Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Lawiez

Advice on progressing up a tier for IJN CV

4 comments in this topic

37 posts
3,443 battles

I've finally gotten the tier 8 shokaku unlocked, but i'm a little hesitant to go up to tier 8.

I really loveeeeeee the tier 7 hiryu, its my go to ship when i'm on a losing streak with other lines. It sits at a very sweet spot for me, i feel its 222 loadout is a vast upgrade to the tier 6, and can hold my own against the superior usn fighters. It also rarely sees tier 9+ battles. 

Any other cv captains gone up to the shokaku? wondering what your thoughts are in terms of overall enjoyment / frustration / fun of going up a tier?

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

I'm 50+ battles in Hiryu and yes the 2-2-2 CAG is a step up From RJ's but RNG screws my fighters more than the enemy and MM screws Hiryu more than the teams.

But yes, using Hiryu really feels like you're using a CV

Super Tester
509 posts

For me 0-3-3 was the only way to go for serious damage and xp and why they are nerfing all JP CVs next patch to remove it =\ If I see other JP CVs with fighters they don't bother me in the least as I have so many spare planes I can happily throw them away all match and still never run out. What does suck is hitting higher level fighters though but after the patch that will never happen again though sadly the 0-3-3 loadouts will be gone also.

US CVs excel with fighter loadouts so if your focusing on those it might be best to change nations plus the US ones seem very powerful after a horrible grind through weaker versions.

One positive with the T8 is your dive bombers fly faster than the T7 fighters so they cant be caught so you can use them to distract while your TBs sink ships.

Maybe wait to go up till after the patch as I have a lot of battles vs T10 CVs which is quite painful unless you really ninja your TBs around the map to avoid the jets that shoot whole squads down in seconds.

Edited by Vyviel

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

For me 0-3-3 was the only way to go for serious damage and xp and why they are nerfing all JP CVs next patch to remove it =\ If I see other JP CVs with fighters they don't bother me in the least as I have so many spare planes I can happily throw them away all match and still never run out. What does suck is hitting higher level fighters though but after the patch that will never happen again though sadly the 0-3-3 loadouts will be gone also.

US CVs excel with fighter loadouts so if your focusing on those it might be best to change nations plus the US ones seem very powerful after a horrible grind through weaker versions.

One positive with the T8 is your dive bombers fly faster than the T7 fighters so they cant be caught so you can use them to distract while your TBs sink ships.

Maybe wait to go up till after the patch as I have a lot of battles vs T10 CVs which is quite painful unless you really ninja your TBs around the map to avoid the jets that shoot whole squads down in seconds.

Speaking of which, he is already going in US CV line up to tier 7

Sign in to follow this