Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Coopz

Why do the cannons fire miles off from where you are aiming?

8 comments in this topic

7 posts
279 battles

I understand the guns have poor accuracy and the shells just float towards their target but firing a broadside from my Omaha at a slow moving Cleveland at 7-8k range and my shells all fire miles off to the rear from where I am aiming. I reload fire again and this time they go where I'm aiming and score a few hits, reload and once again, again they seem to fire off well to the rear of the target. I know you have to really lead the target but am I doing something wrong? Feels like its broken.

Super Tester
802 posts

Sounds like you're not compensating the movement of the enemy ship. You need to aim a little further back or closer towards you depending on how the enemy ship is moving. 

The smart player doesn't sail in a straight line,  they'll try to alternate their speed and direction to throw your aim off. Keep an eye on  their bow or their exhaust funnels and use these as clues to help your aim

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Coopz, I strongly suggest you play co-op battles until you get this mechanic down pat.

It's a critical skill to have so you don't smash your computer monitor :P

Also, with many ships, you can shoot enemies that are behind islands. They just have to be in the last 1/3 of your gun range and the island to be not too tall. This is another good thing to work out in co-op.

213 posts
4,335 battles

Its hard to understand what is happening because your sights auto track your target. Unselect your target (press x) to see what is really going on ~ all the ships are moving at 200kmh and you need to lead them appropriately.

BTW if this wasn't the case, each game would take 1~2 hours.

WG Staff
606 posts
447 battles

Indeed. Make sure your intended target is what your gunners are targetting. (The "X" button by default as Gorbon_Rubsay has said)

If you are shooting at something not "locked in" your shells will land WAY off

Sign in to follow this