TE_Deathskyz

Onboard reviews the crew skills (Repost from WotLabs)

36 comments in this topic

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,811 battles

Taken From:

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/20884-onboard-reviews-the-crew-skills/

All credit goes to Onboard

Legend:

Floating Turd (normally reserved for crutch or trap skills)

Fruit-taka (usually situational and often easily circumvented by good play)

Boringly Normal (Gets you something that you wouldn't normally get but not game-changing)

Blueberry (Very useful for some classes or mildly useful for all classes, can't go wrong type skill)

Stet-Pedding Kemp Bush (Useful for all classes in almost every situation or so useful on a subset of classes its must-have)

Important Notice

There is a max amount of skill points. Currently the Maximum Attainable Skill points for you Captain is:

19 Skill Points

Tier 1:

Expert Loader: 30% increase to loading speed when changing shells

- No. You are better off firing whatever you have loaded and switching shells.

Basic Firing Training: -10% reload time to guns under 155mm, +10% to AA efficiency

- Great skill. The DPM boost applies to the main battery and increases your secondary battery performance is pretty excellent on its own, certainly get it on Cruisers and Battleships.

Basics of Survivability: -15% fire extinguishing and flooding time

- A very nice skill that helps when you've blown your rep kit and need to get that fire under control. Pretty useful on anything really, but you'll get most mileage out of it in a battleship.

Situational Awareness: Sixth Sense

- Great on ships that can use camo setups. Pretty much essential for DD play and certain CAs. Even on ships with bad detection ranges it can be quite nice as a sort of "DD detector" to work out when something sneaky is trying to launch torps at you. You pretty much can't go wrong with this skill, everything can have some use out of it.

Expert Rear Gunner: 10% boost to bomber self defence

--The skill itself doesn't seem exactly great. Bombers already get rekt by fighters, so making them 10% less rekt is still rekt. Basics of Survivability or Situational Awareness seems like a more useful choice to survive bomber rushes than this skill.

Tier 2:

Aiming Expert: +2.5 deg/sec rotation for <155mm guns, +0.7 deg/sec rotation for >155mm guns.

-Pretty great on anything really, apart from Japanese DDs. If your primary armament is guns, this skill is a must have. Certain ships like Warspite and Gremyaschy need this upgrade.

Torpedo Armament Expertise: -10% torp reload, -10% Torp Bomber Service

-No brainer this one. If you shoot torps more than guns, get this skill. So Japanese DDs and Carriers.

Fire prevention: -7% (Multiplicative) reduction to fire chance

- This is a trap, the gain is not additive (i.e 11% fire chance goes to 10%, not 4%). The gain is so small that those 2 points are more useful elsewhere. If you REALLY hate fires in a battleship it might be useful, but honestly, there are better skills at this tier.

Incoming Fire Alert: Gives a warning if you're being shot at from a range where the impact time is >6s

- What the **** is this? Seriously, if you know you're spotted by something you care enough about to dodge you should already be making the moves, not waiting for some half-arsed yokel cousin of situational awareness to tell you you're dun bein shawt ayt.

Tier 3:

High Alert: -10% cooldown time for Damage Control Party(DCP)

- Basically rendered obsolete by premium DCP consumable, although you could stack it with JOAT on a BB for superfast 64s DCP refire.

Vigilance: +20% torpedo acquisition distance

- The "I'm **** at situational awareness" skill. If you're paying attention, you don't need it. If you aren't, it won't help. This is serious pubbie trap material.

Dogfighting Expert: Increased combat power fighting faster planes

- Clearly designed as a tier leveling skill, this is useful on US carriers because the fighters are quite slow. I guess you could use it on Japanese carriers for fighting high tier enemies. My guess is we'll know more about how useful this skill is when German and UK carriers come out.

Superintendant: +1 consumable charge

- Great skill if you're like me and like tanking a hundred thousand damage in your BB. Extra scout plane/smoke/speed boost is excellent and really, everything else in tier is **** for non-CVs

Tier 4:

Demolition Expert: +3% chance of fire

- This one IS additive if I remember rightly, and is useful on spammy gunboats. Unfortunately, most of those are in the US tree and benefit more from the secondary fire skill but on a DD or if you have a sealclubber crew on a low-tier cruiser it's kind of a no-brainer. The Mogami would have a tough call between this skill and the secondary fire skill. Possibly useful for dive bombers but they have a super high fire chance anyway.

Advanced Firing Training: +20% range for <155mm guns, +20% AA range

- The Cleveland was made for this skill. Buffs your main gun range if they're <155mm and makes your AA guns better. It used to be possible to push your bofors guns out to the range where they'd be affected by the AA consumable. I'm not sure if that's still the case but this is an excellent skill for ships with sexy secondary batteries (like Warspite and the high tier JP BBs). It might not be so good on high tier Japanese Cruisers, so Demo Expert might be a better choice there. Even on CVs this might be useful for the AA range (especially on the Lexi).

