You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bulwyf

Why the disparity in items available in the premium store between US Europe and Asia

22 comments in this topic

45 posts
1,228 battles

I've been looking at the US and European stores for WOWS and notice that both have ship choices which don't appear in the Asian store. In fact the US store has 6 premium ships available as well as an array of flags for sale. 

Wouldn't it be better to have the same items available? At the moment the US store looks a better place to be playing.

News items seem to vary also with the European site making big mention of the coming German fleet with nothing showing here? 

Also are there any plans to allow us to use the same program to log onto either US Euro or Asian servers? (I know  you can do this by rewriting the scripts but would prefer the ability to be made official)

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

/incomingwallotext

I want to answer this, so that folks can see what the decision making process was here. That doesn't necessarily mean you are going to agree with the answer, but I'll give it to you anyway. Many folks are concerned because EU is selling ships that we are not yet (notably the Mikasa). EU has a large marketing campaign tied to gamescom right now, and are expecting to gain a large influx of customers to their servers - more customers = more folks to sell shiny toys to. NA's marketing campaign is not set to kick off for several more weeks - we have no large event occurring to promote so it doesn't make sense to throw advertising dollars around with no concrete reason or goal just yet. We have an extensive campaign slated to begin a few weeks from now and ramp up throughout the month of September. This is when we expect to see that same large influx of customers. We want to generate the most revenue possible from our promotions, because after all we are a business. We could sell ships now, but it would only be to the smaller group of existing customers.

I know that sucks for you as an existing customer. You see ships that are available elsewhere, and you want them RIGHT NOW, and I totally get that. I'm telling you all of this to set your expectations that we won't be selling these ships immediately - not because we wish to withhold them from you out of some sort of malice or spite, but because it makes the most business sense to wait and sell them to the largest possible audience once our marketing and advertising campaign has a chance to fully ramp up. These decisions were made strategically based on extensive market data, not willy nilly. Some guy in an office somewhere doesn't just sit up one day and say, hey I think I'll sell the Mikasa tomorrow. These things are planned months in advance, and tied to what we know about customer behavior in a given time period, and expected growth of customers based on advertising dollars spent. To set correct expectations, it is HIGHLY LIKELY that EU will sell other ships before us as well, based on their planned advertising dollars spent. We will ALSO have times when we sell things before they do, again based on concrete data and planned marketing campaigns.

As a note, we will be doing giveaways during PAX, just as EU is doing during gamescom. The Tirpitz will be included in that. We also have a ship specific to PAX that will be given away, both at the convention and here on the forums to those who participate in that week's forum contests.

tl/dr There really are reasons why these things occur. All of these ships WILL be made available to you, but the timing across different regions is different.

Edited by Deathskyz

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I've been looking at the US and European stores for WOWS and notice that both have ship choices which don't appear in the Asian store.

In fact the US store has 6 premium ships available as well as an array of flags for sale.

NA has 5 ships in the store, so does EU.

The special sales with flags are as the name suggests special, they will end soon and we had a flag sale some time ago.

In fact the EU server is the one with a standart flags sale and it's price would... ... should make any sane human being facepalm.

Wouldn't it be better to have the same items available?

Why? Leaving aside that it would stop the hilarious to read herpa derp threads about grass being greener on the other side,

it doesn't matter at all, does it?

Right now we have the Misaka on special, after that ends we'll get a different special.

Same on the other servers, heck EU currently has no specials going on at all.

At the moment the US store looks a better place to be playing.

Insert stereotypical "Well, why don't you just go and play on the NA server then?"

Also are there any plans to allow us to use the same program to log onto either US Euro or Asian servers?

I think to recall that the idea to officially add this feature made it's rounds once.

However I don't think it was continued and I can't find a source because the Status Report's search function is

even worse than FtR's... somehow...

[_AUS_]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,727 battles

That's interesting marketing theory?

I could understand if it was a physical product that you have to produce and ship around the world, then staggered releases make sense. But digital products can be released simultaneously everywhere!

Surely all WG Asia is doing is annoying its customers who are compelled to use it's servers due to ping etc. and encouraging others to spend their money on the NA and EU sites.

I assume the next big event in SEA is PAX Aus. WG and WOWS would be much better off releasing a RAN premium ship to coincide with that event than delaying the availability of items other players on other servers are enjoying.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Cue EU and NA players complaining about how Asia has better deals.

They are, actually. NA is flooded with "MIKASA WHEN" alongside the "TIRPITZ WHEN" posts.

[_AUS_]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,727 battles

Cue EU and NA players complaining about how Asia has better deals.

They are, actually. NA is flooded with "MIKASA WHEN" alongside the "TIRPITZ WHEN" posts.

I guess if that's the case, from a marketing standpoint surely WG should make sure all their servers are co-ordinated and selling the same product.

A quick check of the 4 stores shows that each has different items available. Why would you not release a product simultaneously if you can?

What "marketing strategy" encourages discontent amongst it's customers?

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I guess if that's the case, from a marketing standpoint surely WG should make sure all their servers are co-ordinated and selling the same product.

A quick check of the 4 stores shows that each has different items available. Why would you not release a product simultaneously if you can?

