Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Muds_Revenge

AA ratings

20 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

My Jeep has AA rating 34 and has a boost button which does nothing, vs my Murmansk which has AA rating 21 and has no boost to AA button.

I use murmansk for all missions to shoot down enemy planes, because Atago is terribad.

How does this work?.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

My Jeep has AA rating 34 and has a boost button which does nothing, vs my Murmansk which has AA rating 21 and has no boost to AA button.

I use murmansk for all missions to shoot down enemy planes, because Atago is terribad.

How does this work?.

Firstly, IJN AA in general isn't that great to begin with and the Atago is no different. If you wanted to shoot down aircraft then hop into an USN CA.

Secondly, the main purpose of Defensive fire isn't to deal extra damage, the accuracy debuff IMO is much more valuable. 

And as _Storm said, 21 AA Rating at tier V is much more effective then 34 at tier VIII considering Aircraft HP are lower at lower tiers e.g Tier V IJN TB's HP is 990 while at Tier VIII its 1700.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Best ship I played in CBT for reliably high numbers of air kills was, believe it or not.....

......the Colorado. (as an aside, this was about the only 'good' thing about it compared with the New Mex or North C)

I regularly got 15-20+ air kills in it.

LOL, go figure.

Edited by Steeltrap

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

but IJN has "more" guns than can shoot farther than 2km.

atago has 28 : 25mm/60 type 96 mod.1 with dps of 84 and range of 3km, and 4 : 127mm/40 type89 with range of 4 and DPS of 24.

compare to usn CA with most of its gun can only shoot at 2.1 km and only few bofors with 3.5km range. i upgrade both of my cruiser with +20% AA range yet in experience usn CA shoot more planes compare to IJN.  i wonder why IJN AA are so bad even on this game?

Edited by yansuki

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

And surely the tier shouldn't matter, because playing at tier 5 vs a tier 5 cv and tier 5 planes should be equal to playing at tier 8 vs tier 8 cv and tier 8 planes.

If you state there is a disparity, then that proves the tier 8 planes are OP.

The only disparity we SHOULD be seeing, is a difference between the value of 34 vs the value of 21.

Also what of the bonus button the Atago gets, for "intensified" Aa fire?, I turn it on every time the torp bombers come for me (which is every battle), yet I shoot down very few planes, and they just drop their fish and sink me anyway.

I only shoot down 1, 2 would be a gift, and that does not discourange an enemy cv player.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

And surely the tier shouldn't matter, because playing at tier 5 vs a tier 5 cv and tier 5 planes should be equal to playing at tier 8 vs tier 8 cv and tier 8 planes.

If you state there is a disparity, then that proves the tier 8 planes are OP.

The only disparity we SHOULD be seeing, is a difference between the value of 34 vs the value of 21.

The rating isn't even a good indicator of AA power. Expand the AA tab and review the DPS and range of its AA complement. Compare the DPS to enemy plane's survivability at the same tier and you get an idea of how good your AA is.

Some ships simply have poor AA at its tier, some don't even have any AA. That's just how it is.

Also, higher tier planes are faster, so they spend less time lingering inside AA umbrellas making it harder to shoot down.

Also what of the bonus button the Atago gets, for "intensified" Aa fire?, I turn it on every time the torp bombers come for me (which is every battle), yet I shoot down very few planes, and they just drop their fish and sink me anyway.

I only shoot down 1, 2 would be a gift, and that does not discourange an enemy cv player.

Defensive Fire consumable multiplies the DPS of long range AA by 6.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

AA Rating is kind of DPM for the gun  
for example .... (don't know exact number)

at tier V you have 21 DPM and shooting at tier V plane that have 50HP .. it gonna take about 2 and half min to reach 50 damage 
at tier VIII you have 34 DPM shooting at Tier VIII plane that have 100HP .. it gonna take almost 3min to to reach 100 damage ....
.... it kind a work like this 

.. so you can't just look at AA rating but also how much HP the plane you shooting have ... oh yes .. and little of RNG thing too

Edited by WindCruiser

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

The rating isn't even a good indicator of AA power. Expand the AA tab and review the DPS and range of its AA complement. Compare the DPS to enemy plane's survivability at the same tier and you get an idea of how good your AA is.

Some ships simply have poor AA at its tier, some don't even have any AA. That's just how it is.

Also, higher tier planes are faster, so they spend less time lingering inside AA umbrellas making it harder to shoot down.

Defensive Fire consumable multiplies the DPS of long range AA by 6.

yeh i hear that ONE bofors on the atago firing every 20 seconds or so. It increases when i push the intensify perk. LOL a whole perk button for one AA gun.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

yeh i hear that ONE bofors on the atago firing every 20 seconds or so. It increases when i push the intensify perk. LOL a whole perk button for one AA gun.

But the Atago doesn't have any Bofors :hiding:

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

AA Rating is kind of DPM for the gun  

for example .... (don't know exact number)

at tier V you have 21 DPM and shooting at tier V plane that have 50HP .. it gonna take about 2 and half min to reach 50 damage 

at tier VIII you have 34 DPM shooting at Tier VIII plane that have 100HP .. it gonna take almost 3min to to reach 100 damage ....

.... it kind a work like this 

.. so you can't just look at AA rating but also how much HP the plane you shooting have ... oh yes .. and little of RNG thing too

LOLWUT??

AA is a well explained mechanic; there was a thread that had all the pertinent facts in it (which was probably 'archived', as so many other things were). You can very easily compare the effective AA rates to various ranges between ships. Plus throw in the bonus for 'def fire' and if you select a target.

All that remains is the RNG aspect of it, and the (frankly stupid) one that damage done doesn't remain during a plane's time in the air (by which I mean if you've done half a plane's worth of damage and the group leaves AA fire range, that damage is not retained for the next time it enters AA).

The 0-100 number is largely meaningless.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

LOLWUT??

AA is a well explained mechanic; there was a thread that had all the pertinent facts in it (which was probably 'archived', as so many other things were). You can very easily compare the effective AA rates to various ranges between ships. Plus throw in the bonus for 'def fire' and if you select a target.

All that remains is the RNG aspect of it, and the (frankly stupid) one that damage done doesn't remain during a plane's time in the air (by which I mean if you've done half a plane's worth of damage and the group leaves AA fire range, that damage is not retained for the next time it enters AA).

The 0-100 number is largely meaningless.

can you kindly post the link of that thread? i really love to check it out.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

can you kindly post the link of that thread? i really love to check it out.

I fear it might have vanished in the 'great archiving'. Will have a look.

I'm sure it's somewhere in the RU forum, as they have much more detailed info about the game than we do from what I've seen (as it appears most of the really detailed explanations of things come from there).

Retia might know.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

interesting. thanks Syanda. Yesterday I noticed I had focused fire on one squadron of incoming torp bombers, after they dropped their fish, I focused to the next group of torp bombers who were incoming, and most of my gun crews remained firing at the [non] threat, the torp bombers who were flying away. This must have been due to what aura the second group was in.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Anti-aircraft mechanics guide.

Note that we suspect that the damage value of AA guns is actually the % chance to shoot down a plane. Not sure what the exact calculations are.

^^^^^^^^^

Theory is: DPS/survivability = Chance to shoot down a plane per second

This is why the game doesn't remember damage dealt to planes, because there is no damage or even health per se.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

how about my poor ships survivability?. It just gets smashed by torp and bomb spam every battle?.

It cost $60 AUD. I would not recommend it to someone for $5 as it stands (or floats).

I'm only keeping it in the hopes it gets a buff at some point.

Sign in to follow this