You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DeadArashi

Battleships: Possible buffs

31 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

I will be frank, Battleships as is are just plain horrible to sail. They have poor mobility, get set on fire frequently, have a slow reload, horrible accuracy and have no way to counter torpedoes. It would be pointless to ask for a buff to mobility or loading time, their Battleships, it's how they should be. What I will suggest though are solutions to fire, accuracy and torpedoe counters;

(Reconsidered- Rejected) Fire: Rather then decreasing the chance of a fire occurring, just reducing the damage fire does to a Battleship would be more then sufficient. Battleships are, after all, bigger, more heavily armored then other ships so reducing the damage they receive over time wouldn't be an issue compared to reducing the chance of actually setting them on fire. 

Accuracy: I'm aware that in the next patch that Battleship accuracy (up to 3km) is getting a buff, this is good but that doesn't help when engaging targets further away, which is what they are meant to be doing. If you are getting within 3km of an enemy then you are playing it wrong. Cruisers have high accuracy and high RoF, they can comfortably hit their shots reliably on a Battleship while we suffer with inaccuracy and slow reload putting us at a major disadvantage at long range warfare which is what we are meant to excel at.

Torpedoes: Destroyers have them, Japanese Cruisers have them, Carriers get planes that have them... Battleships don't have them, nor do they have the maneuverability to dodge them like Destroyers and Cruisers do. By the time we can actually see them in the water it's too late. So I suggest this, either;

1) Increase the detection range of torpedoes for Battleships so they have the time to start making evasive maneuvers

or 

2) allow our secondary batteries to fire at torpedoes to destroy them before they get to us. This wouldn't have a 100% hit chance, something like a 10-20% chance to destroy torpedoes, this would not make other classes unusable

Apparently Battleships don't need a buff, in which case... nerf Cruiser/Destroyer RoF and torpedo damage

Edited by DeadArashi

Alpha Tester
878 posts
151 battles

Are you kidding me? Battleships are the most versatile. They are the "tanks" in this game. They also have the largest guns. Not to mention they can repair. Just because you YOLO and die doesn't mean Battleships should be made to be invincible. Let's say your guns destroy Torps that means destroyers and cvs are rendered useless.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Basically your suggestions are only for BB WITHOUT considering about the other ship ability

BB are Big, AND YET the most armoured ship in the game. Fire is one of VERY few method to take it down gradually, suggesting this is like making this game closer to "That Old Naval Game" with BB as the End ship

BB guns are powerful, admit it, no cruiser want stay at their own 60% range to the enemy battleship. Getting it buffed at all range will make them OP

Torpedoes in BB is good idea, BUT they have Torpedo Storage as well (and easier to detonate in battle as you receiving hit)

Make them EVEN vulnerable to DETONATION

And the other suggestion you make will make DD or destroyer unable to play the game

While it supposed they are the one to take those Capital ship to the bottom of the sea

Conclusion:

YOU ARE Somekind of sorry lot that want HER ship to be invincible regardless the balance

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

Are you kidding me? Battleships are the most versatile. They are the "tanks" in this game. They also have the largest guns. Not to mention they can repair. Just because you YOLO and die doesn't mean Battleships should be made to be invincible. Let's say your guns destroy Torps that means destroyers and cvs are rendered useless.

I don't YOLO, I sit behind cruisers and destroyers and in front of carriers, right where I'm meant to be. Did you lose you ability to read and not see that I said chance to destroy? as in it wouldn't make other classes useless nor would it make battleships invincible

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

Basically your suggestions are only for BB WITHOUT considering about the other ship ability

BB are Big, AND YET the most armoured ship in the game. Fire is one of VERY few method to take it down gradually, suggesting this is like making this game closer to "That Old Naval Game" with BB as the End ship

BB guns are powerful, admit it, no cruiser want stay at their own 60% range to the enemy battleship. Getting it buffed at all range will make them OP

Torpedoes in BB is good idea, BUT they have Torpedo Storage as well (and easier to detonate in battle as you receiving hit)

