Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
byungnam

I need help playing mutsuki right way

20 comments in this topic

48 posts
2,946 battles

Compared to T5 DD minekaze, it has slower velocity, longer torp reload time, same number of torps, same range of torps. Slightly better AA? Definitely NOT an expected role for a destroyer.

I've read some posts that mutsuki is the turning point of play style for IJN DD. Hide, ambush, run. But I feel it much harder with the longer torp reload time. 

Please somebody give me a guide for it.

ps. I think it is not the only one which has problems playing this ship. The statistics page shows mutsuki under performs than the minekaze.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Yep I think a straight swap in tier wold work here.

oh that's right 4.1 fixes!

problem solved

I dont like the fixes though

But, check your Detection range as well as your torpedo range, use your gun for covering fire against other DD, never rely on Grey Mark on your aim, as at high tier

You will facing many experienced player which do not really like to move straight

48 posts
2,946 battles

I dont like the fixes though

But, check your Detection range as well as your torpedo range, use your gun for covering fire against other DD, never rely on Grey Mark on your aim, as at high tier

You will facing many experienced player which do not really like to move straight

Which are exactly the way what I have done till now and simply it doesn't work at mutsuki.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Stock Grind on this thing is Utter Disastrous.

Unless you get the Furukata you are stuck with 6km Torpedoes. And even so you need the Second Hull for the 10km Torpedo, which IMO even worse than the Minekaze's 57 knots Torp right now in 4.0 (Although it is to be removed).

The 10km Torpedoes, considering the increase to the detection range of the torpedo and in 12 second Reaction time to the receiver, it really could use ROF of 0.9 - 1.1 per minute. But it don't and the Detection Range had even been increased.

Tier 6 DDs are supposed to be bad, I guess. Farragut is no better.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Which are exactly the way what I have done till now and simply it doesn't work at mutsuki.

it works, just make sure you never get spotted

and works with you team BB and Cruiser as distraction

or use island for "Sierra, Mike Foxtrot"

48 posts
2,946 battles

it works, just make sure you never get spotted

and works with you team BB and Cruiser as distraction

or use island for "Sierra, Mike Foxtrot"

Then what is the reason that I'm feeling mutsuki is tons of shits.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Please somebody give me a guide for it.

Mutsuki's pretty good once you've familiarised yourself with her playstyle.

However there are a few things required for her to get out of her snail house.

First of all never ever upgrade to her 3rd hull, research it to get to Pantsuharu and then leave it be.

The gun upgrade would be nice, but the 3rd hull cuts your gun armament by 50% reducing you to 2 guns.

Now some would argue that JP DDs' guns are worthless, but the truth is that they can get some good damage out there.

The main issue is that the guns are very situational.

If you're under fire from a fast firing CA then you'd want to focus on dodgingrather than firing your guns.

For a BB you'll want to dodge the salvo, then broadside it and fire all 4 guns.

Generally when you feel like a target is about to fire on you the best option is to either turn into the target or away from it.

This generally depends on what range you're at.

Against most targets 6km should be the closest you'd want to get, against fast firing CAs you'd prolly want to stay above 7km or 8km.

(This is all considering that the target is firing on you)

DDs are a different bag.

Other JP DDs should be fought in a duel, leave your torpedoes be and focus on precision shots with your guns.

Most JP DD players will try to torpedo you and while it's unlikely that they will succeed it's still a good idea to change the course in case of

an clever enemy.

US DDs should be engaged at the longest possible range.

Against those you're fighting how you would find a CA with a BB, i.e. you dip into firing range, unleash a well aimed salvo

to deal massive damage and then gtfo to avoid getting blasted into space by constant machinegun fire.

If you do get into a melee fight with an US DD then I suggest some well aimed torpedoes, aim them in a way that the spread

will make him turn into an unfavourable positon.

Fire your guns as effective as possible and try to gain some distance between you and him.

JP DD's guns may reload slower, but they can deal lethal damage to US DDs with only a few well placed salvos..

One last thing to remember is that gun fire has a habit of getting you spotted, so on certain maps/situations you'd prolly want to avoid firing too much.

As for torpedoes:

My general rule of thumb is to unload a salvo whenever possible.

While I do aim them well I also usually spray and pray with them, hence the ridiculously low hit rate I usually get with torpedoes.