Last Stand: Can still manoeuvre and move with a broken engine or rudder

-I was informed this has an 85% effect on your rudder and engine on a destroyer. That makes it must pick for Japanese destroyers and a serious contender for US destroyers (although AFT gives you a longer "**** you I'm invisible" zone).

Aircraft Servicing Expert: +5% survivability, -10% loading time of planes

- No brainer for a carrier really. Planes die less and your DPM goes up.

Tier 5:

Last Chance: -9% reload when ship is <20% HP

- WAAAAY too situational to be good. For every game this would have helped me the detection range reduction or -10% consumable time would have helped out in 10 games.

Preventative Maintenance: -34% module damage chance

- This one looks quite interesting if you're in a very tank-heavy battleship setup. If you're expecting to take HE hits this'll reduce the chance of losing modules. Logically that would suggest you take less damage (because the HP pool of the external module not being taken) but I don't know how this thing works well enough to be absolutely sure about that. I can't recommend this until I know how exactly it works.

Concealment Expert: 10-16% detection range reduction depending on ship type

-Great for DDs, certain CAs and the odd battleship. As a rule of thumb if you stack all the mods and skills on a T8+ ship you can knock 25% off your detection range. So a Yamato can be spotted at 13.5km with all mods. You can get some ships (like the Zao and 6" mogami IIRC) to the point where you can invisa-shoot from max range with these changes. Personally I'd take it even in BBs so that I'm not the recipient of the first strike from aircraft. Plus, lol invisi-capping in low tier US BBs.

Air Supremacy: +1 Plane in fighter and DB squadrons

-Carrier no brainer really. Extra planes = extra dpm, more fires, harder to kill squadrons. Doesn't affect TBs so more useful on US CVs than on JP ones.

Jack of all trades (JOAT): -10% consumable reload time

-Stack with High Alert and a premium consumable for fast DCP. This is a good skill for most classes but it isn't going to set the world on fire. Take this if you don't think Concealment is going to help you much in your chosen class (probably high tier BBs).

You'll notice that there aren't any super must-haves at T5. I'd say it's perfectly legitimate to not take a T5 skill and spend the remaining 9 points in the lower ranked skills that might fit your playstyle better. Remember, you have 19 points to play with, and you don't HAVE to have a T5 if you don't want it.

Sample Builds:

US CA (Des Moines)

1. Basic Firing Training

2. Aiming Expert

3. Superintendant

4. Adv Firing Training

4. Demo Expert

5. Jack of All Trades

Warspite (tanky BB)

1. Basic Firing Training

1. Basics of Survivability

2. Aiming Expert

3. Superintendant

3. High Alert

4. Advanced Firing Training

5. JOAT

**** you I'm invisible Mogami

1. Basic Firing Training

1. Situational Awareness

1. Basics of Survivability

2. Aiming Expert

2. Torpedo Armament Expertise (it's possible to stealth torp with the mogami fully tricked out and with care)

3. Superintendant

4. Advanced Firing training

5. Concealment Expertise

I hope this read was useful for you guys. The WoTLab forums is a good place to visit because you can actually get people who git gud making threads that are not all the whine threads we keep seeing in this forums.

Once again all credit goes to Onboard for the comprehensive and easy to understand read.

Deathskyz's Edits:

31/8/15 - Changed Expert Loader to Floating Turd (Its a trap!), Edited some descriptions (BFT Desc edit etc. etc.)

Edited by Deathskyz

Beta Tester
6 posts
5,277 battles

Tier 1:

Expert Loader: 30% increase to loading speed when changing shells

- Possibly useful in an 8" gun cruiser where your ammo type selection will make a big difference to your next engagement. Useless on DDs and BBs because you're not going to fire AP in a DD (unless Gremyaschy) and a BB will get more mileage out of firing the AP salvo and then reloading HE.

This skill only takes effect when all guns are fully loaded, which means if you want to switch ammo right after one salvo this skill won't reduce loading time at all, so I think this skill is Floating Turd

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Basic Firing Training also work for main gun so it very usefull on USN DD since tier X gun still in 155m

Incoming Fire Alert for some reason I've try this and it work quiet OK with long range BB in the start of the game, Many time BB like Kongo, nagato can hit you hard in begining of the game from behind mountain with DD as thier spotter and this can tell you to change derection like 15 second before sell reach you ... but yes, it use 2 point so it maybe more useful if you go for other skill 

Demolition Expert: too bad the chance of fire cause by rapid fire ship like USN CA gonna be reduce .... so we have to wait and see

Edited by WindCruiser

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,811 battles

This skill only takes effect when all guns are fully loaded, which means if you want to switch ammo right after one salvo this skill won't reduce loading time at all, so I think this skill is Floating Turd