Make them EVEN vulnerable to DETONATION

And the other suggestion you make will make DD or destroyer unable to play the game

While it supposed they are the one to take those Capital ship to the bottom of the sea

Conclusion:

YOU ARE Somekind of sorry lot that want HER ship to be invincible regardless the balance

I don't want it invincible, I want it balanced and playable. Other classes just farm damage off Battleships while they can't hit anything and are left sitting in the water dick in hand after they shoot their guns while cruisers are putting their second volley down range (and accurately at that) before their first has even hit

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

1. Fire damage accounts for something like 10-20% of all damage done to battleships, and is regenerated fully by Repair Work. Maybe reducing the effectiveness of HE shell hits to the superstructure, sure, but devs have stated that fire damage is fine at the moment.

2. Accuracy up to 10km on battleships are fine. Any further is a bit of a crapshoot, but the RNG is built in to prevent battleships from outright slaughtering anything that it can hit. If you haven't noticed, BBs have a very, very high AP maximum damage value, and any accuracy boost would allow them to land more consistent citadel hits, resulting in instakills. Also, getting within 3km of lighter ships in a battleship may be a desirable outcome - not only is landing hits a lot more consistent, secondary batteries come into play.

3. Battleship torpedo dodging relies on the player already planning ahead instead of turning only when they see torpedoes present. This means random course changes and already turning if you see a destroyer making an attack run. Given the current abysmal torpedo hitrates of destroyers, I'm not fond of any further nerfs to destroyers (and before I get accused of being a DD player, check my profile as to which class I play the most).

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

1. Fire damage accounts for something like 10-20% of all damage done to battleships, and is regenerated fully by Repair Work. Maybe reducing the effectiveness of HE shell hits to the superstructure, sure, but devs have stated that fire damage is fine at the moment.

2. Accuracy up to 10km on battleships are fine. Any further is a bit of a crapshoot, but the RNG is built in to prevent battleships from outright slaughtering anything that it can hit. If you haven't noticed, BBs have a very, very high AP maximum damage value, and any accuracy boost would allow them to land more consistent citadel hits, resulting in instakills. Also, getting within 3km of lighter ships in a battleship may be a desirable outcome - not only is landing hits a lot more consistent, secondary batteries come into play.

3. Battleship torpedo dodging relies on the player already planning ahead instead of turning only when they see torpedoes present. This means random course changes and already turning if you see a destroyer making an attack run. Given the current abysmal torpedo hitrates of destroyers, I'm not fond of any further nerfs to destroyers (and before I get accused of being a DD player, check my profile as to which class I play the most).

1) Crossed out and rejected changes to fire damage anyway for that reason, it wasn't something overly concerning for me, just annoying.

2) I would say accuracy increase up to 7.5km would be desirable with it dropping off there, because there is also camo you can buy for ships that decrease enemy accuracy when they fire at your ship by 4% which would make a cruiser or destroyer even harder to hit considering their insane mobility. Bringing it into that 3km range after 4.1 goes live may be a very viable option but you will realistically only get one good volley of AP into their side before they are firing torps that you can't dodge and also turret rotation is just too slow to be able to help you once the enemy has passed and are behind still aiming at you with a full broadside.

3) I'm not going to accuse you of being a DD player, and, no disrespect, I don't care what your choice of ship is. Onto the topic at hand though. I can understand this, whenever I see a Destroyer, IJN Cruiser or a squadron of Torp bombers I assume that torps are already in the water and heading my way. But as I said above, with the effective accurate range being only 3km there's not a lot you can do between assuming and doing before you are suddenly flooding. I want to avoid asking for a nerf to torpedo damage because that would negatively impact Destroyers globally as well as the IJN Cruisers

Overall to me it just feels like there is too many negative points to the Battleship class in game when you compare it to the others

Edited by DeadArashi

Beta Tester
86 posts
208 battles

I can't see the issue with BBs and torps. It seems that every time I play a game, there would always be someone on my team driving that incredibly slow Fuso and be dodging torps like a destroyer. Mr1Vtcd.gif

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Accuracy: I'm aware that in the next patch that Battleship accuracy (up to 3km) is getting a buff, this is good but that doesn't help when engaging targets further away, which is what they are meant to be doing. If you are getting within 3km of an enemy then you are playing it wrong. Cruisers have high accuracy and high RoF, they can comfortably hit their shots reliably on a Battleship while we suffer with inaccuracy and slow reload putting us at a major disadvantage at long range warfare which is what we are meant to excel at.