The thing is that while my hitrate is low I usually end up hitting the right things at the right time or keep ugly things away from me

by making them turn.

Personally I prefer the 10km torpedoes, some people prefer the 6km torps due to the faster speed.

Seeing that my minimum fighting range against most targets is 6km you're prolly capable of imagining that

I don't particularly like the idea of firing torpedoes that may bite the dust before reaching the target.

Additionally the 10km torpedoes can usually be fired twice on the same target while approaching it.

I.e. once at 10km and then again at whatever range I've reached.

The aiming depends on the target.

I usually fire one salvo slightly in front of the indicator and the other one at the location I predict the target to dodge into.

Finally, keep in mind that your guns (Assuming you have the tier IV +20% range skill) almost have as much range as your torpedoes.

This gives you the opportunity to launch the first salvo and then maximise your damage on the target by slugging shells into it.

Obviously it depends on the target's behaviour, if you have a 100% oblivious BB you'd prolly not want to make him aware of yourself and the torpedo salvos

before the game does.

I highly suggest playing around with the idea of a hybrid gun/torp playstyle, since Pantsuharu on the next tier will favour a similiar playstyle, too.

She comes with two doublebarreled mounts and one single mount, getting her the firepower of 5 guns when broadsiding.

At the same time her torpedo range is 10km and her gun range ~11km, i.e. you can open fire with your guns several seconds before entering torpedo range.

Of course this isn't the only playstyle to go with, you can focus solely on torpedo attacks, or you can prioritise CV hunting,

but generally this is the playstyle had the most fun with.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Then what is the reason that I'm feeling mutsuki is tons of shits.

Her ROF, her armour, her Gun count and Better useless AA in 3rd hull

basically, you will struggle in this ship and Hatsuharu (but the latter have better combat capability)

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

since Mutsuki, your torpedo seldom hit

so don't use torpedo as your main weapon

and since Mutsuki, your guns aren't bad

so make good use of your guns

it's like a US DD with worse gun but better torpedo

spam HE and launch torpedo when you think it's the right moment

guns can deal 10000-20000 damage and a lucky torpedo hit provides 10000+ damage

that's how I had fun with my Hatsuharu(in CBT)

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Just got Mutsuki too ... Darn 6km torp with 5.9 detection is so bad ... you have to go in front of the enemyship and shoot so torp will get there by you not detected .... other way is play like US DD without a good gun ... find island and wait for then to come in very close range ...

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,247 battles

Mutsuki's pretty good once you've familiarised yourself with her playstyle.

However there are a few things required for her to get out of her snail house.

First of all never ever upgrade to her 3rd hull, research it to get to Pantsuharu and then leave it be.

The gun upgrade would be nice, but the 3rd hull cuts your gun armament by 50% reducing you to 2 guns.

Now some would argue that JP DDs' guns are worthless, but the truth is that they can get some good damage out there.

The main issue is that the guns are very situational.

If you're under fire from a fast firing CA then you'd want to focus on dodgingrather than firing your guns.

For a BB you'll want to dodge the salvo, then broadside it and fire all 4 guns.

Generally when you feel like a target is about to fire on you the best option is to either turn into the target or away from it.

This generally depends on what range you're at.

Against most targets 6km should be the closest you'd want to get, against fast firing CAs you'd prolly want to stay above 7km or 8km.

(This is all considering that the target is firing on you)

DDs are a different bag.

Other JP DDs should be fought in a duel, leave your torpedoes be and focus on precision shots with your guns.

Most JP DD players will try to torpedo you and while it's unlikely that they will succeed it's still a good idea to change the course in case of

an clever enemy.

US DDs should be engaged at the longest possible range.

Against those you're fighting how you would find a CA with a BB, i.e. you dip into firing range, unleash a well aimed salvo

to deal massive damage and then gtfo to avoid getting blasted into space by constant machinegun fire.

If you do get into a melee fight with an US DD then I suggest some well aimed torpedoes, aim them in a way that the spread

will make him turn into an unfavourable positon.

Fire your guns as effective as possible and try to gain some distance between you and him.

JP DD's guns may reload slower, but they can deal lethal damage to US DDs with only a few well placed salvos..

One last thing to remember is that gun fire has a habit of getting you spotted, so on certain maps/situations you'd prolly want to avoid firing too much.