Not really. Its quite effective on 8" gun cruisers

Super Tester
1,677 posts

so I need to unscrew my commander in the flippin Furutaka because he's going to be reassigned to the Aoba soon... and he knows:

TIER I

eckspert loadah

basic fire training

basics of survivability

situational awareness

TIER II

eckspert marksman

TIER III

high alert

I might need to remove expert loader (although I feel it has a marginal effect in cruisers on my end since I frequently change rounds. a lot) as well as considering to remove high alert at all. might grab superintendent however since I feel its a good skill.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

so I need to unscrew my commander in the flippin Furutaka because he's going to be reassigned to the Aoba soon... and he knows:

TIER I

eckspert loadah

basic fire training

basics of survivability

situational awareness

TIER II

eckspert marksman

TIER III

high alert

I might need to remove expert loader (although I feel it has a marginal effect in cruisers on my end since I frequently change rounds. a lot) as well as considering to remove high alert at all. might grab superintendent however since I feel its a good skill.

I'd not take basic firing training on most IJN CA, because their AA is bad and that 1 point is better spent elsewhere.

Superintendent could be useful upon reaching Ibuki and Zao.

Though I'd try to get Concealment Expert as soon as possible, sneaking around getting into torp range and get out quick is nice.

420 posts
20 battles

Vigilance was good for me when i drove south carolina, wyoming at 18 knots. DD at this tier is torp spammer type. Lot torpedoes, but slow movers. And since the torp range werent great either, by doing some triangulation, i can guess where the sniper heading to, and intercept it even with a much slower ship.

Situational awareness is useless at higher tier BB, as you can be spotted within 15km or more, it is like the alert is always ON everytime everywhere. Even if you know a DD spotting you, can you guess where it is within that range ? It can be cruiser as well. I can't help to laugh that it was my favorite skill back then while using lower tier. And at latter tier are not spammer type destroyer. When you see one, it doesn't always mean torpedo coming to you.

Edited by Zwelivelle

Beta Tester
6 posts
5,277 battles

Not really. Its quite effective on 8" gun cruisers

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Say I'm in a Myoko which fires every 12 sec and guns are ready with AP rounds, one enemy DD in sight, I can either:

1. Fire my AP salvo immediately then switch to HE and wait for 12 sec to shot again, in the first 30 sec I can shot 3 salvos;

2. With expert loader skill (it only works when all guns are loaded), I can switch to HE in 8 sec and shot the first salvo, I can only shot twice in the first 30 sec.

I will choose the option 1.

Besides, all other tier 1 skills are better than this.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Say I'm in a Myoko which fires every 12 sec and guns are ready with AP rounds, one enemy DD in sight, I can either:

1. Fire my AP salvo immediately then switch to HE and wait for 12 sec to shot again, in the first 30 sec I can shot 3 salvos;

2. With expert loader skill (it only works when all guns are loaded), I can switch to HE in 8 sec and shot the first salvo, I can only shot twice in the first 30 sec.

I will choose the option 1.

Besides, all other tier 1 skills are better than this.

Honestly, you ought to be firing in salvoes anyway - there shouldn't be a situation where your guns are reloading separately unless you're in minimum range combat and have had turrets/ammo knocked out. Hence why we pick expert loader.

Beta Tester
114 posts
2,025 battles

Tier 5:

Last Chance: -9% reload when ship is <20% HP

- WAAAAY too situational to be good. For every game this would have helped me the detection range reduction or -10% consumable time would have helped out in 10 games.

Unless you're me. :>

Alpha Tester
54 posts
1,479 battles

Can I confirm if we get 20 commander skill points in all or 19? I've heard different from different sources.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Preventative Maintenance: -34% module damage chance

- This one looks quite interesting if you're in a very tank-heavy battleship setup. If you're expecting to take HE hits this'll reduce the chance of losing modules. Logically that would suggest you take less damage (because the HP pool of the external module not being taken) but I don't know how this thing works well enough to be absolutely sure about that. I can't recommend this until I know how exactly it works.

i wonder if this skill also affect the chance of AA and secondary guns getting destroyed by HE.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Honestly, you ought to be firing in salvoes anyway - there shouldn't be a situation where your guns are reloading separately unless you're in minimum range combat and have had turrets/ammo knocked out. Hence why we pick expert loader.

i don't fire in salvoes if the enemy is almost dead.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,811 battles

wut?

incoming fire alert skill save me numerous time from BB shells

You can physically eyeball the shells coming at you.

Those 2 points are better off somewhere else because there is a Max Limit of 19 points total.

Alpha Tester
54 posts
1,479 battles

So an additional 4 points over the 5 lines..?

Actually there isn't even a need to get to tier 5, if you think all you need are many many tier 1-4 skills that works too
Edited by newnar