Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MetamonC13

Phoenix - Oh my

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

From my experience, the strong point of Phoenix is her attack profile.

She has max broadside power of 5 guns, and you can bear all of them on the target while sailing straight towards them, making it hard (especially BB) to hit you.

The Kuma still wins in raw firepower and Torpedo though. Both ships are also floating citadel.

Beta Tester
16 posts
151 battles

I usually full broadside (like an utter dunce XD) which is why i'm surprised I didn't get utterly decimated in this match

Haven't tried the Kuma, once I finish the Americruiser line, I may try the Japanese one

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

The Phoenix is one of the best tier IV ship in the game. Even somewhat better than the Kuma. Her 152 mm main guns are pretty damn good for her, can even citadel tier V cruisers... Her AP shells are much more reliable than Kuma's.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

The Phoenix is one of the best tier IV ship in the game. Even somewhat better than the Kuma. Her 152 mm main guns are pretty damn good for her, can even citadel tier V cruisers... Her AP shells are much more reliable than Kuma's.

Most Cruisers up to tier5 have rather rubbish armor (aside from St.Loius and Aurora because they are protected Cruisers). Even 140mm AP can pen their citadel with little problem.

The thing with Kuma is that it has more guns, fires faster, good HE and fire chance, also better torps and more of them (and don't forget the Catapult Fighter that Phoenix lack) so she's still superior.

Talk about good attack angle, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about (Furutaka 0.4.1 test):

Look at that bottom left indicator.yJXxx2H.jpg

Doing this, you can bear your maximum broadside firepower to the enemy, while keeping the minimum profile allowing your to easily wiggle left/right to dodge shots, especially ones from Battleships. It makes some Cruisers exceptionally hard to hit if played right; the Phoenix, 0.4.1 Furutaka and so on are among those. Kuma and Omaha are close to be able to broadside with such steep angle too, though not as much as Phoenix.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Aye, the Phoenix, she is a fine a vessel... Had many good games on her... Don't doubt yourself, you're just starting to get a good handle on her and once you start to switch in both AP and HE expect more good times... and when you'll one day master her you'll love the Omaha by then you're really gonna go "Oh My..."

Edited by Kreigg

Sign in to follow this