 6 but I would definitely say the Dreadnought should rightfully take tier 3 as the start of the British battleship tech tree (likewise with the German Nassau, the first German Dreadnought)

I'm judging ship tiers purely on gun calibre and modernity - more modern battleships have better AA and armor

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I'd disagree, Nelson could potentially be a tier 8 as she mounts the big 9x16" guns, while the Vanguard mounted 8x15" guns as the British didn't have enough spare 16" guns

At Tier 7 I'd say the King George V class would be suitable - they have 10x14" guns and decent enough AA, Both Nelson and King George V are one of the few post Washington treaty battleships and are relatively modern compared to the WW1 vintage Nagato and Colorado Battleships.

not sure on tiers 4, 5 and 6 but I would definitely say the Dreadnought should rightfully take tier 3 as the start of the British battleship tech tree (likewise with the German Nassau, the first German Dreadnought)

I'm judging ship tiers purely on gun calibre and modernity - more modern battleships have better AA and armor

the retrofits Nelson gets afaik still cap her at tier 7 despite getting solid guns but offense may be what she gets as her tip of the spear.

In-game however, I still  not sold on the ABC layout.

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

ABC HMS Nelson, all gun pointed forward not like Izumo

Can't wait for HMS Nelson to come to life on WoWs, first battleship I ever built a model of.  :child:

too bad, can't fire all 3 forward, third turret is lower then the second turret.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

doubt you're comfortable with A-XY though

You kidding me? I love my Mighty Mio, she's great for sailing in "circles".

The Wyoming often has to risk a lot to get most of her guns to bear.

Mio on the other hand can sail towards the enemy and pull away again while firing with all her guns.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,648 battles

British 16in gun was poor compared to the older 15in gun, only have a better range because of her higher elevation.

Super Tester
802 posts

Given that the Bismark class (ie: Tirpitz) with its 15" guns currently sits at tier 8, the whole arguement that calibre dictates tier has been thrown out the window.

Anyway, back on topic; ABC would be great if they were all superfiring turrets, so I'm going AB-X and AB-XY would be my choices, more firepower available up front when I need it, without leaving my rectal regions exposed when turning (Make the poll a multi-choice next time please)

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Correction for Fuso

AB-PQ-XY

Middle turrets have PQ designation

Although practically they are ABC-XYZ for upgraded hull, AB-WXYZ stock. 

This is mainly because I think turrets should be designated depending on which direction they are facing. ABC for forward-facing, XYZ for rearward-facing.

Likewise, Myoko and Takao have AB-XYZ layout. Tone has AB-YZ layout eventhough all 4 guns are mounted forward of the superstructure.

I don't know how to designate side-mounted turrets like on pre-dreadnoughts though, like the Kawachi.

too bad, can't fire all 3 forward, third turret is lower then the second turret.

This is why the Richelieu is more dangerous. :hiding:

213 posts
4,335 battles

Generallt speaking the C turret is always the worst (located behind or aft the bridge since it requires showing your broadside to fire. In the Wyoming/NY layout ships the C exposes after the XY even when going forward. 

Hower in the current game mechanics the more guns in the more turrets is better.

In fact, screw turrets, if they were in open  mounts and could turn like the guns on the low tier cruisers then gimmy 20 12" guns on swivel mounts. I'll spam your Colorado into flaming oblivion.

Sign in to follow this