As for torpedoes:

My general rule of thumb is to unload a salvo whenever possible.

While I do aim them well I also usually spray and pray with them, hence the ridiculously low hit rate I usually get with torpedoes.

The thing is that while my hitrate is low I usually end up hitting the right things at the right time or keep ugly things away from me

by making them turn.

Personally I prefer the 10km torpedoes, some people prefer the 6km torps due to the faster speed.

Seeing that my minimum fighting range against most targets is 6km you're prolly capable of imagining that

I don't particularly like the idea of firing torpedoes that may bite the dust before reaching the target.

Additionally the 10km torpedoes can usually be fired twice on the same target while approaching it.

I.e. once at 10km and then again at whatever range I've reached.

The aiming depends on the target.

I usually fire one salvo slightly in front of the indicator and the other one at the location I predict the target to dodge into.

Finally, keep in mind that your guns (Assuming you have the tier IV +20% range skill) almost have as much range as your torpedoes.

This gives you the opportunity to launch the first salvo and then maximise your damage on the target by slugging shells into it.

Obviously it depends on the target's behaviour, if you have a 100% oblivious BB you'd prolly not want to make him aware of yourself and the torpedo salvos

before the game does.

I highly suggest playing around with the idea of a hybrid gun/torp playstyle, since Pantsuharu on the next tier will favour a similiar playstyle, too.

She comes with two doublebarreled mounts and one single mount, getting her the firepower of 5 guns when broadsiding.

At the same time her torpedo range is 10km and her gun range ~11km, i.e. you can open fire with your guns several seconds before entering torpedo range.

Of course this isn't the only playstyle to go with, you can focus solely on torpedo attacks, or you can prioritise CV hunting,

but generally this is the playstyle had the most fun with.

Yes, all that...or.

Free XP past the damn thing.:coin:

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

From Mutsuki on, you don't run around YOLO spamming torpedoes.

There is a few ways you can play Mutsuki/Hatsuharu.

1. Lone Wolf

Sail off far from your team and stalk the enemy capital ships. Less people aiming at those ships, the less likely they will be alerted and make zig/zagging patterns letting you have an "easier" time planning your torpedo runs. If you get spotted turn and run as fast as you can back to the main fleet or get back out of visual range of the enemy.

2. Stalker/Ambusher

This way of playing relies on your team to be the bait/target to allow you to get in close and drop your torpedoes while they are distracted by your team. Get in close by using islands to block light of sight while keeping sight of where the enemy is at and who he/she is focused on. If you are being spotted and focused on, pop smoke drop your torpedoes if possible and get out and behind cover.

Tips:

Choke points are good spots for DD to "camp".

Do not use the lead indicator as a go-to aiming point. always try to gauge to shoot ahead of the lead indicator or behind it to predict if the enemy movements when he/she detects your torpedoes.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Yes, all that...or.

Free XP past the damn thing.

So either learn to play or bail out like a loser.

That's indeed a very tough choice to make. :child:

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

I wonder how it will be in 0.4.1 ... It must be hell for stock ... +300m detection range ? so now it 6.2km detection range with 6km torp .... you can almost say goodbye to stealth tactic of IJN DD :hiding:

213 posts
4,335 battles

Just bought this after 4.1 update.... THE HORROR!!!! Save me!

1 max, 2 torpedo hits per game... switched back to my 'nerfed' Minekaze- 9 hits in one game. 

Torps too slow, too detectable and can't get a good spread with 6 tubes. 

Like Home Alone 2, it's really as bad as everyone says.....

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Minekaze is kinda Meh now. It's still a good ship, but I feel like the Izokaze is more like a Tier 5 ship.

Musutki is now a Great support ship - Good AA and Good Gun handling (Although lack quantity). Torpedos are usable once upgraded to the 59 knots one.

It's Grind is still Absolutely Horrible though.

1,126 posts

today I always keep stealth camo on DD with auto resupply,  DD can't live without it anymore.

luckily, this camo help detectable range form 6.2 to only 6.0 ... well... good enough ( the old one before nerfed is 5.9)

32 posts
794 battles

Good news for new Mutsuki drivers, provided you had the 10km torps unlocked on the minikaze prior to the new patch at least, they will be already unlocked and ready to buy once you get the b hull, no extra xp required.

Sign in to follow this