You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tagnbag

the "new" sims

44 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
86 posts
6,093 battles

I took the Sims out for a spin, thought i'd try the new torp options... umm seriously?  49 kts? 9.2 km and only 8500 damage? Almost nobody gets hit by 49  kt torps after tier 3 ... and the low damage? The range seemed excessive, i'd have thought a gentle change..say 7km range and 55-60 kts.. the damage is already low at 11k ish (yes its a gun boat but we know after armour changes the guns just don't do it, not to mention lighting yourself up by firing is often inviting disaster in a destroyer.

So the Grem at Tier 5 is a better ship than the sims at 7 ? Lowering that sad torp damage even more on torps that are highly unlikely to strike a target. ... odd.

Can any of the testers comment on if this was pushed change or if there is some way of making this work? Did the testers go NOOO but it happened anyway? Or is there an interesting new style to play?  If there is a method to making the new torps work i'd love to hear it.  As in WOT it seems the nerf/buff bat swings at extreme velocity rather than little by little.

wishing I had bought the Grem instead ..

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

I took the Sims out for a spin, thought i'd try the new torp options... umm seriously?  49 kts? 9.2 km and only 8500 damage? Almost nobody gets hit by 49  kt torps after tier 3 ... and the low damage? The range seemed excessive, i'd have thought a gentle change..say 7km range and 55-60 kts.. the damage is already low at 11k ish (yes its a gun boat but we know after armour changes the guns just don't do it, not to mention lighting yourself up by firing is often inviting disaster in a destroyer.

So the Grem at Tier 5 is a better ship than the sims at 7 ? Lowering that sad torp damage even more on torps that are highly unlikely to strike a target. ... odd.

Can any of the testers comment on if this was pushed change or if there is some way of making this work? Did the testers go NOOO but it happened anyway? Or is there an interesting new style to play?  If there is a method to making the new torps work i'd love to hear it.  As in WOT it seems the nerf/buff bat swings at extreme velocity rather than little by little.

It never bothers me about Sims torpedo range, i mainly use my guns to inflict as much damage as possible. Torp ambush only happens under certain circumstances anyway.

Gremmy is probably a better choice overall IMO. Sims just got the ugly end of the HE nerf WG did, Sims was far from useless in the CBT.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

My beautiful wife downloaded the update for me while I was at work today. I was very fired up to have a go with me NLSS (No Longer Suck Sims) tonight. You sir, have burst a dam in front of and have doused my little bonfire....

Sims, the Little DD that could, but never would and looks like, never will.........

I too thoroughly regret buying it and will certainly wait and see before buying future mid to high tier tanks ships.

Edited by Krieg

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

It never bothers me about Sims torpedo range, i mainly use my guns to inflict as much damage as possible. Torp ambush only happens under certain circumstances anyway.

Gremmy is probably a better choice overall IMO. Sims just got the ugly end of the HE nerf WG did, Sims was far from useless in the CBT.

I don't think HE nerf was the main reason for USN DD sucking, it's the smoke nerf (although they did buff it up this patch).

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

My beautiful wife downloaded the update for me while I was at work today. I was very fired up to have a go with me NLSS (No Longer Suck Sims) tonight. You sir, have burst a dam in front of and have doused my little bonfire....

Sims, the Little DD that could, but never would and looks like, never will.........

I too thoroughly regret buying it and will certainly wait and see before buying future mid to high tier tanks ships.

Haven't tried out the new Yubari either, but before this update she really was a glass ship, one hit and you'll get either an engine or rudder knocked out every time, even DD's have better engines/rudders lol, I thought The Sims was the better ship

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The only downside I regularly encounter with the Sims is the mediocre performance against other DDs.

And that's something I don't really mind, cause I use her mostly against CAs and BBs.

The new torpedoes are prolly better for my playstyle, since I never really used the previous set due to their low range.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

The new torpedoes are prolly better for my playstyle, since I never really used the previous set due to their low range.

The range is more my play style as well. However, like Tagnbag said, who are you gonna hit, at the tiers the Sims faces, with a 49 knot torp speed?

