You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Monolith_Preacher

Cheatland: CHEAT CONFIRMED!(jk) HE Citadel hit VS BB

18 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
266 posts
3,486 battles

No, you're not going to need the bingo card. I just want to know the correct explanation on how the hell did my Cheatland(Cleveland) hit the Myogi's Citadel with HE

SYHZCXG.jpg

Yes, I am aware with the lack of armor of that ship. But not to the point that HE can get through it easily like the Bogue

O5sSwmI.jpg

So I'd like to know... HOW

I regret that I did not manage to secure a replay so the said pics were the only evidence that I have.

Drawn out a few theories but not enough evidence to prove :<

Shell went through the smokestack?

While Rudel can do it with his Stuka, the Cheatland can do it with its gun? But given the trajectory, there's a probability not to head down straight the funnel. And there's a possibility that smokestacks aint a hollow tube hitbox *stares at WG devs*

Aliens!Buggy armor schemes/hitbox

It's been there since World of Tanks. There should be a tiny patch of plate there that must have zero armor. GJ for hitting it i guess?

It's normal and your aim sucks so you cant Citadel it with HE!

Self Explanatory

This is a part of WG's F2W plan! :trollface:

Cheatland is non prem and HE is so OP that it can go through BB armor with ease. FREE TO WIN INDEED!

Now, please enlighten me

thank you in advance :)

-Kotono _(:3」∠)_

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Replay would show you. Screenshots wont allow us to see what took place, and where you hit, to pen with HE. My guess is that you hit a weak area, just above a magazine, thus causing a detonation. But then again, your screenshot doesn't show how much health the target had left either.

So enlighten us, by providing the replay. 

13 posts
928 battles

I have always used HE and somehow i got to know where to hit a CV's citadel consistently. Still trying out other type of ships though. :)

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

From that range, it looks like it went tru the top deck which has weaker armor. (I could be wrong)

I agree, the Cleveland has a higher trajectory so the shots drop more, so that's the most possible way it penetrated, through the deck.

72 posts
2,544 battles

Not a cheat - the Myogi is at 9.4km away from you, meaning it's possible that your HE shells could have plunged through the deck.

Syanda made a really post on this topic, read for reference :- http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/6821-citadels-and-you-your-guide-to-massive-damage/

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Regardless of the 'how', it strikes me as rather fanciful.

Distance from top deck to anything significantly explosive, especially magazines, would be huge. The blast triggered on deck simply could not, under any conceivable circumstances, reach the ship's vitals. Pretty much every ship, even 'old' ones, had multiple decks.

Indeed part of armour design in later ships was to have a thicker deck below the upper one, the idea being the upper one would trigger the fuse and the heavier, internal decks would mitigate the blast and fragments.

Especially silly from a 6" gun, which is essentially a pop-gun in naval terms.

72 posts
2,544 battles

Distance from top deck to anything significantly explosive, especially magazines, would be huge. The blast triggered on deck simply could not, under any conceivable circumstances, reach the ship's vitals. Pretty much every ship, even 'old' ones, had multiple decks.

Indeed part of armour design in later ships was to have a thicker deck below the upper one, the idea being the upper one would trigger the fuse and the heavier, internal decks would mitigate the blast and fragments.

What if the plunging shell landed on the part of the deck close enough to the funnel/magazine under the turret? That technically negates the distance.

Especially silly from a 6" gun, which is essentially a pop-gun in naval terms.

Well since OP's screenshot didn't show, the damage should be the maximum damage of the shell so it'd be like, 2k+ damage for that HE citadel hit?

In comparison, if the Myogi returned fire with AP and scores a citadel hit, that's a whooping 10k damage per shell there.

Edited by Calderhunt

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

What if the plunging shell landed on the part of the deck close enough to the funnel/magazine under the turret? That technically negates the distance.

The turret itself is mounted in a barbette; essentially an armoured trunk that extends all the way down a bunch of decks to where the powder charges and shells are moved from magazines into the base of that trunk. That's the equivalent of several stories in a building, and there are multiple decks, some of them armoured, between the top deck and vitals. So, no, wouldn't matter.

Killing the funnel can interrupt air flows etc. But it won't kill the engines/boilers directly.

6" HE shells doing critical damage to any vital, major component of a major warship is pure fiction. I've often mentioned the Battle of the River Plate as a great example of the differences between a 6" shell and an 11".

Adm Graf Spee was hit anywhere from 30-50 times yet suffered no significant impairment of her combat ability other than damage of 1 secondary gun (which in WoWS is a case of 'big deal') and some AA guns.

Her 6 x 11" guns, meanwhile, left Exeter (CA with 6 x 8" guns) a near wreck with no main guns firing and speed reduced to about 11kt, and were starting to demolish the 6" CLs when she turned away (which was a major mistake on her part, frankly).

WG has GROSSLY distorted the damage potential of shells to favour lighter calibres. A 16" AP shell, for example, has over 10 TIMES the bursting charge of an 8".

So they did it for 'balance'. Fine. But there should be a limit on just how silly it gets.

1,230 posts
2,391 battles

It might have hit the deck agasint the main gun and all the blow a hole down into the hull of the ship and hit the ammo rack. I have no idea. Just my knowledge from playing war thunder in my m4 105mm howitzer :trollface:

Too much............realism, in warships it's not same as WT

72 posts
2,544 battles

The turret itself is mounted in a barbette; essentially an armoured trunk that extends all the way down a bunch of decks to where the powder charges and shells are moved from magazines into the base of that trunk. That's the equivalent of several stories in a building, and there are multiple decks, some of them armoured, between the top deck and vitals. So, no, wouldn't matter.

Killing the funnel can interrupt air flows etc. But it won't kill the engines/boilers directly.

6" HE shells doing critical damage to any vital, major component of a major warship is pure fiction. I've often mentioned the Battle of the River Plate as a great example of the differences between a 6" shell and an 11".

Adm Graf Spee was hit anywhere from 30-50 times yet suffered no significant impairment of her combat ability other than damage of 1 secondary gun (which in WoWS is a case of 'big deal') and some AA guns.

Her 6 x 11" guns, meanwhile, left Exeter (CA with 6 x 8" guns) a near wreck with no main guns firing and speed reduced to about 11kt, and were starting to demolish the 6" CLs when she turned away (which was a major mistake on her part, frankly).

WG has GROSSLY distorted the damage potential of shells to favour lighter calibres. A 16" AP shell, for example, has over 10 TIMES the bursting charge of an 8".

So they did it for 'balance'. Fine. But there should be a limit on just how silly it gets.

I'm no expert in real-life naval warfare tech but I get what you're at.

That and it's OP's Cleveland vs the existing-only-in-schematics Myogi. I suppose the designers were done high on something after putting up the St Louis and were sobering as they worked on the idea of the Myogi.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

^

Cleveland is FAR less OP than it was in Alpha/CB, believe it or not. Changes to damage mechanics plus the fact that it now has citadel zones others in fact can hit have changed it considerably.

Still powerful, yes, but also more vulnerable.

All the other stuff I mentioned really is more around the general damage model for the game. Sure, they dumbed things down for playability, but I happen to think they went too far in some areas.

Cheers

Beta Tester
18 posts
2,141 battles

It really comes down to how to model the realism (where to start and where to stop).

For example running a DD on a bright day within 10km's of a BB would be suicide in real life. They used wherever possible the cover of dark etc. Now night battles would be great fun!!

To the OP I think the citadel hits are probably due to the Game dynamics with plunging fire to a lightly armoured portion of the ship.