Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DepthCharger

Do carriers guns work?

12 comments in this topic

12 posts
17 battles

The artillery guns? I've sunk a fair few CV's, often at close range and I don't ever recall one of them firing back at me despite a lot of the tier 6+ CV's having an impressive assortment of guns.

Having never played the class, do their guns even work?

1,230 posts
2,387 battles

The artillery guns? I've sunk a fair few CV's, often at close range and I don't ever recall one of them firing back at me despite a lot of the tier 6+ CV's having an impressive assortment of guns.

Having never played the class, do their guns even work?

If it's indy, then I don't doubt that it'll work, others I think it works

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

Remember at the battle of Leyte gulf a CV with it's 5inch gun detonated a IJN heavy cruiser's torpedo tube slowing it down enough for dive bombers to finish her off.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

if you using low tier US DD .. or even IJN DD at close range ... CV gun can do decent damage .... some time if DD come close to you and you can dodge the first wave of torp, then you can stay alive long enough too let CV gun kill that DD before they reload the torp ..

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Remember at the battle of Leyte gulf a CV with it's 5inch gun detonated a IJN heavy cruiser's torpedo tube slowing it down enough for dive bombers to finish her off.

Is it the Kumano if My head isn't failing me?
Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
630 posts
9,482 battles

Might you guys be talking about Chokai? (4th in the Takao-class)

Chōkai was hit amidships, starboard side, most likely by the sole 5 in (130 mm) gun of the carrier White Plains.[1] While the 20 lb (9.1 kg) payload of the shell could not pierce the hull, it set off the deck-mounted eight Japanese Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes, which were especially volatile because they contained pure oxygen, in addition to their 1,080 lb (490 kg) warheads. The explosion resulted in such severe damage that it knocked out the rudder and engines, causing Chōkai to drop out of formation. Within minutes, an American aircraft dropped a 500 lb (230 kg) bomb on her forward machinery room.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Choukai wasn't sunk by the bomb, but damaged enough they were ordered to scuttle her with torpedoes.

Later that day, she was scuttled by torpedoes from the destroyer Fujinami

Edited by Windforce

Sign in to follow this