Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yanyatcheng

matchmaking still bad for low tiers

9 comments in this topic

295 posts
501 battles

try to grind my USN BB (tier 3), first match, need to play against ship up to tier 5, what the hell, I am completely out tiered, and I can't do anything bed because their ship is way better.

please FFS set tier limit, I am done with that MM, even after the patch it's still bad:angry:

Super Tester
121 posts
1,927 battles

I thought the patch was suppose to fix only CV matchmaking. I dont think so they said about the whole MM being fixed. correct me if I am wrong.

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

We still have +3 mm for all classes....and BBs generally have more chance to get into +3 mm compared to other classes. Either grit your teeth, drink liquid concrete and continue your suffering, or change to CA, DD or CV line.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

We still have +3 mm for all classes....and BBs generally have more chance to get into +3 mm compared to other classes. Either grit your teeth, drink liquid concrete and continue your suffering, or change to CA, DD or CV line.

Nope, most classes (tier5 and below) get +1 or +2 MM, only BB get +3 on all tiers.

Check here: 

MM_by_battle_tier.png

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

295 posts
501 battles

Nope, most classes (tier5 and below) get +1 or +2 MM, only BB get +3 on all tiers.

Check here: 

MM_by_battle_tier.png

than I can say tier 3 BB are unfairly underpowered for the current matchmaking, DD can outrange you....

and also, I want to get CV but I need to get past tier 3/4 BB first......:(

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

than I can say tier 3 BB are unfairly underpowered for the current matchmaking, DD can outrange you....

Kawachi will be outranged in Tier 4-5 matches. But in Tier 3, it's a very capable ship. You just need to bear the burden of getting matched in high tier matches.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I have no idea why WG think it's fine for BB to have +3 MM, but not Cruisers or Destroyers. Many of us also have the same opinion.

Heck, even tier5-7 BB don't deserve +3 MM either, let alone tier3.

Kawachi will be outranged in Tier 4-5 matches. But in Tier 3, it's a very capable ship. You just need to bear the burden of getting matched in high tier matches.

That's the problem with the game. Putting certain ships in matches where it'll be outclassed by everything is bad game design.

Tier3 and 4 BB should get +1 MM, while tier5 and above should get +2 MM.

But boy, talk about how long it takes WG to listen to players...

The Beta status was just a lame excuse, but if this MM problem persists after the game goes live in 2 weeks, well u guys know what we should do then.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Beta Tester
2 posts
3,808 battles

Actually the poor old DD also seems to be getting +3 levels in MM as well

Played 8 games in Tier 6 Mutsuki  tonight had 1 tier 6 game , 1 tier 7 , 2 tier 8 games and 4 with Tier IX ships ( carriers and Cruisers )

Needless to say I had a miserable night due to the amount of planes the high tier CV's park over your head.

I'm not seeing many high tier DD's so I suppose they are padding out by dragging  poor old low tier ships to make up DD numbers.

Given as how the balance has swung against DD (they lost most of their protection (smokecreen) and the amount of planes in the air now is truly ridiculous from IJN CV's) I don't think I will be pursuing the DD line for much longer.

Pity as I enjoyed my Tier X Shimekaze in CBT but DD's just are not fun any more above tier 6.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

I have no idea why WG think it's fine for BB to have +3 MM, but not Cruisers or Destroyers. Many of us also have the same opinion.

Heck, even tier5-7 BB don't deserve +3 MM either, let alone tier3.

That's the problem with the game. Putting certain ships in matches where it'll be outclassed by everything is bad game design.

Tier3 and 4 BB should get +1 MM, while tier5 and above should get +2 MM.

But boy, talk about how long it takes WG to listen to players...

The Beta status was just a lame excuse, but if this MM problem persists after the game goes live in 2 weeks, well u guys know what we should do then.

That's easy to explain.

WG's MM has been rubbish for a LONG time.

In WoT your stock tier 6 heavy got into tier 10 battles. Oh, and there were no premium rounds for CR. LOL, that was fun.

They also had 'scout' MM. What that meant was players going for famous tanks like the T-34 or Tiger I had to play a tier 4 vehicle that had no armour and a popgun in tier 8 battles. What were they meant to do? "Scout". The problems with that were:

- these players could be geniune newbs. Literally their first tier 4. So they had no idea what they were doing, and the game gave them no hints.

- the tanks had worse view ranges than their tier 8 enemies. Scout? LOL.

- pretty much every player would have low skilled crews. At that point in the game, the garage stats were based on 100% crews, vents, BiA and premium consumables, which came to 121% I think. So you'd go into battle thinking you'd see 380m, but in fact your view range was probably more like 260m.

All in all? Hilariously bad. And it took them 2.5 YEARS to change it.

So on the one hand the MM here is already better. On the other, the pedigree of WG and MM is craptastically awful.

The most recent MM changes meant CVs would be matched exactly equally for numbers and tiers. OK, that's a good thing.

The other thing is if you've played 'enough' games v higher tiers, it now tries to give you one as top tier. What's wrong with that?

It's perfectly simple, and something I've written about for at least 4.5 years.

IF WG knows vehicles (including ships) generally perform best against their own tier, then they know you're potentially being gimped every time you're NOT top tier. You'd think if you can face your own or up to 2 tiers higher then you'd have a reason to think you'd get roughly 1/3rd battles in each type of battle (where you're top, middle or bottom tier).

Guess what? You don't. All they do is periodically throw you a bone of a top tier battle after you've been hosed for battle after battle.

For BBs it will be even worse, because there are 4 types of battles. Instead of 25% in each, you'll probably do far worse.

OK, so you get more exp for 1 point of damage v a higher tier than an equal or lower one in WoT, so I imagine it's similar here. But you have to DO the damage. In some ships that's not such a massive issue, but others don't translate well v higher tiers, ESPECIALLY when stock. So the theoretical potential for higher scores is only useful if that potential is realised, and often it won't be. ESPECIALLY in a BB that's gimped in speed and range and accuracy.

To my mind it would have made better sense for everything to get a max of +2 tiers, and for WG to work on the MM to ensure that you NEVER get more battles as bottom tier than you do as top. They could then play around with balance from there.

This was one of the things I wrote in a lengthy thread on some MM principles. Of course it was helpfully 'archived' like so many other thoughtful, positive, well-intentioned posts.

Doesn't surprise me at all they've done nothing better than WoT, because they've had 5 years to address those remaining issues (and distribution of battles is one of them) yet haven't. They seem to like deciding that some vehicles/vessels should be 'thrown under a bus' regularly. Perhaps it 'encourages' people to pay them to get out of that awful game play experience; if people are stupid enough to reward them for that approach, who am I to say they're wrong?

I used to keep data on these things, and gathered tons of it over the years in WoT. My last example of the consequences of this MM was my Panther II that had 14% of its battles as top tier (tier 8) and 56% as bottom (tier 10). Yup, 4 battles as bottom tier for every battle as top. GG.

Oh, and one last point. There's a common refrain from all sorts, including WG themselves, that the MM is 'optimised' for certain populations. I rather suspect the ~15k maximum players on this server isn't within that 'required pop' threshold.

Make of that what you will.

Cheers

Edited by Steeltrap

Sign in to follow this