No Thanks.

Cruisers do - 2000 Damage (HE) to you Per Salvo And they have lower Range (Given you haven't take any damage on that part - It will even be lower if it takes enough damage, I believe it is 50 % less and literally 0 when it reach the second damage point); You do 10000 Damage Per Citadel hit. And Remember they had a lot less health than you. People don't have the God-Like Accuracy yet right now - but when some do With the Buff you proposed for Battleship will become rather Overpowered. The RNG Factor in it keep it somewhat under control.

2) I would say accuracy increase up to 7.5km would be desirable with it dropping off there, because there is also camo you can buy for ships that decrease enemy accuracy when they fire at your ship by 4% which would make a cruiser or destroyer even harder to hit considering their insane mobility. Bringing it into that 3km range after 4.1 goes live may be a very viable option but you will realistically only get one good volley of AP into their side before they are firing torps that you can't dodge and also turret rotation is just too slow to be able to help you once the enemy has passed and are behind still aiming at you with a full broadside.

You would really hurt USN DD (And Others of Course, just that USN DD suffers even more) for that. (As for the reason, I don't want to talk about the issue of them right now again.)

Put it simple - They had ~7-8km Stealth, and 7.5km is exactly the most important range where USN DD do those Suicide Torpedo Runs. I Beg you - Give them a chance. The 3km Buff is more than enough.

I noticed you said AP Firing at Cruiser and DDs - You don't use AP against DDs right? Serious? Load some HE and Wreck them.

And Also, Anything Over 5km Right now is still Death Zone for anyone dare to Rush a BB. Under that it's a bit of RNG, but 5-8km Battleship are still Extremely Powerful - Just that you need to watch out for Torpedoes.

1) Increase the detection range of torpedoes for Battleships so they have the time to start making evasive maneuvers

There's a skill that increase it by 20%. Use it.

It's Ultra Long already. Over Tier 5 All IJN DD's Torpedo gives you At Least 10 Seconds to react - And even the USN DD with their Short Range Torpedo (Which you would expect balance wise would be harder to detect) give you also at least 8 seconds to react.

Credits: Umidoori

LdqZaSB.png

And Given all this is that you drive in a Straight line for 2 minutes and to let the Torpedo arrive to you.

2) allow our secondary batteries to fire at torpedoes to destroy them before they get to us. This wouldn't have a 100% hit chance, something like a 10-20% chance to destroy torpedoes, this would not make other classes unusable

If you can even let the torpedoes get nears to you and hit you - You are the one to blame.

Say a Minekaze Fire her 10km, 57 knots torpedo at you - Realistically you had At Least 1 minute to do all kind of turning, Slowing down, Wiggle, Turn around, Facing them to avoid them.

So you are telling me, that even I don't do any kind of precaution maneuver, there is still a chance that my AI Secondary that Require Absolutely no skill at all but Purely RNG to destroy them?

I don't see how is this "Fair".

Battleships are, funnily enough the most balanced class right now already.

I suppose Jingles' complaint to Battleship affected many people that BB is really "That" bad on accuracy and other stuff.

Oh well, Guess it's another BINGO!

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

Battleships are, funnily enough the most balanced class right now already.

I suppose Jingles' complaint to Battleship affected many people that BB is really "That" bad on accuracy and other stuff.

Oh well, Guess it's another BINGO!

In that case if I had made a post "Nerf torpedo damage" what would you say?

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

In that case if I had made a post "Nerf torpedo damage" what would you say?

If I am you I won't dare to try..... Just sayin....

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

If I am you I won't dare to try..... Just sayin....

