Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Retia

Small Warning About Strafing

17 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Just a small warning to anyone playing CVs that the new strafing ability is still bugged.

Leaving aside that it's utterly useless against any player with some degree of measurable brain activity,

there is a fairly good chance your fighters will bug out after their attack run if an enemy fighter squadron attacks it while doing the strafing run.

It will be bugged and unable to defend itself.

Thus, I highly suggest not to try out this ability...

If you're really curious about how it works do it in a coop match where the loss of a single fighter squadron is

outweighted by the sheer stupidity of the bot AI.

And remember people, full release soon. :honoring:

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

useful in low tier CVs (lots of ammo), utterly useless and inefficient in mid and high tier.

Useful in low tier CVs where CV players have to manage even less squadrons, i.e. have an even easier time to avoid getting caught in

a small firing arc that takes 1.4s to get out of?

It's like Ash's arrow in that dota-like game that I can't mention because of forum rules, but slower and much easier to predict...

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Honestly I could come up better ways for advanced Fighter control, such as Disengage or Evasive Maneuvers. :hiding:

This strafing ability Fighters have would be more sensible if it's intended to work against surface ship, both the animation and effect.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

So far, that's my verdict while playing hosho and midway. Planes at low tier are slower and less maneuverable thus tends to get caught in strafe more easily, you also have more ammo so in case your strafe was a fail, you still have 80% ammo, this is not the case for high tiers, 1 strafe can cost you around ~60% of your total ammo and it will be most likely to miss. I was able to use it at low tier effectively(killing langley fighters with my hosho with ease) but I think it needs rework with high tier planes with low ammo. Also, head-on strafing doesn't make sense. I tried strafing on a fighter heading towards me, they received no damage and they immediately stick to my fighter's 6 and proceeded to dog fight my fighters on a strafe run, that shouldn't be the case so another good suggestion would be to give fighters additional speed while strafing.

Edited by Deicide

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Instead of dopey gimmicks they really ought simply to go back to basics and do the balance properly.

And if they can't? Says something about the wisdom of having CVs, doesn't it.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Just a small warning to anyone playing CVs that the new strafing ability is still bugged.

Leaving aside that it's utterly useless against any player with some degree of measurable brain activity,

there is a fairly good chance your fighters will bug out after their attack run if an enemy fighter squadron attacks it while doing the strafing run.

If you're really curious about how it works do it in a coop match where the loss of a single fighter squadron is

Yep, i discovered the bug this morning when my fighter got shot down by IJN fighter squadron without inflicting any damage whatsoever to the enemy planes.

Now, i couldn't play during the public test of 0.4.1 since it coincided with my vacation. Why didn't anyone spot this bug in the public test?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Yep, i discovered the bug this morning when my fighter got shot down by IJN fighter squadron without inflicting any damage whatsoever to the enemy planes.

Now, i couldn't play during the public test of 0.4.1 since it coincided with my vacation. Why didn't anyone spot this bug in the public test?

I did and I searched on the EU forums afterwards to see that it was already reported, but don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine prior to the release in 2 weeks.

@Deicide:

I dunno on low tiers I find it the easiest to outmaneuver enemy fighters, since there aren't that many.

I only ever got hit badly when I went herpa derp against 3+ fighter squadrons.

As for giving fighters the ability to fly faster while using the strafing run.

It might even make me use the ability... as a speed boost and nothing more. :P

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Just this morning I encountered a weird bug. Managed to kill a squadron of fighters using my hosho fighters via strafe but then, after rearming, my squad gets continuously damaged (by a ghost?) until they die. when I launch a new fighter squad, the same happen. Bad thing I wasn't able to record the replay.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Just this morning I encountered a weird bug. Managed to kill a squadron of fighters using my hosho fighters via strafe but then, after rearming, my squad gets continuously damaged (by a ghost?) until they die. when I launch a new fighter squad, the same happen. Bad thing I wasn't able to record the replay.

Yup, this is a new bug too. Someone already mentioned it on reddit.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Yup, my tier full health 6 fighter squadron from the Indy got wiped out after being attacked mid strafe run by a fighter squad from the Ryujo - for no loss

Super Tester
509 posts

Thanks for the warning I wont try this ability.

Amazes me that after multiple testing sessions it still has so many bugs and was thrown into the live server.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Amazes me that after multiple testing sessions it still has so many bugs and was thrown into the live server.

The bugs were identified but i guess WG rushed the patch since they wanted to announce the full release of WOWS.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

The bugs were identified but i guess WG rushed the patch since they wanted to announce the full release of WOWS.

Nah, bug-filled updates are something of a WG tradition.

One of the better ones of late in WoT was the 'D-day map' where one side got stuck in their spawns and could only turn their turrets and shoot. In case the other side felt too smug about that, if they advanced too far towards the stuck enemies then they fell through the map and died.

That's one of many I can think of off the top of my head, lol.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

so i used this new fighter ability to save my fellow usn CV against enemy bomber but after i send them back to get rearmed and launch them again. my fighter are taking damage per second and start dropping like flies.... i though there was a dd like mutsuki around but as i repair them and launch them again. the fighter Icon is blinking, the animation where when they are taking damage. so yup. its @#$%#@ bugged.

Edited by yansuki

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

It's only a bug if we can't sell it as a feature.

Sign in to follow this