You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shavo

Chase the Carrier

23 comments in this topic

44 posts
2,858 battles

Am I just in unlucky games, or do people spot a carrier and despite them running off to chase it down meaning we'll lose, happen in other games too? It's like people make like Homer Simpson when he see's a squirrel and "needs" to chase it.

I've seen many games where the people would be better off capping either the base or an area to ensure we win. Instead, they'll go off to A1 to chase down the CV which leaves them completely out of position for the rest of the game and useless to their teammates.

Apologies if this has been posted before. Just sick of it happening in games I'm involved in.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Guess you underestimate the power of a carrier in a game... Yes, people will gamble everything they got to kill a carrier, no matter what. Just read about the Pacific War, one side try to kill carriers of the other side, no matter the cost. It can be stupid in a game... But it just the way people do.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

The sensible way is to have 1-2 ships chase down the Carrier while the rest of team cap.

Those who chase the CV would distract the planes from the cap, allow your teammates to finish capping. If u guys are lucky, you may be able to kill the CV before capping finish.

But ofcourse, random teammates, everyone do their own thing and don't play as a team. Not much can be done about that.

Alpha Tester
103 posts
1,499 battles

When your main objective is to capture to enemy base the enemy carrier is still a problem as long as they have planes and is outside detection range. They can easily send dive bombers and torpedo bombers to reset the cap and stall out a draw even with heavy AA defense (well that depends on the tier and number of ships).

Or it could be the "Kill all" mentality when you have beaten the pulp out of the enemy team, can't exactly predict your own team as well.

44 posts
2,858 battles

Guess you underestimate the power of a carrier in a game... Yes, people will gamble everything they got to kill a carrier, no matter what. Just read about the Pacific War, one side try to kill carriers of the other side, no matter the cost. It can be stupid in a game... But it just the way people do.

I don't underestimate the power of a CV at all but I've literally seen people leave the cap area when 10 more seconds more would get us the win to chase after a spotted CV. They take a big chunk of the capture points with them which results in, at best, a draw, when time eventually runs out.

72 posts
2,544 battles

Or it could be the "Kill all" mentality when you have beaten the pulp out of the enemy team, can't exactly predict your own team as well.

I don't underestimate the power of a CV at all but I've literally seen people leave the cap area when 10 more seconds more would get us the win to chase after a spotted CV. They take a big chunk of the capture points with them which results in, at best, a draw, when time eventually runs out.

Ohh I love these guys when they are in the enemy team. Not my team's fault we drag that to a draw. :child:

Edited by Calderhunt

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

As Jingles said, if you have a fast carrier in a mid to low tier game (Independence for example) and you sail out into the middle of the map, the enemy team will usually go nuts trying to sink you and lose their sense of priorities or teamwork (also run!!!) - sure fire way of winning a game in a CV , act as bait (hopefully your team will be competent enough)

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

To the pubbies, there's this unspoken honour of not giving quarter to the last few surviving ships on the enemy even if it means costing their victory. They rather kill all and have bragging rights bout killing that last ship rather than to shamefurry let those last few ships go to secure their win. 

I'd rather give quarter to surviving enemy ships if it means securing my win. But if I'm that last CV, I WANT them to chase me and drag it to a draw much to their expense 

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

To the pubbies, there's this unspoken honour of not giving quarter to the last few surviving ships on the enemy even if it means costing their victory. They rather kill all and have bragging rights bout killing that last ship rather than to shamefurry let those last few ships go to secure their win. 

I'd rather give quarter to surviving enemy ships if it means securing my win. But if I'm that last CV, I WANT them to chase me and drag it to a draw much to their expense 

But isn't it more sporting to let them win? Draws mean both sides lose and there's no shame in surrender with honour and letting someone else get their win they deserve

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

But isn't it more sporting to let them win? Draws mean both sides lose and there's no shame in surrender with honour and letting someone else get their win they deserve

hzckSoN.gif

YP0boZ1.gif

My CV captain and air boss scoffs at that notion.

Id5e9t8.gif

The last justice and duty as remaining ship, be it CV or any other class IMO is to stall their cap. Potentially dragging it to a draw. To me, rather a draw than a loss since that is, to me at least, the best form of revenge and reckoning for them.

O2OXNqE.gif

LET THERE BE RAGE FROM THE ENEMY!!!

PAY3PCc.gif

LET THERE BE HEAD BANGING FROM THE ENEMY!!!

eZrhISx.gif

DRINK THE ENEMY'S TEARS!!!

While my air boss and CV captain have their doughnuts

srnNRM4.gif

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

So Heartless @Makise - imagine if you were in their shoes :P

Pa8HgcFl.png

Yes I've spiralled down that dark abyss

oLMrgl9.gif

"Why should I waste my fuel and sanity when I can just sit on cap and guarantee a win?"

Don't mind being called a noob or any other names.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

since when this post become "anime face" post anyway CV is not like arty in wot ... they can spot and kill by them self so they can reset the cap easily cas capping kind of take longer than plane back to rearm and comeback if 1 on 1 they even can decide to cap your base along with keep reseting in the same time too ... if you're CA or DD then you have a chance but very hard on BB ...

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

You're correct, CVs aren't like WoT SPG in several important respects.

They can spot for themselves, not give themselves away, have better stealth than most ships, and can have a HUGE effect on the results.

They are superior to SPGs in every respect that matters.

A good player in an SPG is a waste of a good player; not true of a good player in a CV. Good CV players usually top the exp and damage results.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

You're correct, CVs aren't like WoT SPG in several important respects.

They can spot for themselves, not give themselves away, have better stealth than most ships, and can have a HUGE effect on the results.

They are superior to SPGs in every respect that matters.

A good player in an SPG is a waste of a good player; not true of a good player in a CV. Good CV players usually top the exp and damage results.

It is the "have better stealth than most ships" is the part I object to. You can see planes taking off and landing on them but the fact that can't spot the dirty great big capital ship seems quite nonsensical.

From a game play perspective what is the point of CV's having great stealth, given they are generally as far from the action as possible. All CV stealth does is to drag games out.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Yes, I have to object and agree in the same time about the stealth part, the object is since it big ship and have decent detection range, but no CV gonna stay in detection range forever or even got near the front line ... and agree part is ... when SPG fire it gun ... it lost it camo factor, but Launching plane not count as fireing a gun so it stay undetected. 

... but I have to object about "You can see planes taking off and landing"  since the plane mostly disappear as soon as they lower they altitude to land so you can just guess where they are but no exact position and it different from SPG that CV moving all the time ... even you see the plane land, you will not know what the ship heading too. so it harder to blind shot not like SPG that you can see shell white line coming out of gun barrel

420 posts
20 battles

I reverse, ive been in situation where all my left comrades (me and 2 others) decided to cap instead chasing the single left carrier. We all dead. Dont say that all three of us doing bad job evading incoming bombers, i saw how well it did. Just after a few evasion attempts, there were one or two hits that reset back the cap points.

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

CV's being such huge vessels have a very high camo rating in the game. But lets not get into that discussion as there are already sooooo many threads on the CV issue.

44 posts
2,858 battles

It's definitely not the case of underestimating a CV when he's out of aircraft and you choose to chase him. Just lost a game due to this. And the dude in prime position to cap was a DD, so could have stayed hidden somewhat if the opposition poked around (and in this case, the entire opposition was in no position to get to him).

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

Allright, I have seen a friendly cruiser throwing a winning game by getting out of the cap circle to chase and kill enemy CV who obviously had run out of planes..... Trully he had 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory'