You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
generalsarek

Camouflage

5 comments in this topic

9 posts
56 battles

Is it just me or does the camouflage work to well, I have lost count of the amount of straddles (shells landing in front and behind the target) I have got against chamo ships.

Go 7 in a row with my Cleavland agaisnt the tier 6 jap cruiser yesterday.  Straddles would indicated that my aim is correct, as apposed to all going long or all going short.

I never landed a shot until I closed to within 6kms.

So how does the -4% chance to hit work?, what is the normal chance?

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Is it just me or does the camouflage work to well, I have lost count of the amount of straddles (shells landing in front and behind the target) I have got against chamo ships.

Go 7 in a row with my Cleavland agaisnt the tier 6 jap cruiser yesterday.  Straddles would indicated that my aim is correct, as apposed to all going long or all going short.

I never landed a shot until I closed to within 6kms.

So how does the -4% chance to hit work?, what is the normal chance?

Look at your gun's dispersion stat. The stat shows dispersion at your gun's max range. So calculate the debuff off that, and you can roughly find the dispersion at the range you're shooting at.

9 posts
56 battles

"Look at your gun's dispersion stat. The stat shows dispersion at your gun's max range. So calculate the debuff off that, and you can roughly find the dispersion at the range you're shooting at. "

It seems to be 134m when you click on the main armament in the port.  It says that this is the maximum dispersion though, so is this at max range? So the funny paint drags my shells 0.04*134 = 2.24 meter's of target.

So the Aoba I was shooting at is only 15.2m wide, 4% x 134 = 5.36 meters.  So a dead center line shot will go 5.36 meters off target?.  So if the shell is 2.24 meters of the center line then it will go either to long or two short, is that how this works? (15.2 divide by 3 - 5.36).  This would also explain why I started hitting when the target was close enough for the AA secondaries to start shooting, ie close enough to through knifes at the opposing crew.

Note that this is only looking at the beam, haven't touched the length or height, but needless to say if the deck is less than 2.24 or is it 4.48 meters above the center line you will never hit it (dead center shot will be paint deflected buy 2.24 meters up or down).

Is my maths right? is this how it works?  If so then I think my original comment stands.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

When it says it decreases accuracy what it means is it increases your dispersion.

Here's a link on how dispersion works: Link

So at maximum range, your guns normally have a lateral dispersion of 134m. This means your shells can drop anywhere inside an ellipse 134m wide using Gaussian distribution. With the -4% accuracy, your dispersion at max range is increased to 139.36m, so the chances of your shells falling near the center is also slightly reduced as the distribution is now made over a wider area.

Note that the enemy's camo only affects you if you actually have the ship target locked (X key). However, if you don't use target lock, the dispersion is actually increased (most probably by much more than the enemy's camo would).