Each WG server cluster is run by its own separate regional team - don't think of them as four departments under the same company, but four companies taking direction from a head office. The only thing unified is patch deployment from the devs, which all happen on the same day (but at different times due to timezone issues). Specials, premium store, etc, that's handled by the regional teams and tied to regional events.

[_AUS_]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,727 battles

Each WG server cluster is run by its own separate regional team - don't think of them as four departments under the same company, but four companies taking direction from a head office. The only thing unified is patch deployment from the devs, which all happen on the same day (but at different times due to timezone issues). Specials, premium store, etc, that's handled by the regional teams and tied to regional events.

McDonalds stores are individual franchises, yet they've clicked that you make customers happy if you offer a consistent product across all your outlets.

Besides this is an online game, regional events are irrelevant. It's good, but not essential that WG generates goodwill locally at events like the recent one in Taiwan or Pax Aus for example which I attended last year. I love my stress 44 galloon drum and freebie calendar with WOWS pictures from this month onwards (demonstrating they do have some smart people in marketing).

However the bulk of their publicity and exposure has to be online because that is where we game and therefore it makes sense to offer a consistent product.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Customer A: "Omg they have that and we don't!"

Customer B: "I want that, too!"

*Some time later*

Company: "We brought you the stuffz you wanted."

Customer A&B: "Finally! Yeah! Buy Buy Buy!"

And don't even pretend that this doesn't work.

People in general don't care about having to wait.

Sure, the vocal minority will, but in the end more than enough people will make a purchase.

And the money will flow.

McDonalds stores are individual franchises, yet they've clicked that you make customers happy if you offer a consistent product across all your outlets.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

If the McDonalds stores in your country sell the same junk they have over in the US then I'd feel sad for your country.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

In that case: http://gamestart.asia/gamestart-2015/

Please tell me WG will be exhibiting WoWS during that event. I've got tons of money to give them. =)

Dammit, I'll be out of Singapore by then. But AFAIK, it's just TGS2015 and PAX Aus for now.

Super Tester
304 posts
2,010 battles

Hmm, I never got any promotion benefits from WG since I played WoT, now WoWS, because there was no event held at all in Hong Kong, perhaps WG found no market value here, sometimes I could only get something special via clan mate messages from other Asian countries!!!! It's a bit disappointing...!!!!

45 posts
1,228 battles

Deathskyz  thanks for the reply. Understand the reasoning though I, like quite a few people play on the US servers as well (ping is not that bad actually) so see these disparities on a regular basis.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

All i want is the Proto-Kongou to come back so i can buy her.

Proto-Kongou? You mean the Ishizuchi? It's worse than the Arkansas Beta tho. But it has pretty good match making compared to the Arkansas.

Arkansas can reload 12 guns in less than 25 secs. While it takes 30 secs to reload Ishi's 10 guns. And armour on Ishi is not as good as Arkan's.

[ASALT]
Beta Tester
12 posts
4,457 battles

Again, different management teams, different agendas.

Hey we have a choice of gun management teams. Gobildy Goop double talk.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

What on earth are you talking about?

Also, that [meh] swastika...

[_BST_]
39 posts
13,301 battles

My little say is Thorhorsemen doe's make a good point in that you have a product to sell to customers why not sell to all your customers in all available outlets sorely that makes sense in that you will satisfy all and bring in more money to the business . Seeing that is the aim of any business it's a strange marketing strategy to say that you can sell this but you can't sell that you will see more potential sales walking out the door to go elsewhere for the product . Keeping product aside for special advent yes okay but release it to the general public at a later date as a non premium product when a customer has hade time to see it and say shit I gotta get me one of those . I have been waiting for years for a game like WoWarships to come out and think any head office that sees a outlet not selling all product to all available customer is not performing to the best interest of the business . There I have said  my bit . Hey ! I got money to spend on some British and German ships if you want it Let's see if Asia server has the balls to say Hey Boss we need to give em' more to make more .... CASH !!

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

EU puts Item X on sale - NA/Asia jump up and down saying where is ours.

Forums flooded with threads like this.

Asia puts Item X on sale in a different package (no flags/with flags/no premium/with premium etc).

NA/EU jump up and down saying they got a better deal etc

Forums flooded with threads like this.

Meanwhile - punters are buying packages on all clusters in some part due to punter generated hype through threads like this.

Global marketing works (McDonalds - value meals), regional marketing works as well (McDonalds - you won't see a McOz in SG/PH/US/GB)

buy or don't buy based on your situation and feeling.  If you can afford the item, want the item and like the item then buy it, if you can't afford it, don't like it, don't want it then don't buy it.

406 posts
6,287 battles

Just as a side note in this discussion:

I'm english, but I live in NZ - today I saw the HMS Warspite on a limited time deal and thought 'Gadzooks! Time to pour a cup of Tea, Put on my Top hat and Monocle and go remind these Yanks and Japanese that it is still Britannia that rules the waves, quite."

I literally had my Credit card out and everything, even prepared to risk the disapproval of my wife....

And alas!

I could not buy it, for this was a European only offer.

I get the notion of targetting sales to where they are most likely to generate the most revenue.... But I want my Warspite :(