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,811 battles

I actually love the new Sims.

With the new AA consumable, I become even more annoying to CVs.

With the new torpedoes. You can actually stealth torp.

Sure its 49 knts. But she gets 2x4 torps giving you a good spread.

Even if you don't hit, I know as a BB player its VERY annoying to dodge torpedoes. Especially when I'm engaging BBs.

Torpedoes by themselves already have a fear factor. They don't necessarily need to hit to already force the enemy to break formation etc. etc.

And the smoke buff is much appreciated.

Edited by Deathskyz

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

It still had Appaling DPS, Duh DPM due to the Low calliber and the Rubbish velocity and Arc.

Torpedos are nice to have I guess.

Smoke is at least somewhat useful other than purely for running away now.

All in all, Grem is still a better ship.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The range is more my play style as well. However, like Tagnbag said, who are you gonna hit, at the tiers the Sims faces, with a 49 knot torp speed?

What Deathsky wrote. The torps are a nice lil' addition and I'm notorious for launching 100 torps each battle and only hitting 5-10 anyway.

WG Staff
606 posts
447 battles

And here I thought Sims 5 was coming... 

So no, sorry, I don't have experience in the Sims so sorry for not being able to contribute to this thread apart from the slight comic relief...

I've launched dozens of torpedoes on the Tirpitz across all games and managed to hit maybe 3 times in total :(

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

And here I thought Sims 5 was coming... 

So no, sorry, I don't have experience in the Sims so sorry for not being able to contribute to this thread apart from the slight comic relief...

I've launched dozens of torpedoes on the Tirpitz across all games and managed to hit maybe 3 times in total :(

No laughing here, this is not a laughing matter. Only tears.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who regrets a purchase. I was SOOOOOO tempted for the sims when it got released too. Dodged a torp on that one.....:trollface:

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,811 battles

No laughing here, this is not a laughing matter. Only tears.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who regrets a purchase. I was SOOOOOO tempted for the sims when it got released too. Dodged a torp on that one.....:trollface:

I dont get it whats with all the hate for the Sims.

Im in love with her now. I was going to sink a New Mehico Ay Ay Ay but a Sims messed up my DBs and TBs.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

How many charges for Defensive Fire consumable she has? is it 1 like Yubari?

Forgot what exactly it is, but I think its one... If not at most 2.

Its not useful - really its only limited to get those pesky Dive Bombers away. Your AA is too weak for any proper use for it.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,811 battles

2. 3 with superintendent. 

You don't really get to shoot down planes but it annoys cv drivers because I too am annoyed when Sims do that to my Hiryu TBs and DBs. 

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

its turrets do turn insanely fast, so it must be good for manouvering and firing. an enemy ship couldn't keep up.

To be fair that's a trait of all DDs.

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

I hit people 3 times on average in each game with the 49knot torpedoes, sinking at least 2 of them

The torpedoes are not useless, they're a godsend for this lil premium ship.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Better use the original torpedoes load out. It's no point using the new torpedoes. No one gets hit by those things, even the slowest battleship.

Beta Tester
86 posts
6,093 battles

update... got focussed 3 times in succession by enemy torp bombers and dive bombers (3 squadrons at a time) shot down 1 plane each time with the AAA .. so meh its not a cruiser ... actually got 3 torp hits on a bb (surprised myself with those 49 kt torps) but the 8k damage  was a mere scratch and of course every hit I took got engine and steering so died fairly quickly (spotter planes!!with my AAA off)  .. quite amazed at actually getting torp hits I get to battle screen and ive lost money ..

Basically you can use the torps as a kind of area denial weapon but theres no creds or xp in that ...the AAA is meh and you are wasting time if you want to piquet.  I think after the 2nd secondary captains skill  (level 4) you can spam shells out of visual, until then ...

Gold ships are supposed to be for grinding creds and xp,  all I can say about Sims is  love the Murmansk

Alpha Tester
982 posts

To be honest, if it was a "regular" premium ship I'd sell it for credits. The only thing that keeps me from doing so is the golden rule of never sell a rare premium ship. (for now..... :sceptic:)