Then there is no hope... so I did it anyway. Because I'm crazy like that 

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Then there is no hope... so I did it anyway. Because I'm crazy like that 

Torpedos are nowhere near as annoying as you think they are if you do wiggle around a bit. A Bit. And that makes a Huge difference.

Just that you are a Battleship - Think about it - Would I launch Torpedo at a Fuso or a Omaha?

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

Torpedos are nowhere near as annoying as you think they are if you do wiggle around a bit. A Bit. And that makes a Huge difference.

Just that you are a Battleship - Think about it - Would I launch Torpedo at a Fuso or a Omaha?

I'll try your suggestion but I will always hold a rather negative opinion towards torpedoes, probably because I had some negative experiences against them on the CBT

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

HE spam is annoying - I know. Who like being on fire all the time? I Bl____ Don't like if I keep getting HE-on by a Cleveland as well.

HE Damage should be reduced, but They need to be more consistent. Right now it's like you do 4000 damage suddenly and then next salvo you do 300.

As for fire chance, they need to think about how to "Rework" it instead of Straight out Nerfing it (Just like how SPG is in Tanks - They aren't OP and neither they are UP - But they are Annoying for Both the guy in it and they guy getting hit). May be it would only do 5% Damage to your ship - BUT the twist is that your AA effectiveness will be reduced? Or may be it differs from part to part? Just some Ideas.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

ideas are always welcome. Something needs to be changed somewhere, I want to enjoy it and I have games where it is fun but there are times where things just feel too unreliable. If they can make changes that bring in more consistency then I'm happy and will leave it at that 

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

actually Battleships where built for the sole purposed of being the all superior, that's why they were generally the flagships of a nations navy

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

actually Battleships where built for the sole purposed of being the all superior, that's why they were generally the flagships of a nations navy

And when plane's came along they were rendered effectively useless.

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

And when plane's came along they were rendered effectively useless.

yep, but remember, Battleships are apparently the most balance class in the game yet you can't ask for the other classes to be nerfed >_>

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

yep, but remember, Battleships are apparently the most balance class in the game yet you can't ask for the other classes to be nerfed >_>

Well compared to the rest they are. THE only gripe with them is their shell dispersion. that is their balancing factor but i do believe that needs to be lessened.

Want underpowered ships? Look  at the USN Destroyer line.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Battleship is the most balance class because they are the Least Broken. Not like it's without it's problem, but it is probably not the Devs Priority to change it given it's doing pretty well.

DDs:

- Torpedoes are Either Crazy overpowered or Crazy underpowered. Against weaker opponents that don't know how to evade of Course they are OP. Yet It doesn't help in Higher Tiers their Hit Ratio Descend faster than Rocket as people get better Yet the Damage output was not increased that much compare to lower tiers.

- As for USN DD, They are Right now High Skill Cap, High Risk but only gives Duh Reward. I personally do not think giving them 1 use of Barrage or 0.8 seconds more Shift time help. Smoke Buff is the thing I am still speculating on.

Cruiser:

HE Spam and Fire. Not much explanation needed anymore.

CV are - Well I don't want to go there again. Basically the only class you can turn around a game in your own hands - and you can decide whether it's balance like that.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

HE should be nerf in term of fire chance, the damage is fine

Torpedoes should be harder to hit but should be Catastrophic when hit

This game have Triangle system so DD can take down Battleship easier

Come from agility, smoke, and Torps

This is the current condition:

USN DD have weak to mediocre Torpedoes armaments, their guns are rendered useless against something bigger than

IJN DD have very unuseful Guns and good Torpedoes armaments. But Even More fragile compare to their counterpart. Those torpedoes storage have high chance to explode when hit

While somehow for balance their torpedoes can get spotted much earlier than their counterpart (and when in history Japanese Torpedoes is unnoticeable until contact)

AP round against BB from Something smaller than BB itself are quite useless

That's why everyone start using HE instead

BB superior? Well, explain to me why we need to escort them in Both world war???

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,090 battles

Last I checked, despite being all powerful and superior, they needed escorts and navies were particularly worried about them when the torpedo was invented